Skip to content

RP: Castle Greyhawk

Comments

• LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Ha! No. Just normal pants. Nothing here seems at all unusual, the cloth even smells like mothballs. (Personally- :P )
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    "I think we've looked everywhere now. Shall we go back and see the druid lady? I expect she's wondering where we've got to."
    Okay. You head for the door. The bodies are stinking even worse now, and you must wade through a small horde of flies to get to the door.

Outside, you step into the fresh air for the first time in over a week, glad to be heading back to Castle Greyhawk. You spend the first night in a small side canyon, and the next day dawns clear and bright. Towards the middle of the morning, you look up, to see small dots overhead. Birds, you think to yourselves, circling on a thermal.

But the dots grow larger, and larger. Big birds... VERY BIG BIRDS.

They swoop down on you from out of the sky, and there is nowhere to run, the walls of the hills penning you in. In moments, Two Rocs grab you up, two in each talon, and sweep you off into the sky.

Helpless in the grip of the rocs, you are swept aloft, higher and higher, until the countryside is laid out below you like a map. Mile after mile, the rocs steady wing beats carry you towards whatever fate awaits, but for now, you console yourselves with the magnificent view and your fortune at still being alive.

After some time, the open country you have been flying over gives way to a dense forest, and beyond this, a broad, grassy plain, but the roc's destination lies still further. Dead ahead, a dark, snow-capped mountain looms up beyond the plain, flanked on either side by lesser peaks.

Running like a gash down the mountain side, a deep valley sends forth a river onto the plain below. The river meanders through great loops until it forms a small lake. The river and lake remind you of the head and body of a snake, and the image is completed by an island in the lake like the snake's eye. Never faltering, the rocs carry you towards the mountain's peak, following the course of the valley. At its mouth is a steamy marsh, above this a grassy meadow, woods and lake, and higher still are two more lakes, icy blue and bounded by snow-covered slopes. Finally, you come to the roc's nest, perched on a rocky crag near the peak.

Suddenly, all of you are dumped from the rocs' grip into the nest. poor Oops has been clinging to Neera's shoulder with all four claws and caterwauling softly (or not so softly) into her ear the whole trip, makes a noise like a squeaky hinge and clamps down harder with her claws. You land at least somewhat softly.

The nest is a massive structure of tangled trees and branches- there is even an old wagon and half a small boat incorporated into it! The central hollow, where you have been dumped, is carpeted with leaves and contains the sad remains of the roc's past victims- both animal and human.

For a few moments, the rocs remain near the nest. Then, apparently satisfied that their captives are secure, they flap away into the distance.

As you watch them leave, your eyes are drawn down to the magnificent view from the nest. Spread out below you is the long valley, hemmed in on either side by towering walls of rock.

Beyond the valley is the winding river. Shimmering in a shaft of sunlight which breaks through the clouds, it reminds you more than ever of a snake. Just for a moment, before the clouds close over, the light catches the island in the lake, which answers with a sparkling glint like a winking, inviting eye.
    A Picture showing the view from the flight to the nest...

http://ladyrhianwriter.deviantart.com/art/The-Next-Adventire-Begins-575591021?ga_submit_new=10%3A1448999195

The darkish blotch near the top of the mountain is the nest.

Ahead of you is the wilderness. I'd advise you to use either Minsc or Jaheira to lead your party down the mountain. Let me know who is picking the way and when (and if) you want to switch off.
    OOC: Wow! I didn't see that coming.

Alora is very quiet. She wet herself when the Rocs swooped down and picked her up and she is hoping no one will notice. "II don't like it here," she announces "I want to go home."
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    Neera is frantically trying to calm Oops down. Poor thing.

"Things are ok! Things are fine! I mean, you're a big strong cat that could easily have eaten those birds. You were just going easy on them so that you can pounce when they least expect it! Though, where are we? Does this happen you all often? I usually get transported long distances randomly, but it's usually by magic, not by bird. . ."
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    OOC: I vote for Jaheria to lead us down

What mess have we been dragged to now?
    "This wasn't my fault! You always blame everything on me and this wasn't my fault!"
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    "Where better to sit, than on nature's very crown?" Jaheira did not understand the distress of the others. "And think, little one, of the bardic tales you will tell!" Alora was out of her element, but Jaheira felt able to calm her. "And, if anything should go awry, perhaps I will become a bear for you again." Not that doing so was child's play, but it had its advantages.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    OOC: More than happy to help us descend. Though Boo probably likes the mountains, as he likes the forest.
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    Ajantis adjusts his armor, checks his equipment, and frowns at the remains of the rocs' victims. "There may be something here we can use, Alora, but I'd suggest you make the search quick. We need to get moving before those overgrown chickens return for lunch."
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    OOC: @LadyRhian You said the rocs carried us in pairs, one in each talon? Who got scooped up with Aerie? :tongue:
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    "Moradin's beard... Good to have somesthing... solid under my legs again."
    Alora follow the advice of Ajantis, her fellow paladin, and does a quick search of the nest, seeing if she can find anything useful (or shiny) before the party makes it descent.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    OOC Something tells me Boo didn't like being carried by giant predator birds :)
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Some beasts can only be harmed by silver, girl. Keep those close. Who knows what lurks in these wilds.

*Pulls out the rope that he acquired in the last dungeon*

Now I really do not want to stick around here and wait for those birds to return. Shall we attempt to climb out of thos tomb?
    Ajantis assists Anomen in tying off the rope before drawing his blade and scanning the sky while the others descend. "Helm, guard this servant and his allies."
    Alora is going to take the Small Wooden shield (I think as a thief she can use a small shield in combat?). She will also hang on to the silver dagger. She doesn't have a bow so she will give the silver arrows to someone who does.

"Who is going to carry all this stuff I found? There is a backpack full of potions and rope and stuff. And does anyone want to try this sword? It might be a good one. And there is the helmet. Who wants to wear it? It's really shiny."

Alora can't wear the helmet (despite being a paladin) because she has fashioned a strap to the feet of the stuffed cockatrice and is wearing it on her head as a hat.
    "I admire your faith, druid, but Helm's protective light shines everywhere," Ajantis replies.

Noticing Neera's gesture he asks, "Is everything well, Miss Aerie, Miss Neera?"
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459

Alora can't wear the helmet (despite being a paladin) because she has fashioned a strap to the feet of the stuffed cockatrice and is wearing it on her head as a hat.

OOC: ALORA PLS
    MY SIDES
    HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHA
    OOC: Now we know why the rocs saw us! :)
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    "Sorry, that helmet is just too fancy for me."
    OOC: Said the dwarf with a fly-agaric cup on his head.
    When you look over the side of the nest, you see a ledge about 40 feet below the nest. It looks broad and strong enough to hold the entire party, and runs off down the mountain to where it splits about a mile and a half below. Then it runs both east (ish) and west (ish).
    "Maybe you should lower me down first because I don't weigh very much. Then I can hold the other end of the rope to stop it swinging about when the next person comes down."
This discussion has been closed.