Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    @semiticgod, congrats on your successful experiment with Blueberry! I'm glad she's enjoying herself in Spiders paradise :)
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I've made some corrections to the kits. Some imbuements weren't functioning correctly, which isn't surprising. Creating the imbuements required a lot of spell effects, and each imbue spell had to cast 3 other spells to operate effectively. Also, one of the peculiarities of the engine is that critical hit roll modifiers, like spell level modifiers, DUHM, and the chant effect, do not stack, which means that Bloody Howard has only had a +1 bonus to his critical hit roll, because his latest Brute bonus (+1) overrided his level 1 bonus (+5, which was itself a mistake). Now Bloody Howard lands a critical hit on a 16 or higher, or 15 if he's using a two-handed weapon, as he always is. By level 22, he'll land a critical on every other hit.

The kits so far:

The Beholder Cleric:
    Salim's kit is a little more powerful than I expected, since Spell Revisions buffs healing spells. Also, I was wrong when I suspected it would be wiser to dual-class him. Salim gets extra castings of his healing rays at higher levels, which means that a level 11 dual would only get one casting of the Heal ray, while a level 17 single class would have 3. This means the Beholder Cleric can actually heal other characters fast enough to make a difference in their survival.

In vanilla BG2, healing spells were only really effective and reliable outside of combat, because they healed so little (a lot less than healing potions), had such poor range, and had very high casting times. Salim's healing power is high enough that his primary benefit to the party comes from his healing spells, and for most clerics, their greatest strength comes from non-combat healing and pre-combat buffs. Finally, I have a cleric that makes a difference in the thick of combat.

The Hexer:
    Gimuken is much less powerful than I had thought. Even without offering a saving throw, it's not clear the hexes and curses are much use. Having a -3 penalty to saves, damage, and THAC0 for 6 rounds is pretty nice, but that hex is a 5th level spell, and the area of effect is no better than Hold Person. Is it really any better than a Greater Command spell, or Chaotic Commands, or Raise Dead, Mass Cure, Magic Resistance, or Righteous Magic? Plus, the synergy is really terrible: the party isn't very heavy on disablers, so the save penalties don't mean much. Adoniki, our sorcerer, has many purposes, and disablers are only occasionally her best option, even with hexes to bolster her power. Nor can we flood the area with Fireballs, since fire resistance is a lot harder to get in SR. Finally, with our party's weapon range fairly restricted (half the party is a divine spellcaster, and one of them doesn't use weapons, which means we aren't even using IR's heavily nerfed Darts of Wounding or Darts of Stunning. Hopefully he'll be of more use when he gets his 7th-level Hexer spell, which has a whole bunch of crazy disablers, and not just little penalties.

The Brute:
    Only three party members actually attack on normal occasions, and Blood Howard has about 60-70% of the party's kills. His damage output is quite strong, and with his stats corrected, he should be landing more criticals. Likewise, he really is suffering in terms of his defenses. His AC has yet to drop below 0, even though he's our main tank. Fortunately for us, Item Revisions offers a truly marvelous set of leather armor: the Orc Leather, which grants an amazing 20% resistance to physical damage, equivalent to full plate mail. Bloody Howard could be all but invincible once he gets Hardiness and the Fortress Shield. @Demivrgvs may have simply intended the Orc Leather +2 to be a stronger leather armor, but it's actually one of the best armors in the game. At first I thought it was a mistake, but the item description lists both the base 5% standard leather resistance on top of the 15% unique bonus resistance. Either way, Bloody Howard will be somewhat less easy to kill. A Brute is not like a Kensai, whose penalties can be overcome with a necklace from BG1.

The Sorcerer:
    With frequent rests, this build is actually noticeably better than the normal sorcerer, at least with Spell Revisions installed. The greater spell variety opens up a lot of new options. But the low number of spell slots is also felt very strongly: often, Adoniki chooses her spells not based upon what her best option is, but on what spell levels she needs to save for later on. Overall, it's about as balanced as the original, but it's also more fun.

The Soulbinder:
    I've finally reached a point where Molly's song is more or less balanced. Now, her song lasts 12 seconds (but still triggers every 6 seconds) and grants +2 to hit, damage, saves, and AC, and +1 to casting speed, but the imbuement penalties are the same. This means that the bonuses with the song are equal to the penalties without the song. It also means that the Soulbinder will remain an important party member even for the most coldhearted power gamer such as myself: it is not practical to take a Soulbinder into the party, only to kick them out once the rest of the party has gotten some imbuements. The penalties from the Soulbinder's absence are too severe. Also, none of the imbuements have so far proven game-breaking. They are flashy and cool, but they don't render any battle inconsequential.

