Skip to content

Community Opinions: How would you rate certain Dual Classed Kits?

NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
Hi Community,

Lately on top of attempting to complete my first no-reload run I've been experimenting with various kits particularly those from the thief class. Among Shadow Dancer, Assassin, Swashbuckler, and Bounty Hunter which offers the best versatility and sustainability when crossed with Figher on a scale of 1-10 or A+ thru F- rating?

Comments

• FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    edited October 2015
    It is unclear to me exactly what you are asking. Are you planning on starting with BG and running the same character through to the end of ToB? How are you planning to cross a thief with a fighter? If you want a thief kit you will have to start with that and then switch over to vanilla fighter ... at what level? 8? 9? Or will you wait until you start SoA to dual over?

Alternately, you could skip BG and start from Irenicus' prison in SoA. Create a thief kit and then switch over right away to Fighter. You'll be a crappy fighter at that point, but Imoen, Minsc and Yoshimo can help you get experience.

I presume that you want the thief kit for it's combat ability, and will rely on NPCs to deal with traps and locks? All kits except swashbuckler get fewer skill points per level to put into basic thief skills. Swashbucklers get normal skill point amounts, but cannot backstab. How important is backstabbing to you?

Be aware that thieves dualed over to fighters cannot have more than 2 pips in any given weapon specialization initially (being only level 1), and cannot use thief skills while wearing heavier armors.

Just for informational purposes, I went to SoA and rolled up a human bounty hunter, and dualed him over immediately to fighter. I was able to get 100 in both set traps and detect illusion before dualing. Needless to say, he was never going to be able to hide in shadows/move silently/backstab well.
    Post edited by FrdNwsm on
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Bounty Hunter is excellent as a single class, but it loses a lot by dual-classing, as its primary asset, Maze traps, only come in at level 21.

Swashbuckler to fighter is little different from a Fighter/Thief. You're just creating a character with thief skills and combat ability. It's good, but doesn't hold a large or particularly interesting advantage over another kit.

Assassin is an excellent anti-mage character, and fighter levels will help it apply poison more reliably and to more enemies.

Shadowdancer is probably ideal for a no-reload. @Grum has pointed out a trick that allows a Shadowdancer to effectively maintain permanent invisibility while backstabbing. You hide in shadows, click Detect Traps or another button, wait 6 seconds, and then backstab before returning to stealth. Clicking Detect Traps refreshes the timer on backstabbing, and if you wait 6 seconds, you can hide immediately after backstabbing.
  • NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
    FrdNwsm said:

It is unclear to me exactly what you are asking. Are you planning on starting with BG and running the same character through to the end of ToB? How are you planning to cross a thief with a fighter? If you want a thief kit you will have to start with that and then switch over to vanilla fighter ... at what level? 8? 9? Or will you wait until you start SoA to dual over?

Alternately, you could skip BG and start from Irenicus' prison in SoA. Create a thief kit and then switch over right away to Fighter. You'll be a crappy fighter at that point, but Imoen, Minsc and Yoshimo can help you get experience.

More or less create a BG1 char to tranfer over to BG2. As a base kit compared to one another I'm asking between Swashbuckler, Assassin, Shadow Dancer, and Bounty Hunter what are the strengths and weaknessess of each? Ultimately which one is best to cross over as a Fighter/Thief?
  • Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    Yeah, we need clarity on whether you are starting with a thief kit and then dualling to a fighter, or if you're starting as a fighter and then dualling to a thief and using shadowkeeper to assign a kit.

The first option, to start as a thief and then dual to a fighter, is weak. You get some minor thieving skills at the loss of a warrior's HPs, which is not a good tradeoff. Only a Swashbuckler to level 10 and then fighter would make sense - you get some AC and hit/damage bonuses which accentuate your fighting skills later, but no backstab. Assassin and Bounty Hunter offer very little for this.

The second option, starting as a fighter and then dualling to a thief, is very strong, almost irrespective of kit combination. You would dual at 9 (practical) or 13 (painful but ultimately stronger). In this combination, you could start as a vanilla fighter or a kit (even wizard slayer) - all have great synergies later and you're probably well aware of the powers of a kensai-thief or berserker-thief.

For thief kit once you dual, all are good though I'm more partial to swashbuckler or assassin than bounty hunter. A swashie would give you fantastic melee skills and an assassin would eventually be a godly backstabber when combined with the fighter levels.

