Skip to content

The (solo no-reload) adventures of Norgath, dwarven Bounty Hunter of Candlekeep

Comments

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    edited March 2015
    Hey @Alesia_BH, long time no see! What a pleasant surprise to read your kind words here, thank you. To be honest it was one of the five keys you mentioned, a lack of knowledge of SCS/Ascension ToB, that did Norgath in. I'll do what I can though to make sure his Dwarven Fighter/Thief sister Glorydd's tale continues where Norgath's adventure ended. (This will include completing a playthrough of ToB with Norgath with reloads allowed.)

No idea if/when you're going to read this but, as I've done before, I'd like to tell you that it would be great to see you back in action again, even if your knowledge of the game has grown a bit rusty. :wink:
    Post edited by Blackraven on
  • johntyljohntyl Member Posts: 397
    edited July 2015
    Sorry, I'm new here. Where does Norgath get his "Sound Defense Short Sword +2, Composite Shortbow +2" and Deep Red Ioun Stone from?
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    That swarm! Helm's breath that was an army! Man am I jealous on getting to face that.

Also:

"The bandits then found out the hard way that Norgath had previously swigged two potions of fire resistance and that he owned a Necklace of Missiles."

That is why you don't fight dwarven bounty hunters.
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Blackraven said:
    There were no heroics, no duel. For Norgath was no knight; he was a hardened killer and a hunter. Swift, deadly strikes from the shadows were Sarevok's bane.

I love it! Your destiny awaits Norgath!
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Oh nooooooooo! Well, it was a good run, and very insightful. I'm super pumped for the next attempt.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    edited August 2015
    My apologies for the bad advice, @Blackraven. I have to take responsibility for this.

I read @Alesia_BH's post on the other forums. Apparently the fixpack is responsible for the absence of immunity to web. With the fixpack, it only gives immunity to Hold I and Hold II, opcodes 109 and 175.

But it was my understanding that even immunity to Hold I, opcode 109, you had immunity to both Hold Person and Web, and that the "Web overlay" effect as it's named in Near Infinity, opcode 157, is merely a visual effect, since Web uses both opcodes 109 and 157, as opposed to just 157. The spider item, ANTIWEB, grants immunity to both, as does the SCS2 component that gives large creatures immunity to Web. This would suggest that the web overlay effect is only a visual effect--why else would Web, and immunity to Web, also use opcode 109?
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    We know that Norgath will be back, this is the good point (6 weeks would be better than 6 months...)
    Thanks @Nimran (I thought you were only going to post terrible things :wink: ) and @Musigny (I hope we're going to see more no-reload attempts of yours, I only read about Sidhonie's sad end today, my condolences).

Norgath's end was a bit sad. I hadn't played since the weekend, and the incident happened literally within 5 minutes :smiley:

No worries @semiticgod, things like this happen. I hope to have a Gnome Cleric/Thief enter the challenge sometime soon. (Btw I agree with your above analysis.)
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Er, your mother was a hamster, and, uh, stuff! Yeah! Terrible! :trollface:
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100

Norgath, Dwarven Bounty Hunter, 2nd & final BG2 report

I'm sorry to report that Norgath died in the Athkatla Tombs. A Giant Spider Held him. There were other Spiders nearby. He got poisoned and died.

My mistake was to assume that Arbane's Sword, which Norgath had equipped in the off-hand, protected against Web. On the forums I've found differing statements on how Arbane's Sword is supposed to work. @bengoshi has mentioned that in BG2EE the blade doesn't protect against web; whereas @semiticgod (who plays the original game, like me in this case) says that Arbane's Sword does protect against Web.

Sorry Norgath, for letting you down. I know you'll be back some day, perhaps in 6 months or so.
    That is a really bad way to go. I'm really sorry to hear it, I was enjoying this thread. :(
  • VigilcomaVigilcoma Member Posts: 3
    Hi!

Thats awesome!!!
    Where can i find Norgaths portrait to download? :)
    edited December 2016
    Hey @Vigilcoma, thank you! Norgath is certainly my most successful no-reload character, probably my most memorable, and maybe even my favorite :sunglasses: I had to dig a bit to find the portrait, but here you go:

Edit: I don't know who the artist is, so can't give credit. The portrait can be found here.