Skip to content

Faiths and Powers: Gods of the Realms (Kitpack and divine caster/spell tweaks)

Comments

• GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Actually, i can give some specifics. I've updated all existing cleric kits, added a cleric of moander ( which will probably become an acolyte instead), and a cleric of tempus ( there are two now: a cleric and an acolyte. There will also be a gloryblood--ie a paladin/champion).

I've also updated the acolyte of ilmater ( which was badly needed).

Oh, I've debugged some spells as well
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I've added quite a few cleric and acolyte kits. Barring inevitable bug fixes, i regard those two as ' first release ready'. I'll list the new ones when i get some time (i should have a lot of time in the near future). Also, I'll upload the newest version for playtest.

Next up: paladin/champions, and incarnates ( which are in @Aquadrizzt 's capable hands)
  • AsprosAspros Member Posts: 3
    Hi, sorry to ask this but I don't know how to download his mod. I cannot find the download link. I know it's still a beta but I would love to try it.
    Can somebody help me?
    Hey guys. I completed a first draft of the readme. THe op has it linked. It has the most up to date information on the mod. I'll update the OP at some point.

Nice! Some bedtime reading :)

Feel free to correct any errors, especially with the spell list by sphere. I basically went by the ' list' documents
    edited May 2016
    Some todo's:

- readme: include details regarding druid alterations
    - convert iwd spells to other ee games
    - implement paladin and and ranger changes
    - update op(s)
    - ur-priest kit
    - implement demi human deities ( though, will try to implement deities not done by others)
    - druid/mystic kits: hivemaster and oozemaster
    - altered and created spells: charm/hold beasts ( from animal versions) and wrath (5th level destruction spell)
    - readme: mention the game load issue for pain
    Post edited by Grammarsalad on
    edited May 2016
    Throwing an idea out there for an altered spell:
    - hold/charm animal--->hold/charm beast. Affects monstrous low intelligence creatures such as carrion crawlers and ankhegs in addition to normal animals
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • solar_onesolar_one Member Posts: 12
    edited May 2016
    Beast: good idea - I thought of most things I see here on the net myself, but this one I'm going to steal for my personal modding! The only easy solve is to create a new GENERAL.IDS entry like 254 and name it BEAST. This way, Charm creature (5) effect can be added to the SPPR204.SPL spell or others if one wishes and set the Creature type to BEAST - 254. However, one must be sure changing the appropriate creatures to BEAST does not interfere with other spells or items. Can even create a Beastslayer axe from Wizardry 8 :)

Idea Note: could make the Charm creature for BEAST - 254 only have 80% for success vs. 100% for animal or some other derived percentage [with no change to save. vs. spell].
    edited June 2016
    solar_one said:

Beast: good idea - I thought of most things I see here on the net myself, but this one I'm going to steal for my personal modding! The only easy solve is to create a new GENERAL.IDS entry like 254 and name it BEAST. This way, Charm creature (5) effect can be added to the SPPR204.SPL spell or others if one wishes and set the Creature type to BEAST - 254. However, one must be sure changing the appropriate creatures to BEAST does not interfere with other spells or items. Can even create a Beastslayer axe from Wizardry 8 :)

Idea Note: could make the Charm creature for BEAST - 254 only have 80% for success vs. 100% for animal or some other derived percentage [with no change to save. vs. spell].

That is an idea, but I don't think I need to do something so drastic. Were I to go this route, I would probably use SPECIFIC.IDS as there would (likely) be fewer consequences.

But, I think I can simulate the effect with various implementations of effects 324 and 326. Actually, I'll probably work on this. Converting IWD spells is a bit...tedious.

I suppose this is a good time for an update, though. I have converted all priest IWD spells from levels 1 to 3. I have converted Giant Insect--that one took a LONG time--as well as static charge and produce fire. I should have the rest finished sometime next week.

Edit: 2 more done. 16 to go
    Edit2: All spells level 1-4 are done. 11 more to go
    Okay, so good news. I have a functional first draft of all, or just about all, IWD divine spells in another thread. While it is currently a standalone mod, it'll eventually get incorporated into FnP (and, if you prefer, you can just install that and nothing else).
    edited June 2016
    Just popping in to say that this is still being worked on. I need to clean up spells, both new and iwdee, which is taking a lot longer than expected.

Also, when i get burned out from that, I'm tweaking some spells (as an optional component). Here are some examples:

Hold animal-->hold beast

Animal sphere. Works on animals as normal, but also magical and monstrous creatures with animal like intelligence: carrion crawlers, umber hulks, ankhegs etc.

Charm person or Mammal-->Charm beast

Animal sphere. Charms beasts as above.