You can also be extra cheesy and use kits from both classes with a bit of skadowkeeper magic after you dual and get your levels back. A kensai-assassin or even kensai-swashbuckler would have some hideous damage outputs, while a berserker-assassin or berserker-swashbuckler would give you excellent immunities to complement your fighting skills.

• ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Assassin into fighter can be very very strong in a no reload run because you get the very high APR from the fighter class and the poison weapon from the assassin kit. This works very very well with ranged weapon, particularly with tuigan bow which you get very early. You can get 5 APR to apply poison very early in the game, and being ranged allows you to stay safe. The sole problem being undead and enemies immune to poison. Note that you can find some explosive arrows during the new NPCs ToB quest, and these apply AoE poison. Excellent to get rid of massive groups of enemies (along with Vhailor's Helm, in order not to actually consume the real arrows when using this trick)
    One could easily cheese with the Hide in Plain Sight from the Shadow Dancer kit as well, making it ideal for soloing
    Swashbuckler is not that interesting if you plan to dual-class, it's not really more interesting than a multi F/T
    And I totally agree with @semiticgod on the Bounty Hunter.
    @Arunsun: It shouldn't be possible to combine Arrows of Detonation with Vhailor's Helm unless you're using a mod or you're importing BG1 arrows into BG2. Arrows of Detonation are absent in BG2; Vhailor's Helm is absent in BG1. If you could get them together, though, the helm would indeed let you preserve the arrows. I have a similar idea for Archers using Called Shot with Arrows of Detonation.

Very late game ToB, you can apply Poison Weapon or Called Shot to the Scorcher Ammunition or Frag Grenades, which also have area effects.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Assassin: Poison + Backstab make this a good kit to dual out of. Downside is having to be evil and less skill points to distribute.

Bountyhunter: As stated above, the best bounty hunter trap isnt available till much later. In a no reload run, you would want your set trap skill high enough so they don't blow up in your face, therefore, you would have to gimp some other skill. It is probably the least recommended to dual away from.

Swashbuckler: Is good to dual away from if you are going cleric as it serves as a poor man's fighter. Dualing to fighter however takes away one it's better benefits and you are left with +2 AC and +1 hit and damaged once dualed. Nothing to write home about, but you do get full skill distribution, but no backstab.

Shadowdancer: Is good because it gives you a get out of trouble free card with hide in plain sight and if that fails, Shadow Step. You trade damage and skill points over the assassin, however, if it is your first no-reload, it maybe your best option.
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    edited October 2015
    I was going to suggest fighter kit-> thief instead of thief kit-> fighter, but it sounded like the OP wanted it the other way around; getting some thief skills and then going for a high level fighter for the weapon skills and HLAs later on. As mentioned, this is a bit weak mechanically because of the HP loss, but I figured that was the sacrifice he/she was prepared to make. Also, race is restricted to human.

You might consider a fighter/thief multi; you can't get either a fighter or thief kit, but you can be pretty much any race. The obvious trade-off is slower level progression.

If you are going to use a mod of some sort to get around class/race/kit restrictions, then all bets are off. I haven't done any such thing, so can offer no experience-based advice, only speculations.

@Arunsun: It shouldn't be possible to combine Arrows of Detonation with Vhailor's Helm unless you're using a mod or you're importing BG1 arrows into BG2. Arrows of Detonation are absent in BG2; Vhailor's Helm is absent in BG1. If you could get them together, though, the helm would indeed let you preserve the arrows. I have a similar idea for Archers using Called Shot with Arrows of Detonation.

Very late game ToB, you can apply Poison Weapon or Called Shot to the Scorcher Ammunition or Frag Grenades, which also have area effects.

Well, you can get 5 or 10 of them in the weapon store in the BP arena which you visit during Neera's ToB Quest, and up to 10 on the Sharran ambush at the entrance of the Deepstone Clanhold map. The guard captain here holds ten and will fire them at you but if you are quick enough to kill him you will get what he could not fire at you.
  • Ancalagon44Ancalagon44 Member Posts: 252
    Assassins don't have to be evil - surprisingly, you get good assassins. I made one for the Black Pits 2.

I would vote for either assassin or shadowdancer. Swashbuckler loses too much when losing backstab.

Shadowdancers get most of their bonuses by level 10 or so, whereas assassins only increase their backstab multiplier beyond x5 at levels 17 and 21. They do get poison weapon, which is a fantastically powerful ability though.