There is still, however, one way to abuse Soulbinders. You could always just create multiple Soulbinders in a multiplayer game and then kick all but one of them out after using their imbuement spells. Escape Chateau Irenicus with Charname and five Soulbinders, and your Charname can have a 50% boost to his her XP growth, double movement rate, and 100% magic resistance, and only one Soulbinder would be necessary to ameliorate the imbuement penalties. Start out in ToB with a Fighter/Mage, and they'll be summoning Planetars before they fight Illasera, and draining 5 levels with every melee attack.

Still, booting the Soulbinders isn't necessarily cost-free. You do still lose +4 to hit, damage, AC, and saving throws, and a +2 to casting speed, for each Soulbinder you remove from the party, since the songs stack. But every additional Soulbinder is one party member that's never swinging a sword or casting a spell.
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027

To my relief, the first batch of Trolls in the Druid Grove has no Spirit Trolls in it. Unfortunately, the second group does. The party gets hit by a Greater Command spell, sure enough, and Bloody Howard himself is targeted by most of the enemies. Bloody Howard is doomed--there's nothing I can do to keep him alive.

Just a couple of comments for your readers IIRC:
    Depending on the package, Improved Torgal or Improved De Arnise Keep grants the magical spells to the trolls. Obviously they change the trolls placement, number and sub race on the related maps. On the druid grove map, this is a bit different. Tactics Tougher Druid Grove always adds many creatures including trolls. In Stratagems this is a bit hidden and grouped in the minor encounters (bg2_tactical group). Even though the doc is explicit about the presence of this component, it does not tell you which creatures are deployed and the answer is : the same (just a cre file swap but no detectable difference for the user).
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    A nice progress, @Blackraven , thanks for sharing! Those mod components seem interesting. Did the cultists carry any OP items?
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Thank you @bengoshi. :)
    The Cultists didn't carry OP stuff. They all had +2 Ripper bows and +1 Maces. The Half-Orc boss had a fairly nice robe (good AC) but not very useful to any of Butch's party members.
    You need a renamed weidu binary (for instance setup-spidermod.exe).
    You have to create a tp2 file with the commands that the binary will interpret at run time. (setup-spidermod.tp2)
    And you are very likely to use a text file with the descriptions of the new kits/items/spells - anything requiring a new string reference that weidu will add to the dialog.tlk file for you. This file can be translated into another language and the translation can be taken into account with a minimal effort.

The tp2 structure is explained in the chapter 9 of the weidu documentation.
    If all your files are ready (noticeably the 2da files for your kits) then the component section of your kit will primarily contain a double command : ADD_KIT (or COPY_KIT) and if you want your kit to be deployed on ee you also need fl#add_kit_ee (which is not fully integrated into the usual weidu structure), the documentation of which is a bit hidden under the weidu/lib/fl#add_kit_ee directory of the weidu package.

See this additional documentation for BG2 (pre EE, a few things have changed, see also ToBEx if you target the original games).
    http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=584
    http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=612
    http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=898
    http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=939

and here for EE (in addition to the official documentation):
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/34119/how-to-making-kit-mods-for-the-ee/p1
    @Musigny: I've gone over the tutorial thingies in the links you posted, and it seems my problem was using a simple text file rather than the TP2 file it needed. But I got a new error message (the last one said it couldn't find the dialog.tlk file). It says it's a parsing error.

Attached is the text of the TP2 file (as a .txt file, since I can't post the actual TP2 file). I'm not sure what I need to add, or correct, to get things working. Any ideas? @Demivrgvs?
    @semiticgod
    Syntax: the triple end at the bottom of your file is not required.
    There are other comments about your package. I will directly write them in your file and post the package here. (this evening european time).
    edited June 2015
    @semiticgod
    a bit ahead of schedule...
    NOT a functional package as I do not have your spells and kit files but I included several comments. See the tp2 file.
    Moved to weidu 238 (latest stable release).
    Best of luck for this new playthrough.
    My cleric/illusionist is one of my favorite charname, the name's Blue ... and her ferret Mignardise !
    @Musigny: It's working! Thank you! I'd have had no idea how to make this work. I can add a Phase Spider fighter kit and it works fine.

My only remaining problem is that I don't know how to install a non-fighter kit. To create a Phase Spider druid kit, for example, I copied all of the fighter files into a new folder, and edited the TP2 document to replace the fighter version with the druid version. Incidentally, the CLAB files, spell files, item files, and effect files are all the same, regardless of whether the spider is a mage or a thief. Problem is, when I install the druid version, it just adds that kit to the fighter menu. So on character creation, I can choose two extra kits for fighters, one of which is the druid kit (CLABPHDR) and one of which is the fighter kit (CLABPHFI), but no extra kits for druids.

Attached is the folder with the TP2 files, the setup .exe, a readme, and the files for the override folder. What do I need to do to make this fighter kit into a druid kit? You also pointed out there was no check to see if ToB were installed. How do I limit the installation so it won't install on potentially incompatible SoA-only games?

Thanks again!