Skip to content

You know it's a normal day in the forum when...

Comments

• Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    Shandyr said:

831. When you notice that "agrees" no longer fetch you 2 points each. :/

Were agrees ever supposed to give you 2 points each?
    Not sure about what they were supposed to give, but they did give you 2 points each earlier.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214

832. When you suddenly remember that there is a points system
    833. When you find a thread you like and comment on it solely for the purpose of getting you one step closer to another badge
    834. When that last one is partially a lie because I really do love this forum
    835. When you come to the sudden realization that "You know it's a normal day in the forum when" is the most meta of all threads on the forum
    836. When you facepalm for not realizing 835. sooner
    837. When someone's post drags on for no real reason
    838. When the meme thread discusses memes that have been previously posted instead of actually posting more memes
    839. When you realize that in addition to 835. the "You know it's an normal day in the fourm when" thread is also a meme in and of itself
    840. Ditto for the meme thread

A memetic comment :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    Shandyr said:

Also forum reactions can actually be a hindrance. Because people can watch and learn what generates a lot of forum reactions. So they may actually change their behavior and not be themselves just to generate more of them.

I've seen posts that absolutely reek of this.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Shandyr Because as gamers, we have to gameify EVERYTHING.

843. When foruming is gamefied.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    844.) When you make a game out of getting reactions. (Not that I ever do this, of course. But I could.) ;)
    fluke13 said:

Sometimes no reactions are better. On the unpopular opinions thread, my post had no reactions, no comments, nada … I'd say that's a win right there :D

I tend to "like" posts in that thread that I think are unpopular. Kinda of a, "Hey, that was a good one. Point for you."
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    845. When people discuss why we have forum reactions, anyway.
    846. When people wonder if Forum reactions and points are merely there, as one person long ago put it, "to measure their e-peen."
    847. I wonder how soon people will discuss people bringing back dislikes and disagrees.
    848. Yet, I know this will never happen.
    edited September 2018
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    LadyRhian said:

846. When people wonder if Forum reactions and points are merely there, as one person long ago put it, "to measure their e-peen."

I've seen a forum where the unit was actually labeled "e-cock." I don't think I could tolerate being an a forum that actually used that specific label. The word itself would just be embarrassing. I mean, it was right under people's usernames.

I'm sure there are forums where people take such numbers very seriously and believe they convey rank (a view which is probably localized in the people with the high numbers and no one else), but the old-timers around here with high point counts have pretty consistently said that they are not important and should not be taken seriously. I think that's the ideal view.
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    edited September 2018
    @Shandyr
    I feel like you're taking the whole reactions things a little too personally. We're not here to get reactions, we're here to enjoy the forum, but if we get reactions it's not a bad thing to be proud of that.

That doesn't mean that it belittles people who don't get reacts, it's like you said; people have different tastes and we have to except that. Is it wrong to change yourself to get reactions? Absolutely. But it's clear that you aren't doing that, I'm not doing that, and when I look around I can't identify anyone that is doing that.

If we don't get reactions, of course it isn't going to be the end of the world, but I think being able to tell people what you think increases the feeling of camaraderie between everyone here at the forums.
    Post edited by ZaramMaldovar on
    edited September 2018
    But the Internet is all about cats. Ask YouTube :)
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Shandyr said:

849) ...when you disagree with a moderator.

Reactions are there to reward people for posting comments that are likable, agreeable, and insightful. People like getting likes, agrees, and insightfuls, so they try a little harder to make posts that enrich the community.

Comments "are" not likable, agreeable or insightful by themselves. Other people may seem them that way or not.

Someone may as well formulate a negative opinion about Beamdog and earn likes and agrees for that. Enrichment? That someone may also formulate their opinion harsher than intended to earn more reactions. Enrichment? People may overreact on purpose and post polarizing opinions just to earn more reactions. Enrichment? If a community cannot tell anymore if their members behave a certain way because that's who they are or because they want to maximize their reaction income. Enrichment? People may also spam the same content on different places on the forum to get more reactions. Enrichment?

And if people like getting reactions, then think about how people feel who don't get many reactions DESPITE TRYING. Try harder? It doesn't matter because not only do you have to try harder but you also have to cater to the tastes of the many in order to maximize your reaction income.

I feel like shit when I feel like I'm trying my best but people have different tastes (which is totally fine).
    But other people who do cater to the tastes of the "masses" they get more reactions. And thus their contribution is seen as more of an enrichment than mine?

Should I stop my Icewind Dale to HoMM3 project because of a low reaction income - simply because there are not as many people on this forum anymore who appreciate such a project as they did back then with my first map? Does that mean my Icewind Dale to HoMM3 project is less of an enrichment as some funny memes that get more reactions?

Do you see my way of thinking in this very comment as an enrichment? Well it was the forum reactions who paved the way to this kind of thinking in this very post that you will not give an agree, likeable nor insightful.

Because this very post is no enrichment to the community.
    (See what I did there? Shouldn't you change your opinion about placing an "agree" now?)
    @Shandyr:

Having forum members who can drive a serious discussion (even off topic in a light hearted one) is more important than having those who attempt to farm reactions.
    I think those forumites enrich this community more than anything else this forum offers.
    Let's put this into a different perspective. Does having reactions on posts matter? Does having forum points matter? If the answer to these questions is "no", then what is the point you are trying to make? If the answer to either of those questions is "yes", how do they matter? Is it positive or negative? What effect do you think they are having on the forum at large, if any?

Hmmmm, maybe this should be its own thread?
    edited September 2018
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    450. When you find that a casual observation that you made has inspired a serious discussion, and you cannot help but feel amused at how unpredictable the future can be.
    edited September 2018
    edited September 2018
    @Shandyr
    Sorry that was actually a typo, I meant to say you AREN'T doing that.

I profusely apologize for the implications that my typo created, that was NOT my original intention. I was trying to convey that I don't think most of us are trying to farm any reactions, at least nobody that I've noticed.
    edited September 2018
    edited September 2018
    I believe this has come to a point the thread should be split. It is an interesting topic after all... I won't do it right now because there are many partially on topic comments that would look strange on a new thread.
    @Shandyr
    I'm not saying that I don't see your points, all I'm saying is that I feel that the positive atmosphere that the forum normally has outweighs the negative aspects that you put forward, which I feel may have come across a bit too harshly. Then again, I sometimes have trouble understanding social cues and can't always identify when I'm being rude, so the same being the case for identifying if others are being rude is possible. (Hooray Aspergers!)

In any case, I would really appreciate if the thread would return to relative normalcy instead of continuing this arguably uncomfortable topic.
    853. When another mistake causes the numbers to jump back 400 and it takes several hours for someone else to notice