Skip to content

[MOD] -Might and Guile- a tweak mod and kit pack for warriors and rogues.

Comments

• HalcyonHalcyon Member Posts: 56
    I'm doing a dry run of the Soulblade so far, and definitely enjoyed the two powers that I've experienced so far (obliterating Carbos and Shank, for example), but am getting something quite odd in some kind of naming error? I have Might & Guile + SoB uploaded, but it's registering your class names in a very strange way. For instance "Soulblade" is listed as

"Oh right the wine. Forgot about that. I'll go fetch it now shall I?" It's labeled this in class selection and in every label format in the game.
    One of the starting powers (the mind crush one, I think) is labeled "Crusader Nan"
    The other, that seems a bit like haste, is labeled something so long I can't read it with tab or the Biography section of my character sheet. On closer inspection so are all the kits added and weapons + weapon styles changed by the game. Not quite sure what to make of it or where it's coming from, but any help would be quite appreciated. My Weidu log is as follows:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
    // The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
    // ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
    ~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #0 // Ice Island Level Two Restoration: v14.0
    ~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #1 // The Mysterious Vial: v14.0
    ~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #4 // Finishable Kagain Caravan Quest: v14.0
    ~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #6 // Kivan and Tazok: v14.0
    ~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #7 // Branwen and Tranzig: v14.0
    ~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #10 // Place Entar Silvershield in His Home: v14.0
    ~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #11 // Scar and the Sashenstar's Daughter: v14.0
    ~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #12 // Quoningar, the Cleric: v14.0
    ~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #13 // Shilo Chen and the Ogre-Magi: v14.0
    ~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #14 // Edie, the Merchant League Applicant: v14.0
    ~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #16 // Creature Corrections: v14.0
    ~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #17 // Creature Restorations: v14.0
    ~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #18 // Creature Name Restorations: v14.0
    ~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #19 // Minor Dialogue Restorations: v14.0
    ~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #21 // Store, Tavern and Inn Fixes and Restorations: v14.0
    ~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #22 // Item Corrections and Restorations: v14.0
    ~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #28 // Prism and the Emeralds Tweak: v14.0
    ~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #29 // Duke Eltan in the Harbor Master's Building: v14.0
    ~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #30 // Nim Furlwing Encounter: v14.0
    ~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #32 // Svlast, the Fallen Paladin Encounter: v14.0
    ~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #33 // Mal-Kalen, the Ulcaster Ghost: v14.0
    ~SIRINESCALL/SETUP-SIRINESCALL.TP2~ #0 #0 // The Lure of the Sirine's Call: v14
    ~SIRINESCALL/SETUP-SIRINESCALL.TP2~ #0 #1 // Extended Lighthouse area: v14
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #0 // The BG1 NPC Project: Required Modifications: v22_20150614
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #1 // The BG1 NPC Project: Banters, Quests, and Interjections: v22_20150614
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #10 // The BG1 NPC Project: Branwen's Romance Core (teen content): v22_20150614
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #12 // The BG1 NPC Project: Dynaheir's Romance Core (teen content): v22_20150614
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #13 // The BG1 NPC Project: Shar-Teel Relationship Core (adult content): v22_20150614
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #16 // The BG1 NPC Project: NPCs can be sent to wait in an inn: v22_20150614
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #29 // The BG1 NPC Project: Cloakwood areas availability in Chapter One -> Open Cloakwood Lodge (first Cloakwood area only): v22_20150614
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #31 // The BG1 NPC Project: Sarevok's Diary Adjustments -> SixofSpades Extended Sarevok's Diary: v22_20150614
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #200 // The BG1 NPC Project: Player-Initiated Dialogues: v22_20150614
    ~NEERA/NEERA.TP2~ #0 #0 // Neera Expansion: v1.1
    ~NEERA/NEERA.TP2~ #0 #2 // How much time would you like between talks (approximately)? -> 30 minutes: v1.1
    ~ISANDIR/ISANDIR.TP2~ #0 #0 // CHARNAME menu portraits: v1
    ~SETUP-VYND.TP2~ #0 #0 // Vynd for BGTutu, BGT and BG:EE
    ~BG1NPCMUSIC/SETUP-BG1NPCMUSIC.TP2~ #0 #0 // The BG1 NPC Project Music Pack -> Install All Audio: v6
    ~SIRENE/SETUP-SIRENE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Sirene NPC for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition
    ~SIRENE/SETUP-SIRENE.TP2~ #0 #2 // Choose an alternate class for Sirene? -> Cavalier
    ~MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2~ #0 #200 // Rogue Feats: 2.8.1
    ~MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2~ #0 #205 // Psionics: 2.8.1
    ~MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2~ #0 #310 // Add the Corsair (fighter kit): 2.8.1
    ~MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2~ #0 #350 // Add the Mage Hunter (ranger kit): 2.8.1
    ~MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2~ #0 #390 // Warrior Feats (beta): 2.8.1
    ~MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2~ #0 #460 // Add the Loremaster (bard kit): 2.8.1
    ~MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2~ #0 #470 // Add the Gallant (bard kit): 2.8.1
    ~MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2~ #0 #490 // Add the Loresinger (bard kit): 2.8.1
    ~MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2~ #0 #500 // Add Multiclass Kits: 2.8.1
    ~SCALES_OF_BALANCE/SCALES_OF_BALANCE.TP2~ #0 #102 // IWO - Functional Weapon Tweaks: v5.3
    ~SCALES_OF_BALANCE/SCALES_OF_BALANCE.TP2~ #0 #103 // IWO - Light/Heavy Weapon Distinctions: v5.3
    ~SCALES_OF_BALANCE/SCALES_OF_BALANCE.TP2~ #0 #121 // WPO - Weapon Category Collapse: v5.3
    ~SCALES_OF_BALANCE/SCALES_OF_BALANCE.TP2~ #0 #122 // WPO - Systemic Proficiency Changes: v5.3
    ~SCALES_OF_BALANCE/SCALES_OF_BALANCE.TP2~ #0 #124 // WPO - Fighting Style Changes: v5.3
    ~SCALES_OF_BALANCE/SCALES_OF_BALANCE.TP2~ #0 #125 // WPO - APR on Spec: v5.3
    ~SCALES_OF_BALANCE/SCALES_OF_BALANCE.TP2~ #0 #160 // STO - Saving Throw Overhaul: v5.3
    ~SCALES_OF_BALANCE/SCALES_OF_BALANCE.TP2~ #0 #200 // SBO - Stat Bonus Overhaul: v5.3
    ~SCALES_OF_BALANCE/SCALES_OF_BALANCE.TP2~ #0 #202 // SBO - Full Strength for 2-Hand Weapons Only: v5.3
    ~SCALES_OF_BALANCE/SCALES_OF_BALANCE.TP2~ #0 #206 // HDO - Hit Dice Overhaul -> Generous (above-average) hit points: v5.3
    ~SCALES_OF_BALANCE/SCALES_OF_BALANCE.TP2~ #0 #210 // XPO - Standardized XP Tables: v5.3
    ~SCALES_OF_BALANCE/SCALES_OF_BALANCE.TP2~ #0 #180 // MRO - Magic Resistance Overhaul (install after aTweaks!): v5.3

