Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

Unpopular opinion: 90% of people who role play paladins/lawful good either do it wrongly or don’t adapt past the most simplistic characteristics of the alignment.

Agreed, lawful good is already the most difficult alignment to roleplay and tossing a Paladin code in their doubly so. I hate how prevalent "lawful stupid" is as a trope.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    @semiticgod that's why you quicksave every five minutes
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,857
    @LadyEibhilinRhett The problem with your stance on paladins is that people rarely if ever live up to their ideals.
    If they don't, people call them hypocrites but that is not always the case. All people have weaknesses, which accounts for the divorces of people who are opposed to divorce, but who do things which precipitate divorce.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Paladins are nothing but dangerous vigilantes with good PR. A paladin's certainty is either that of a foolish child who has never been confronted with a truly difficult moral choice, or of a dangerous zealot who sees the world only in absolutes.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714

@LadyEibhilinRhett The problem with your stance on paladins is that people rarely if ever live up to their ideals.
    If they don't, people call them hypocrites but that is not always the case. All people have weaknesses, which accounts for the divorces of people who are opposed to divorce, but who do things which precipitate divorce.

People rarely are favored from their deities with cool features due to their faith.
    @Pantalion Even when the moral choices are not difficult, so often we don't do the right thing because of our own moral frailty. We do what we want rather than what is right, at least I do and I haven't noticed others being much different.
  • @Pantalion Even when the moral choices are not difficult, so often we don't do the right thing because of our own moral frailty. We do what we want rather than what is right, at least I do and I haven't noticed others being much different.

We generally do what we want and rationalize that decision as being the right thing to do.
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    Pantalion said:

Paladins are nothing but dangerous vigilantes with good PR. A paladin's certainty is either that of a foolish child who has never been confronted with a truly difficult moral choice, or of a dangerous zealot who sees the world only in absolutes.

And that would perfectly describe our beloved "Lawful Stupid" (seriously, they have to add that alignment to the rule-books along with "Crazy Loony"). True paladins are not supposed to be like that, but writers often do not have enough time to think or dig deep to understand, so, we get what we get.
    @Zaghoul Unlike you, the oath of vengeance is the only one that I would be unhappy with.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited December 2017
    The Oath of the Ancients seems like a more delightful way to play a paladin. Basically it removes the stick out of their arses.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    Fun fact: it is directly inspired by Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.

I’m not at home atm so I can’t check but if I recall they have an ability where instead of being killed they are brought down to 1hp, similar to how the Green Knight was decapitated but then just put his head back on. I’ll edit my post with more details when I can.
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    @Zaghoul I played a paladin of Hoar once in 3e, and, due to the nature of Hoar's tenets, my playstyle for that character WAS very similar to the Oath of Vengeance. I can confirm it is an interesting way to play a paladin.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    All paladins should be pretty blonde girls with blue eyes, riding an armored Yamaha bike with a magic sword in hand. And the D&D rules can object all their want.

• ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Vallmyr said:

Fun fact: it is directly inspired by Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.

I’m not at home atm so I can’t check but if I recall they have an ability where instead of being killed they are brought down to 1hp, similar to how the Green Knight was decapitated but then just put his head back on. I’ll edit my post with more details when I can.

Reminds me of the old Sean Connery movie Sword of the Valiant where he does just that after losing his head.
    A synopsis of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight for those who are interested.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Gawain_and_the_Green_Knight
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    edited January 2018

Actually, I think the real question should be this: is any alignment easy to play well? Lawful good and Lawful neutral become Lawful stupid, Chaotic neutral becomes Chaotic evil, True neutral becomes Chaotic neutral, anything evil becomes Mr. Zsasz on steroids. Maybe Neutral good is hard to screw up, but that might be it.

Chaotic Neutral is easier than it sounds, just be a jerk without being evil. CN has a wealth of different ways with the simplified way of it being Chaotic Neutral Good, Chaotic Neutral Evil and Pure Chaotic Neutral

Unpopular opinion.

Alignments?
    Who cares?
    I tend to use the alignment,
    "if you don't agree with me you are just stupid"

I call it,

"Neutral Superior"
    ;)

A.K.A. pure Chaotic Neutral

• Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428

Chaotic Neutral is easier than it sounds, just be a jerk without being evil. CN has a wealth of different ways with the simplified way of it being Chaotic Neutral Good, Chaotic Neutral Evil and Pure Chaotic Neutral

Honestly, I'd say that that's an internal contradiction. It can't be "easy" to do CN precisely because too many players want to used the bolded characterization as their excuse to be a jerk while being evil, but also without the stigma of having a mechanically evil character. You know, like in The Gamers 2.
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @Abi_Dalzim
    I feel as if we will just have to respectfully disagree. An example is my character Zaram who's heart is in the right place most of the time but he's still an impulsive jerk who occasionally does something that could be seen as evil (example: killing the Paladin for Dorn at the wedding) but wouldn't go around randomly killing innocent people or (intentionally) burning down a village. He won't go out of his way to make someone's life miserable or kill someone unless he feels they deserve it.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    @ZaramMaldovar
    I think we're approaching the question from fundamentally different perspectives. I'm sure you can play a fine CN character, or of any other alignment. It's not like these are platonic ideals that no roleplayer ever meets. When we say "Lawful Good is hard to play as not Lawful Stupid", we don't mean that nobody can do it, but that too many people fail at it in a predictable way. By the same token, when I say that Chaotic Neutral is too easy to roleplay as Chaotic Evil in all but name, I certainly don't mean that's an impossible pitfall to avoid, but that it's a convenient excuse for bad roleplayers.
    edited January 2018
    Abi_Dalzim said:Actually, I think the real question should be this: is any alignment easy to play well? Lawful good and Lawful neutral become Lawful stupid, Chaotic neutral becomes Chaotic evil, True neutral becomes Chaotic neutral, anything evil becomes Mr. Zsasz on steroids. Maybe Neutral good is hard to screw up, but that might be it.

This is why I like the Crusader Paladin kit. Being Chaotic Good allows you to use your brain, and for me allows me to play naturally, i.e. as I would in RL. I prefer to play good without having to be PC.

For instance I was recently criticised for calling a paralytic drunk that I was helping, a drunk. To me that wasn't being judgemental, just objective. For all I know, he could have had very good reasons for getting that drunk, but that doesn't mean that he wasn't drunk.