Skip to content

The (solo no-reload) adventures of Norgath, dwarven Bounty Hunter of Candlekeep

Comments

• RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    I enjoyed Reading about Norgath’s adventures with the Lichs. Few moments can make my heart beat faster than being hit with Time Stop.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    @Blackraven:

I didn't catch that. Those are indeed some great saves. Without the fear of death rays or petrification, I can indeed see a dwarven defender just carving them up. Any advice, should I take him to Amn, on what his load out should be? Solo no-reload runs tend to end quickly if you don't know what you are doing.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Yeah, my first foray into soloing was a Berserker to Thief at high level. Rage was pretty much my trump card in any mage fight, and there were some Mazes cast iirc. It wasn't no-reload, and was ages ago, but it was some good, silly fun. Charm and especially maze auto-death really makes life harder, Maze is hard to prevent for non-arcane PCs.
    Do the robe and amulet speed up scroll casts? That'd be a good solution, other than desperately hoping to interrupt a casting time 3 spell. :neutral:
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725

In one of the images above you can see he rolled a 1 (a "critical miss") to save vs the Prismatic Spray Trap, and save he did :)

THIS IS PRICELESS! This gives a further confirmation to one the most debatable questions about BG.

It confirms http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/366488/#Comment_366488 and http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/232366#Comment_232366

Thanks, Blackraven, not only for this alone but for the tale as a whole. Let it continue!
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486

@Blackraven: Marvelous work recovering in the fight with Lavok. Good to see Norgath doing well.

As for Maze and Imprisonment in SCS2, I'm not sure what the behavior is. I know Kangaxx doesn't use Imprison on Charname, even when Charname is the only on around and his other tricks aren't working. But I just saw Rovala get Mazed by the Cowled Wizards. Maybe it's because Maze can be blocked with MR, and Imprisonment cannot be.

@semiticgod, thank you!
    I just read about the Cowled ones. Norgath will have to be careful (or pay, which my charnames normally refuse), because he also has had his warning already...
    Well, if you're feeling really patient, you could try trapping the bejeesus out of an area before summoning the Wizards... I can't remember how many times it takes before you get the big encounter though, and I certainly don't know how you could beat them if traps fail. Obviously leaving the area might help though. :tongue: Paying might not be a terrible choice though, if you think you'll be triggering them much.
    Orc Armour? You don't actually need missile resistance though I think, so just fuggetaboudit. Its a crummy dungeon anyways unless you can use the FotA, or need Ol Frosty.

Nah, the Orc Leather is way too overpowered. It'd ruin the challenge.

Agreed.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    That armor is seriously nice. Getting 100% MR is nothing to sneeze at, and the elemental resistances are nice. That said, I almost thought the run would end at the planar sphere.

However...poor guard captain. A good man he was!
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    edited February 2015
    @SionIV, @semiticgod, and @DreadKhan, thanks for your input. I'm inclined to go after the FoA after all, for the nice elemental damages. I can see it be of use against Time-trapped wizards, to get rid of their Stoneskins and other protections, and to slow them before they're back in business. I might nevertheless wait with it until Chapter 6.
    Grum said:

That armor is seriously nice. Getting 100% MR is nothing to sneeze at, and the elemental resistances are nice. That said, I almost thought the run would end at the planar sphere.

However...poor guard captain. A good man he was!

@Grum, the armor (50) together with the Belt of the Inertial Barrier (50) give 100 resistance against magic damage (e.g. Magic Missile damage etc). True MR will have to come from other items and later on 10 innate MR.

You were not the only one to fear fear for Norgath's life in that encounter with Lavok btw.

As to the guard captain, he may have meant well, but please be reminded that he was just a puppet of the Cowled Wizards who only seek to acquire and maintain a power monopoly in Athkatla (and probably beyond), and would even sideline the Council of Six for that purpose. A very dangerous ambition of that venal coterie. It's a good thing that the likes of Aran Linvail, Renal Bloodscalp, Norgath, Black Lily et al are there as a counterforce to contain the Cowled ones.
    Are you sure you'll be able to actually hit anyone with it reliably? Non-proficient is -3 for Rogues, right? And your THAC0 isn't that hot to begin with, unless you used a mod to make it better than base 10. I would expect you'll get far more mileage out of the Scarlet Ninja-to, which you are proficient with at least. It does poison, right? Not always reliable, but should work through Stoneskin I think, and it will help shut down mages too. 3 poison attempts per round will probably give good odds of poisoning, and once poisoned, it can make life difficult. 2 apr with flail and bad THAC0 vs 3 with the Scarlet and much better THAC0 seems a no-brainer, but ymmv.