Thanks
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    Sounds like you've got the wrong .tlk file, are you on a Steam or GoG installation? Did you run modmerge if so ?

Try to find an npc added by a mod and see if the dialog is gibberish or no.
    @subtledoctor I'm on EET and there's a weird thing going on, I installed rogue feats which gave me a revised stalker, I noticed while playing through bg1 that the in game description was still the old stalker one. However, it fixes itself once I get to SoD and if I go back to an older save, the description is wrong again. Any idea on what might be causing this ?

Sounds like you've got the wrong .tlk file, are you on a Steam or GoG installation? Did you run modmerge if so ?

Try to find an npc added by a mod and see if the dialog is gibberish or no.

Thanks for the quick answer

Hmmm, I am on a Steam install, I have not run modmerge. Unfortunately I'm still too early in the game to find a mod npc, but it sounds like uninstalling everything, deleting my dialog.tlk file, re-copy-pasting it and then reinstalling everything might work?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

@Halcyon if you have SoD from Steam or GOG then you need to run ModMerge before installing mods. No need for testing - not doing do will cause all mod-added .tlk strings to be wrong, end of story.

1) Uninstall mods - or just do a clean re-install of the game, whichever is easier
    2) Run ModMerge
    3) Instsll mods

You can try to load an existing savegame after that, but no guarantees it will work.