Both add something unique to the game, and are more appropriate than the originals for their level imo.

Cure x wound spells

Instead of healing a fixed amount of hit points, they heal based on the maximum number of hit points of the recipient ( plus a small fixed amount to make them useful at early levels.

For example, cure light wounds heals 6 points, plus 15% of the recipients max hit points( rounded down). Thus, a fighter with 10 hit points will recover 7 hit points, while a fighter with 100 hit points will recover 21 hit points. Obviously, this greatly improves the cure spells, but it makes them useful throughout the game, which i think is important. I'll probably alter cure potions similarly.

Cause/inflict spells will be altered similarly to cure spells
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    thanks for the work on this. Demi human deities -> is that a reference to pillars of eternity? Or new way to roleplay your character by becoming a lich for example? I saw a mod that makes you able to become a vampire in bg and accept the offer by Bodhi. Was quite surprised. :)
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    thank you Subtledoctor. :)
    edited June 2016
  • DarkersunDarkersun Member Posts: 398
    I think structure them like clerics is a great idea.
    Would it be possible to limit the racial enemy selection? A mountain ranger would fight enemy's common for the region, but I'm not sure if that would be worth the hassle.
    Different spells to make them unique should be fine in my opinion.

I thing casting on level 3 is very powerful, so the non-casting Ranger (scouts) should receive something similar powerful. Maybe give them access to a set of feats.

Not sure about the Monk thing. I like that they would receive the special abilities (all make sense to me detecting traps etc.) But I think under the Monk base class they would look really out of place.
    I'm trying to think of a class name that would fit both Monks and Scouts.

• wyakpawyakpa Member Posts: 62
    I have some ideas for your rangers! It's much the same idea that Darkersun posted (you beat me to it), but in a bit more detail.

You could represent their terrains by giving them more than one racial enemy, according to their given terrain. Start off with a "weak" creature at level one, and progress up more dangerous enemies as they level. Some of the REs would be really useful at level one, and then never again (like kobolds), or only situationally useful (like Ettercaps or Ogres). This way, players could get the benefits of both and have it scale with the game.

Alternatively, you could also let them choose from a themed list, perhaps using the feat system you created for M&G.

The obvious potential issue is that the RE lists for BG and BG2 are different, so you'd have to unify them somehow.

Here's a sample of what you could do:

Forest Ranger (focusing on animals and things that live in forests):
    Gibberlings -> Spiders -> Trolls -> Lycanthropes

Mountain Ranger (taking on a bit of the "underground" part of "mountain"):
    Kobolds -> Ogres -> Umber Hulks -> Beholders/Mind Flayers

And so on. Desert rangers could focus on bugs and genies. Jungle rangers could feature slimes and otyughs. I do feel like Arctic ranger would be difficult, because there aren't really any obviously arctic REs, and there aren't really any hard arctic locations in BG. IWD is a different story, obviously.

You could also expand upon this and have Extraplanar Rangers (elementals and demonic/fell/imps), and maybe even a Grave Ranger (focusing on the undead).

If you wanted to distinguish them even more, you could give them some ability related to their terrain. Desert rangers might be extra hardy, and have more HP; Jungle Rangers might be resistant to poison, and even able to poison their own weapons; Forest rangers could focus on charming animals and could even have an animal companion; Extraplanar Rangers could have resistances to all energies. Depends on the need for balance.

Needless to say, I'm sure all of this is easier said than done, but I personally would be interested in checking out rangers built like this.
    One thing that i was thinking about was to let characters change their favored enemy as they level up (chars can only have a single favored enemy, unfortunately). The way i'm thinking about doing it could easily limit selections based on ranger type (though, might have to resort to some jiggery for character creation selections)
    @subtledoctor Yeah, but it won't say, "Favored Enemy: blah" on your character sheet. I suppose if we eliminate the original mechanic completely, this won't matter much.
    Additional (optional) spell improvements:

Goodberry: This spell produces one handfull of Goodberries per two levels. Consuming these berries recovers 3 + 15% of the recipient's hit point total (so, a creature with 100 total hit points will recover 18 hit points) and removes all fatigue.

One goal of these 'revisions' is to make the given spell 'worth it' for it's level. My first instinct is to look to Spell Revisions, but even Demi has posted that he would never memorize his improved goodberry spell. So, here's my take.

I had considered making these items regenerate hit points, but then spell revisions druids would have no way of 'immediately' healing a character as their 'cure' spells have been converted to 'regenerate' spells. Also, I think it makes sense that these berries recover fatigue.

Now, you might be thinking, "What about Unfailing Endurance?" I'm with you. See below.

