Skip to content

[obsolete] Big World Setup (BWS): Mod Manager for Baldur's Gate / Enhanced Edition (Trilogy)

Comments

• _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited September 2018
    @jastey , @Wise_Grimwald

Yeah, I know, but if you open it with a text editor (e.g., Atom), you see all that HTML code and it's kinda ugly/unreadable..... It'd be better to have a simple PDF with the recommended install order......
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    Ah. Because if I open it in notepad++ (under Windows) there is no html code.

I think I can answer this one for @ALIEN: considering that the file changes with every update, making it a pdf every time is not feasible but burn-out material.
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,269
  • Blackbeard_DanBlackbeard_Dan Member Posts: 5
    New here so bear with me, I just finished my bws install which I thought was successful. When the instal finished and i closed bws i was not given a desktop shortcut for EET. I dont know what to do here. When I tried launching from the Baldur.exe its only launching vanilla bg2. This is only the second time I have attempyed a mega mod playthrough (first was awhile ago) and the first time was smooth, no problems. Any help appreciated.
  • BloodstoneBloodstone Member Posts: 99

New here so bear with me, I just finished my bws install which I thought was successful. When the instal finished and i closed bws i was not given a desktop shortcut for EET. I dont know what to do here. When I tried launching from the Baldur.exe its only launching vanilla bg2. This is only the second time I have attempyed a mega mod playthrough (first was awhile ago) and the first time was smooth, no problems. Any help appreciated.

Look for the folder where you installed the mods. The proper .exe file will be there, you will also notice folder's and setup files for all of the mods that were installed.
    There is also another mod, by Alien that is called a Launcher. You can download it into the folder where all the mods are and it will set up a launcher for you. I believe I got the launcher mod over at the G3 website, or you can check Alien's Github page.

Look for the folder where you installed the mods. The proper .exe file will be there, you will also notice folder's and setup files for all of the mods that were installed.
    There is also another mod, by Alien that is called a Launcher. You can download it into the folder where all the mods are and it will set up a launcher for you. I believe I got the launcher mod over at the G3 website, or you can check Alien's Github page.
    ok, I will try the launcher tonight. I looked for the propoer .exe and couldnt find one. When you say "the folder where you installed the mods" do you meen the "app downloads" folder or the game file with all the mods? I have looked in both and the "app downloads" one doesnt have a .exe file at all while the game folder has a .exe that launches a vanilla game. thanks
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,837
    edited September 2018

Ok, I will try the launcher tonight. I looked for the propoer .exe and couldnt find one. When you say "the folder where you installed the mods" do you meen the "app downloads" folder or the game file with all the mods? I have looked in both and the "app downloads" one doesnt have a .exe file at all while the game folder has a .exe that launches a vanilla game. thanks

Does your game folder have mod folders in it?

Ok, I will try the launcher tonight. I looked for the propoer .exe and couldnt find one. When you say "the folder where you installed the mods" do you meen the "app downloads" folder or the game file with all the mods? I have looked in both and the "app downloads" one doesnt have a .exe file at all while the game folder has a .exe that launches a vanilla game. thanks

Does your game folder have mod folders in it?
    yes, it does. But when i launch the .exe from there it is a vanilla game
    That's weird. I suspect that your ini file is not set up correctly.

That's weird. I suspect that your ini file is not set up correctly.

any suggestions for a fix? should I just try a new install? ( I tried the launcher mod and couldnt get that to work either)
    If you ever wanted to provide feedback about New Install Tool, this is you chance: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/72517/new-mod-install-tool-feedback-request-from-modders-and-players#latest
  • zentarzentar Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2018
    Hey all I am having an issue installing the EET: The following mod(s) could not be downloaded:

EET Fixpack: The Mod itself (EET_Fixpack-master.zip)
    https://github.com/BiGWorldProject/EET_Fixpack/archive/master.zip

the mod is not there ^

is there anywhere else you can download it ?

Thanks!

Edit:

also as an update to the above when url testing the different modules in the recommended EET build the following do not exist

-Summary-
    These selected downloads are defect:

EET Fixpack
    BG1 Unfinished Business

More info:

EET Fixpack
    https://github.com/BiGWorldProject/EET_Fixpack/archive/master.zip
    Archive found (0,01 MB)
    Archive is missing.

BG1 Unfinished Business
    https://github.com/AstroBryGuy/bg1ub/releases/latest
    Archive found (0,01 MB)
    Archive is missing.

BG1 Unfinished Business does exist its now on revision 16.0 however i am unsure why the BWS did not pick this up,
    Post edited by zentar on

@ALIEN I have got your tool to make Mod.Ini's but is there a reason I can't pilfer from the EE set-up tool? Naturally I'd make links point to where they are hosted(no dropbox ones).
    I ask cause Tweaks Anthology is up to V6 and BWS is still V4. Or should I just keep trying using your tool and learn a little more?

@hackinslash Nah, it just the version which wasn't updated. Tweaks Anthology was "use github master branch" now is "GitHub Latest Release" now, .ini files aren't the only thing which is required but any contribution would be helpful.
  • AislinnAislinn Member Posts: 4
    I am having the same problem zentar above is having. Same two mods. If I try to select to provide the mods manually, the BG1UB page loads but none of the files are the correct name. The EET Fixpack one links to a dead page - it just reads "File not found".
    Wise_Grimwald
    @Aislinn @zentar Both problems fixed. Please try again.
    Wise_Grimwald
  • zentarzentar Member Posts: 2
    Thanks ALIEN, I will give a try tonight! what did you change?
  • PlaguePlague Member Posts: 6
    While trying to run the Big World Setup for the first time I selected all the mods I wanted and downloaded/extracted them, everything is proceeding nicely. Then I get to an error "Please start the game, choose the language you like, start and create a savegame" Now I have done this....a lot. A bit up in this post someone said to create a "baulder.ini" and toss it into the game directory, this too I have done with no change to the error. I have Googled and Bing searched for a while now and have come up empty on a fix. If anyone here can point me in the right direction Id appreciate it.
    Plague said:

While trying to run the Big World Setup for the first time I selected all the mods I wanted and downloaded/extracted them, everything is proceeding nicely. Then I get to an error "Please start the game, choose the language you like, start and create a savegame" Now I have done this....a lot. A bit up in this post someone said to create a "baulder.ini" and toss it into the game directory, this too I have done with no change to the error. I have Googled and Bing searched for a while now and have come up empty on a fix. If anyone here can point me in the right direction Id appreciate it.

