Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• TheGreatKhanTheGreatKhan Member Posts: 106
    toolarg said:

It doesnt make sense from a Roleplaying point of view either; sure CHARNAME is the son of a god, him reaching 20+ level is passable, but what about the companions? by the end of ToB they could challenge any god of the forgotten realms if they felt like it.

Is this really true though? I mean how strong are Gods supposed to be stat wise compared to a level 40 character? How would a 6 man level 40 team stand up in the lore?

• MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629

I mean how strong are Gods supposed to be stat wise compared to a level 40 character?

Some avatars, I know, walk around with 25 in mutiple stats and +5 equipment. That said, as a rule, I try not to make my CHARNAMEs stronger than Sarevok stat-wise, assuming he represents a high-end Bhaalspawn.
  • matricematrice Member Posts: 86
    Well, bhaal was a random human (humanoid?) that achieved a lot of thing like CHARNAME, before becoming a god. I think the main difference between god and others is the essence, which seems to restore you, (if we check for amelyssan), and give some various spell, which aren't that great.

So the power of that essence would mainly be to renforce the body to make it more "lively"
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    matrice said:

Well, bhaal was a random human (humanoid?) that achieved a lot of thing like CHARNAME, before becoming a god. I think the main difference between god and others is the essence, which seems to restore you, (if we check for amelyssan), and give some various spell, which aren't that great.

So the power of that essence would mainly be to renforce the body to make it more "lively"

Well, yes and no . A god's portifolio gives them oniscience to a certain extent, and they also earn insights about the planes and the cosmos. Things that a mortal mind might not be able to bear.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    Mazes and Monsters wasn't the worst movie I have ever seen.
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    mf2112 said:

Mazes and Monsters wasn't the worst movie I have ever seen.

T. Hanks for the memories.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,979

I don't like wild mages. I know, they are really powerful - right up until the point where they gate in a pit fiend or drop a cow on themselves and you have to reload.

This is a unpopular opinion? I was under the understanding that more people hated them than like them because they didn't treat magic like a science like the sorcerer and mage does. Seriously I understand low level spells having no real danger behind them, but higher level spells that manipulate time and space should always go off without any trouble, you are messing with the fabrics of reality here and you are no god, no matter how well you know or understand the subject there should always be some time of danger, and that is true in some of the more complex sciences that can put your life in danger like some experiments done in nuclear physics.
  • OtherguyOtherguy Member Posts: 157
    I don't like how magic resistance is implemented in the game. Imho a high level spell should be harder to resist than a low level spell. I also don't think it should be hit or miss but instead reduced and only rarely no effects. I also think very high levels of magic resistance (over 50% or so) is boring, overpowered and out of tune with the rest of the setting.
  • toolargtoolarg Member Posts: 179
    Otherguy said:

I don't like how magic resistance is implemented in the game. Imho a high level spell should be harder to resist than a low level spell. I also don't think it should be hit or miss but instead reduced and only rarely no effects. I also think very high levels of magic resistance (over 50% or so) is boring, overpowered and out of tune with the rest of the setting.

Because giving arcane casters even bigger chances of wrecking absolutely everything is exactly what the trilogy needs.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    edited May 2016
    I don't think 4e was all that bad and had some interesting ideas.

Popular opinion: I like 5e more, though.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    I honestly don't understand why people hate dragonborn.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    They are corny. Oh so, so corny.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629

The Realms are corny, Ed Greenwood is corny, many setting elements from the core to the optional (like Egyptian/Babylonian Earth humans forming empires, the Spelljammer Realmspace stuff, etc) are really corny, gnomes are way cornier than dragonborn and they've been around for a while, and in Krynn pretty much half the races are cornier than the inspiration for dragonborn so it's a pretty ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ issue for me

Agreed.
    Both on-topic and continuing the derailing: I like Dragonborn more than Drow. (ducks for cover)
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    Viconia is evil, but she's also weakened by being above ground. She's playing her alignment (NE) by manipulating the party into helping her.

Then in BG2 she can be redeemed. It's a pretty cool arc, actually.