New Spell:

Remove Fatigue: This spell completely removes all fatigue from the creature touched. 1st level spell. Cleric/Pally only (in vanilla--otherwise depends on sphere access).

What's that? This is exactly identical to the fourth level spell Unfailing Endurance? Yup. Frankly, I don't think that spell is worth its level. But, I'm not giving up on it, however.

Unfailing Endurance: This spell removes fatigue of all of the casters allies within a 30' radius. Additionally, recipients of this spell will recover 10% of their hit point total, and they will be able to tap into reserves of energy one additional time over the next 24 hours allowing them to completely remove fatigue from themselves a second time. Cleric only

That feels a bit more 'unfailing' to me.

That reminds me:

Mass Cure: Heals 8 + 30% of recipients' max hit points. (thus, a creature with 100 max hit points will recover 38 points of damage).

I had considered making these items regenerate hit points, but then spell revisions druids would have no way of 'immediately' healing a character as their 'cure' spells have been converted to 'regenerate' spells.

Note that, with the sphere system, with SR installed, the Cure Wounds spells are in the sphere of Life and the Regenerate Wounds spells are in the sphere of Vigor. This creates a bit of weirdness:

We have to give druids access to the sphere of Life, because otherwise, without SR they would have no healing spells at all! (Except for Regeneration at 6th level.)

But with SR installed, that means druids (and anyone with access to both Life and Vigor - like priests of Lathander) will get both Cure and Regenerate spells. Which is perhaps too much.

My suggestion: make one Regenerate spell of our own, at 4th level, and change the higher-level one to be targetable. Then we can restrict druids to only minor access to Life. So in the absence of SR, druids would get low-level Cure spells and high-level Regenerate spells. And with SR, the would get low-level both, and high-level Regenerate. Plus Mist of Eldath for area-wide healing.

Goodberry is still pretty useless, in either of those cases. I think we should accentuate it's tactical values: 1) it creates a Potion of Healing (or extra-healing) that can be used by anyone, more quickly than casting a healing spell; and 2) it dispels fatigue.
    Agreed.
    Final thought: given your Mass Cure spell (38 per person is a lot for a 5th level spell!)... Mist of Eldath at 7th level is pathetic. Cures 25 hp and poison? I think that spell needs your revisionist of touch...

I'd suggest: Mass Cure at 5th level is 10 hp + 20% of max; Mist of Eldath at 7th level is 10 hp + 10% of max, plus dispel poison and disease and level drain and Sleep and Slow and Stun, every round for 5 rounds, for all allies in the AoE.
    Well, it'll only heal 38 points of characters that actually have 100 total hit points. I gave that as an example for illustration. But still, that is a pretty good point. I'll knock that down to 25% and +6 hp, meaning that it'll only heal 31 hp for a 100hp fighter or 16hp for a 40hp mage.

Thanks for pointing out MoE. On it!
    edited June 2016
    Quick testing suggests that it is absurdly easy to create paladin and ranger kits that won't fall. You just need to add "(kit name) 0" to a 2da titled ( something like) "fallen". It is definitely not tied to the blackguards usability anymore. I strongly suspect that its even possible to make 'trueclasses' not fall-- they all have an entry in kit.ids--and that it is possible to make members of other kits--ie non paladin or ranger kits--fall...

Edit: Well, you can prevent trueclasses from falling, but in a pleasantly surprising way. If you enter PALADIN 0 and/or RANGER 0, those trueclasses will not fall...

Note to self:
    	COPY_EXISTING ~fallen.2da~ ~override~ //Remove possibility to fall
    	              INSERT_2DA_ROW 3 0 ~PALADIN 0~
                          INSERT_2DA_ROW 3 0 ~RANGER 0~
                          INSERT_2DA_ROW 3 0 ~INQUISITOR 0~
                          INSERT_2DA_ROW 3 0 ~UNDEAD_HUNTER 0~
                          INSERT_2DA_ROW 3 0 ~CAVALIER 0~
                          INSERT_2DA_ROW 3 0 ~FERALAN 0~
                          INSERT_2DA_ROW 3 0 ~STALKER 0~
                          INSERT_2DA_ROW 3 0 ~BEASTMASTER 0~

It's that easy... though, I wouldn't 'force' this on anybody. But, now there'll be an option to completely remove falling.
    edited June 2016
    I think that we should allow all kinds of rangers, including evil ones. Personally, I'm all for completely eliminating alignment restrictions (at least as an optional component).

At the very least, we should offer a "Dark Ranger" kit (who can follow Malar, or Talos or Talona or Umberlee or...) There is plenty of conceptual room for them, I think.