If you did indeed create a "baulder.ini" file and not a "baldur.ini" file it wouldn't have any effect. Computers are VERY fussy about spelling.

Plague said:

If you did indeed create a "baulder.ini" file and not a "baldur.ini" file it wouldn't have any effect. Computers are VERY fussy about spelling.
    The correct file extension is .lua, if you don't have baldur.lua it means that you need to update the game.
    I do have "Baldur.lua" in the folder, was simply trying a fix mentioned above trying to get it to progress. and yes it was spelled "Baldur.ini" I was tired and somewhat ticked off that it did and does not run so the hasty misspelling in forum. It keeps telling me "start the game, choose the language you like, start and create a savegame." which I have now done at least 20 times. I am at a loss for what to do next.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    @Plague I think since patch2.3 the game no longer uses baldur.ini but instead baldur.lua, that is probably why placing the baldur.ini didn't change anything for you.
    Wise_Grimwald
    @Plague
    I do have "Baldur.lua" in the folder
    Which folder exactly?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    edited September 2018
    I'm trying to reinstall EET via BWS, but I keep getting stuck at an error message I don't recognize from previous BWS installs.

Attempting to continue the program and retry the install (I assume that's what is meant by "repair") cycles me back to the same error message.

My first guess is that I just need to get a copy of the "BPENDA.2da" file and paste it into that "EET/temp/2da" folder. But I have no idea how to find a copy of that .2da; I don't recognize the name.

Thoughts?
    edited September 2018
    BWS is still installing, but I think I've got it. I downloaded a PBENDA.2da file from a post by the infamous Roxanne on her website (an odd person to thank, but there you go) and pasted the file in my BGEE and BG2EE directories, both override folders, and the "BiG World Installpack\temp\2da" folders (which I had to create manually) in both the BGEE and BG2EE directories, since Roxanne's post suggested I post it in the former and the BWS installer appeared to suggest the latter. I don't know which folder is the necessary one, but pasting the file in all of them appears to have let the BWS installer proceed.

It looks like whenever

ERROR: Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", "folder/subfolder/subfolder/file.xxx")

shows up in a WeiDU installer or BWS, the answer is to find that "file.xxx" file (which might need to be downloaded online if you don't have it anywhere on your computer) and move it to the "folder/subfolder/subfolder" folder. That error message appears to always mean a file is missing.
    EET appears to be installed, but things look very different, and I suspect it has something to do with updating to EE v2.5. Problem is, I can't seem to access Baldur's Gate, Shadows of Amn, or Throne of Bhaal from the title screen. You know how normally in EET you can pick which game you want to go to from the title screen? BG, SoD, SoA, ToB, or the Black Pits? Well, I start out at the Black Pits by default, and if I click on some invisible icons in the red square below, I can switch between the Black Pits and Siege of Dragonspear... and nothing else.

I can't start from Candlekeep. I literally can't play Baldur's Gate with EET installed.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?
    C:\Users\Games\GOG\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition

Baldur.lua is right there next to Baldur.exe
    @Plague Lol, so you create the file on you own? That's not how it's gona work. When you start BG game, it creates baldur.lua in this location: C:\Users\youUsername\Documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition

If you don't have it create, it means that you game version is very old and you should update it, not try to workaroud the problem. Please just update the game to Patch 2.5, run it once and everything will be fine.
  • warwizardwarwizard Member Posts: 11
    Hey Alien,

one more question, Ill write it here and not in the linked you mentioned (which im reading right now):

In said thread I found this link:

https://github.com/BigWorldProject/Ascension/releases/tag/20170708

Provided by user Flap. He worried that the version is one year old but I take it this is the latest version. Right?

And one other thing.

I want to install ascension, stratagems, tweaks, unfinished business and banther packs.

I did research on my phone for hours in the train yesterday and checked multiple threads but theres too much conflicting information and mods can easily be messed up. So my question: In what order would you install those mods? Is that important or is there anything I need to pay attention to when installing those mods?

For banther, unfinished business and stratagems and also tweaks it was straightforward, just extracting into the game folder and then choosing the components.

Thx for any info. Usually id be to lazy if it gets too complicated but bg2 is too good to not play it when you wanne play it so i have to make thiswork.
    edited September 2018
    @warwizard Install order for such mods is quite complicated, because you are beginner, you should start from using BWS: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/44476/tool-big-world-setup-bws-mod-manager-for-baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-trilogy-for-windows/p1
  • warwizardwarwizard Member Posts: 11
    ALIEN said:

@warwizard Install order for such mods is quite complicated, because you are beginner, you should start from using BWS: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/44476/tool-big-world-setup-bws-mod-manager-for-baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-trilogy-for-windows/p1

Thx,

im about to install big world setup and have followed the steps turning of user account control and antivir, Installation seems to want me to create a save game first in BG2 before installing Big World setup? Create a save game before any mod or mod manager is installed. Is that correct?

I dont understand why I need to create a save game?