Oooh, well that would explain the big stickied thread at the top of this forum, thanks for the info, if I have any issues I'll go bug that thread xD

Thanks for all the work on this and other mods, hella excited to play a psychic warrior in BG.
    @subtledoctor I guess it'd be better to wait until a more final version of EET. You might need to take a more indepth look at npc_ee as well, as I said on the g3 forum, having a bg1 npc installed on EET makes it so only 1 version of the npc is impacted by EET. I also had weird usability flags for npc_ee'd characters.
    Anyway, wait and see.
    With Items Revisions installed, daggers are actually fun items to use for fighter classes too, it would also make strength bonuses from potions pointless on thieves.
    The daggers themselves are interesting imo, there are enough different daggers that you have options and interesting choices to make, it feels enough to me combined with the 1.5base apr tweak from scales.

There are some good short swords in SoD too but I feel like they could need more help to be on par with bigger swords.

I'm not sure I understand where you want to lead short swords and daggers. Should they be almost thieves only weapons ? I don't think so but maybe you do in which case removing the str bonus would make more sense. Should they be weapons for everyone with increased relative efficiency for rogues classes, so rogues can be less ridiculous compared to fighters in fights? I think so. Adding bonuses to thieves with these weapons if they opt for combat feats is a good idea(basically what you're doing) but I don't think the weapons should be nerfed for fighter classes.

I think that, even with feats, thieves are far from being efficient in combat and they don't need additionnal hurdles like removing str bonuses on their favourite weapons.

Adding dex bonuses to light weapons for rogues should be enough to incentivize using light weapons, I don't think they need something taken in exchange, rogues are a weak fighting class anyway and their damage output would still be inferior to fighters(and their resilience as well) by far.
    On the other hand, short weapons are generally better for backstabs and having no str bonus on backstabs seems illogical to me and it's such an important part of thieves as well. Ideally if the str bonus would apply on backstabs only it'd make a lot of sense and it would be worth losing the appeal to fighters imo.

I think heavy vs light looks more like rapiers vs long swords, long swords will mainly be used to slash and will rarely hit through any armor, they will often clash directly with either a shield or another long sword while rapiers would be dex based for accuracy but then strength based for damage because penetrating the mail/clothes/chair still takes a lot of strength and is amplified by strength. Short swords and daggers are about the same thing, hit smart but hit deep. Conan or Hercules won't use them because they don't fit their characters. Ideally, shorter weapons would cap with strength earlier. More strength never stops being better for larger weapons but there's a point with daggers and short swords where you can't penetrate more without just jamming your fist in someone.

I don't think the IE is capable of such finesse though so the thoughts need to be more about gameplay and it seems to me like "excluding" non rogues classes from being efficient with light weapons isn't worth in terms of gameplay. For me, these light weapons represents crazy warriors who almost jump at people and hit them deep while up close, this generally backfires a lot for them and it's reasonable with armor revisions systems where ac is a tradeoff of dexterity.

Gameplay wise, I'm not sure high apr is a good way to go for rogues, they very much lack any sustainability and high apr implies staying in melee range for long durations which they can't handle. The gameplay of a rogue to me seems more like edging the fight and going in when an opportunity is spotted on a weak target. I'm not sure how to put that into weapons though. I think it'd make more sense if rogues had a feat(s) to help an in and out gameplay and the weapons damage were left unchanged. Could this be achieved with once/round effects?

Having dagger and short swords thaco be dexterity based would make a lot of sense too imo.

That's just my opinion though, you've obviously got way more experience with the IE and what is reasonable within it vs what isn't. Interesting discussion anyway, I wish I had a good idea of an "in and out" ability but I don't.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    having no str bonus for backstabs is logical for me because it's really all about hitting a spot on the body, like an organ. it's not about "how hard" but "how accurate".

strength bonus is not multiplied in vanilla so this is vanilla logic in a way
    GrimLefourbe, on 23 Sept 2016 - 8:14 PM, said:

Also wondering, is there any good way to check what modified an item's usability ? My fighter/mage (kitted as bladesinger from Might and Guile) can't use the stoneskin scroll while a plain fighter/mage can.

I think the Bladesinger uses the fighter/mage class flag, and the Archer kit flag. Scrolls really shouldn't be flagged as unusable by kits (right??).

If necessary I can add some code to make sure all wizard scrolls are usable by the Archer kit - doing so should cause no problems otherwise because they will still be unusable by Rangers generally (including Archers).

Moving this from the G3 forums. Looks like the archer flag could be a problem. The Stoneskin scroll turned out weirder than expected. I had a similar problem with a Protection from Acid scroll, it was red but I was still able to write it into my book. The archer flag does prevent my Bladesinger from wearing chain mails however.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Yeah, wearing chain mail on a fighter mage sucks anyway, the bladesinger's description should probably be updated though. I have spells revisions as well, could it be messing with the scroll usability ?
    I changed aerie from cleric/mage to spellbender as well and she can't use necromancy, I don't remember reading anything about that in the SR readme either but I might have missed it.

