Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• TranscendedOneTranscendedOne Member Posts: 25
    ThacoBell said:

@TranscendedOne how does having 20 be the max stat prevent different builds? It wouldn't even make characters weaker, as the game would be balanced around those stat levels anyway.

DC for spells, Spells per day. Better skills. More damage for STR related vital strikes in pathfinder. To hit. It all depends on who it is and what they're class related attributes of importance is. It's really, really boring.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Also, with regards to 5e, you need to choose between a stat increase or a feat, instead of getting both like in 3.5/Pathfinder. All across the board, you've got fewer options, and fewer ways to differentiate one character of a given class from another. I briefly started up in a 5e group after playing a Pathfinder campaign back in college, and it felt like I'd gone from a mountain bike to riding a tricycle.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    But then again you don't have to spend feats for stuff like point blank shot/precise shot just to be competent at range or go weapon finesse/weapon focus (rapier)/fencing grace just to get dex to atk and dmg with rapiers.

I'm currently playing in a PF game and a 5e game and 5e gives me much more freedom with characters than PF, in my opinion.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    I guess unpopular opinion: The feat system in 3.X/Pathfinder is garbage because it doesn't offer customization, it makes you take things just to be decent at it (Two weapon fighting, weapon finesse, point blank shot/precise shot, etc.)
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    edited December 2017
    Vallmyr said:

I guess unpopular opinion: The feat system in 3.X/Pathfinder is garbage because it doesn't offer customization, it makes you take things just to be decent at it (Two weapon fighting, weapon finesse, point blank shot/precise shot, etc.)

On the other, other hand, if you really want to specialize in any of those, then there are classes that give you those as bonus feats, particularly Swashbuckler and Ranger. You'll only find yourself feat-starved if you want something really complicated, like a mounted archer.

That's Pathfinder, of course. From what I know of 3.5, archery and finesse just aren't good options anyways, but that's another issue.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Pantalion Players are MEANT to stumble on the tower by accident the first time. The questline in Ulgoth's Beard was added just to give the players who already cleared everything before the expansion came out a nice little signpost showing them where to find it.

Extra Credits did a great little design series based around it here.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137

the tower's excuse is thats where it is on the actual fr map.

Considering Durlag's only listed appearance is in the games, is this chicken or egg? But in either case, the tower isn't the primary issue, the town is.

You have to remember that Tales of the Sword Coast was originally an add-on to the original BG release way back then. It added those areas to the pretty limited original game map. Our judgement is from 15 years distance and massive development on the series since then. After that, tradition has it that the areas stayed where the were and some re-location that was at a time attempted by modders was not very well received.
    It's hard to change such *canon* stuff after all this time without being targetted with *can(n)ons*.

Sure, I'm saying it was bad design when it was originally created, I'm not faulting anyone since for not changing it, since as you say, it's how it's been from the start.
    ThacoBell said:

@Pantalion Players are MEANT to stumble on the tower by accident the first time. The questline in Ulgoth's Beard was added just to give the players who already cleared everything before the expansion came out a nice little signpost showing them where to find it.

The questline in Ulgoth's Beard involves three broken quests if you do the tower too early.

1: The tour guide glitches out if you kill the demon knight beforehand.
    2: The dwarf giving you the quest glitches out if you get the dagger beforehand.
    3: The woman asking you to save her offspring glitches out if you save him beforehand.

Having [Ulgoth's Beard] in a different, more accessible, location would not detract from the tower, and would not make the "average" first time player less significantly likely to encounter the tower early if left in its original location (I appreciate Extra Life's position that it would be "gamey" to have it oop north), it would simply increase the likelihood that they actually encountered the town before chapter 5, by which time they could have completed the tower, and with no need to artificially add a map marker pointing to some nowhere town off the map for every player to give them a meta reason to go in that direction.

And for the argument that the player is intended to "stumble" and the Beard being situated, say, between AR3100 and AR3200 would detract from this, Gullykin already has townsfolk directing the player towards Durlag's Tower ahead of time, no stumbling required.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @Montresor_SP
    To each their own I guess, I can defnitely understand the argument for Neera or Anomen being annoying, but I throughly enjoy both of those characters

@Pantalion
    I agree that Durlag's Tower could be completed before actually getting the quest, but nobody of a relatively low level (2-4) who may stumble into the area is going to get past those Battle Horrrors....period.

That being said, the tower itself is an incredibly well designed, well thought out and story-rich dungeon with a wealth of treasure. It has everything a good and challenging dungeon needs unlike....

*GRRRR* (eyes narrow) Firewine Ruins.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137

@Montresor_SP
    To each their own I guess, I can defnitely understand the argument for Neera or Anomen being annoying, but I throughly enjoy both of those characters

@Pantalion
    I agree that Durlag's Tower could be completed before actually getting the quest, but nobody of a relatively low level (2-4) who may stumble into the area is going to get past those Battle Horrrors....period.

That being said, the tower itself is an incredibly well designed, well thought out and story-rich dungeon with a wealth of treasure. It has everything a good and challenging dungeon needs unlike....

*GRRRR* (eyes narrow) Firewine Ruins.

Eh, you can kill both at level 1, you just prepwork before you get to the tower, a potion of invisibility, and to be a Mage/Thief with your points put into Find Traps - the last one sort of optional. You probably won't stay level 1 afterwards unless you have a full party of course.

But yeah, the dungeon is a cut above in terms of general BG1 content (including the rest of TotSC, which is fairly dire). The thieves' maze in particular is just tedious, at least Firewine you can bypass completely via Gullykin.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    Yeah, my solution to firewine is to bring Branwen and Viconia, then just command-bomb the boss from the secret entrance.

Not particularly flavorful but it gets the job done.

With that said - Ice Island was a waste of a dungeon.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,857
    Pantalion said:

Ulgoth's Beard and Durlag's Tower being located where they are is a failure of game design.

While sure, lore of what's where exists, Ulgoth's Beard was hardly a necessary location. Any small fishing town could easily have been squeezed between AR3100 and AR3200, making it highly likely for a player to come across very early on their run, and giving access to quest and lore givers who give the location and context for Durlag's Tower - which could then be left where it is or, ideally, relocated up where Ulgoth's Beard used to be, making the tower harsh and inaccessible to help explain why it hasn't been cleared (honestly, it's not that hard), and making the ankheg map an effective Beef Gate against the curious.

The ankheg area is so easy to get through that it doesn't deter anyone from going through. There is no compulsion to kill a single ankheg.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    @semiticgod - but what about wounded ego? ;)
    But seriously - it makes sense, even if now all our victories against them seem hollow.

The real question is - what was that lich from City Gates doing? Is it really safe to hang out behind the wall of a tavern, right next to ultimate undead destroyer? :neutral:
    edited December 2017
    edited December 2017