It would make sense that strength would increase the damage of a precise blow though. Hitting where the rogue aim is the dexterity, doing damage is how deep you can go at that point. I see your point however, it can be justified pretty easily. Though, it doesn't really address the issue with going apr on characters that are extremely not durable.

Backstab as it is isn't really fulfilling how a rogue should fight I think, going invisible regularly is either potion/item or mage domain unless totally unrealistic corner hiding is involved and at later levels most enemies are immune to backstabbing anyway. Maybe reworking backstab would be the way to make interesting fighting rogue characters. They aren't going to compete in damage with fighter classes anyway so maybe they shouldn't focus on damage and backstab should be more like crippling strike in IWD. Say, assassins would have backstab and others would have crippling strike like effect so they can effectively edge out the fight until they find a good opportunity to cripple an enemy.
  • cherryzerocherryzero Member Posts: 129
    I'm downloading this now. I'm interested in the combat changes but don't really have any opinion until I give them a shot.

One thing that hit me reading the notes, I was thinking of making a shadow dancer but I think the changes to this class pretty much nerf it to the point that its unusable. Subbing hips for once a day powers like shadow door and still losing the backstab modifier... it seems to be way worse than a vanilla rogue, or any other kitted rogue, with a few invis pots.Maybe I'm missing something but at the moment I can't see a reason to play one over any other type of thief.

Also, I really like your changes to the zerker and barbarian... why doesn't rage make them immune to fear though? Seems more fundamental than immunity to charm or hold to me.
  • GawainBSGawainBS Member Posts: 523

Backstab as it is isn't really fulfilling how a rogue should fight I think, going invisible regularly is either potion/item or mage domain unless totally unrealistic corner hiding is involved and at later levels most enemies are immune to backstabbing anyway. Maybe reworking backstab would be the way to make interesting fighting rogue characters. They aren't going to compete in damage with fighter classes anyway so maybe they shouldn't focus on damage and backstab should be more like crippling strike in IWD. Say, assassins would have backstab and others would have crippling strike like effect so they can effectively edge out the fight until they find a good opportunity to cripple an enemy.

Totally agree here. Backstab is, at best, a gimmick. You can't use it base a class' fighting ability on it. Would it be possible to incorporate Heart of Winter's Sneak Attack option? Much more reliable.
    I believe it's only on the IWD game and it still requires sneaking, i'm not sure. It would be cool to have backstab kept for assassins though. While I did mention something like sneak attack, sneak attack still incentivizes apr by being an always active effect which isn't something that meshes well with rogues.

I think I've seen the concept of "first attack of every round does X", I feel like this could be cool for thieves to play the "precise strike" thing, they could be disablers instead of trying to compete in damage with fighter classes.

What do you think ?
    I can't recall that they incorporated it into BGI/II:EE as well. Would be cool. I do think, however, that APR fits the Rogue concept just fine.
    For the record, "Rogue" still includes Bard and kits, right?
    edited September 2016
    Rogue refers to thieves classes in the might and guile mod.

I think apr can work fine for a bard because of magical protections but single class thieves(even kitted) don't have those.
    Ok, because "Rogues" in the AD&D 2E sense means "Bards & Thieves".
  • KrotosKrotos Member Posts: 156
    Chiming in to mention that if you don't pick a Called Shot as an Archer Ranger kit, save a game and then load back - the ability to pick a shot will be useless as you won't be sent to the selection tab after using it.
    Just wanted to come back and thank you both for the advice on modmerge (can't believe I missed it) and to compliment your Soulblade, I've been playing one through BG, SoD and am now in the first portions of Soaking, still enjoying the hell outta him.

One thing I'm wondering, are there any changes to the Soulblade HLA, or any issue with those appearing if I also have your Refinements Mod installed?
  • megas_archonmegas_archon Member Posts: 4

- the 'Basic Alchemy' feat now offers separate Potions of Healing and Antidotes, instead of Elixirs of Health
    - the 'Advanced Alchemy' feat now offers Elixirs of Health

These feats are not listing the potions that are actually produced correctly.
  • esengeasesengeas Member Posts: 23
    edited October 2016
    I have encountered a potential bug, any multiclass character isnt getting any feats, while pure classes do. Is this intended? and is there a console command to give it to them manually?
    The other mods I have installed are tome and blood and npc ee.