Assassins don't have to be evil - surprisingly, you get good assassins. I made one for the Black Pits 2.

I would vote for either assassin or shadowdancer. Swashbuckler loses too much when losing backstab.

Shadowdancers get most of their bonuses by level 10 or so, whereas assassins only increase their backstab multiplier beyond x5 at levels 17 and 21. They do get poison weapon, which is a fantastically powerful ability though.

The multiplier is rather irrelevant anyway if you dual to fighter. It's roughly a bonus 2 APR, a bit less than that actually since you do not get on-hit more than once and strength bonus is not taken into account, which proves to be insignificant in terms of lategame damage output. The real point about an assassin anyway is poison weapon
  • Ancalagon44Ancalagon44 Member Posts: 252
    Higher multipliers can increase the chances of killing an enemy mage in one hit though, which is what I primarily use backstab for.

If I understand correctly, the formula for backstab damage is the following:
    ( Multiplier * (Weapon base damage) ) + strength bonus damage + proficiency bonus damage + weapon enchantment bonus damage

Is that correct?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    @Ancalagon44 Your formula is wrong.

It is:

(Backstab multiplier x (Base damage + Proficiency bonus + item bonus, bard song etc) + Strength bonus) x critical hit + additional weapon damage
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited October 2015
    ~ assassin > fighter ~
    power: A+++ (kicks major ass...)
    versatility: A (...in melee and at a distance and while both hidden and in sight)
    sustainability: B- (no shorty saves, no heavy armor, mediocre hp, can burn through skill uses; habitually hides which increases his survivability)
    convenience: D (better dualled at a fairly high level, so it's a hassle)
    \overall: A-

~ shadowdancer > fighter ~
    power: A
    versatility: C (generally a one trick pony)
    sustainability: A+ (definitely a survivor)
    convenience: C (best dualled at a moderately high level)
    \overall: B+

~ swashbuckler > fighter ~
    power: B
    versatility: D+ (swings and shoots and has a nice amount of skill points)
    sustainability: C (no shorty saves, lower hp and doesn't hide; wears heavy armor)
    convenience: B+ (best dualled at a relatively low level, little hassle)
    \overall: C+

~ bounty hunter > fighter ~
    power: B+
    versatility: D (swings and shoots and sets a nice trap here and there)
    sustainability: C
    convenience: C
    \overall: C-

and for reference:
    ~ shorty pure vanilla fighter ~
    versatility: D- (swings and shoots yay)
    sustainability: A (good HP, AC and saves)
    convenience: A+ (no hassle, stays your trusty meatshield throughout)
    I appreciate the suggestions and input everyone! Very insightful!
  • DeriloreDerilore Member Posts: 44
    Assassin/Mage

Power: Rank S (mislead, backstab, tensers, poison, 10 attacks per round in spider form)
    Versatility: Rank A ( you really only need find traps, you have knock and invis to cover the thief abilities)
    Sustainability: Rank S (if you have 18 wis, wish and limited wish can keep you going quite a while)
    Convenience: Rank S (Relies on some prep, but easily the best damage dealer, hard to kill. Only downside is it is activated power, most of the time you hand out in the back shooting. When things need to die its Minor sequencer (strength/shock grasp), polymorph self,improved haste, tensers transform, activate spider form, activate minor sequencer, activate poison. Which kills anything you just so happen to attack in a matter of seconds).
    Derilore said:

Assassin/Mage

Power: Rank S (mislead, backstab, tensers, poison, 10 attacks per round in spider form)
    Versatility: Rank A ( you really only need find traps, you have knock and invis to cover the thief abilities)
    Sustainability: Rank S (if you have 18 wis, wish and limited wish can keep you going quite a while)
    Convenience: Rank S (Relies on some prep, but easily the best damage dealer, hard to kill. Only downside is it is activated power, most of the time you hand out in the back shooting. When things need to die its Minor sequencer (strength/shock grasp), polymorph self,improved haste, tensers transform, activate spider form, activate minor sequencer, activate poison. Which kills anything you just so happen to attack in a matter of seconds).

If you are going to cheese and dispel natural weapon you may as well go for any class, use the infinite slayer trick and dispel the Slayer weapon and use any weapon you want with huge APR and STR. Inquisitor comes to mind.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    fighter ~
    sustainability: C (no shorty saves, lower hp and doesn't hide; wears heavy armor)
    I agree to pretty much everything @bob_veng says in his post but would probably up the swashie/fighter a bit since in terms of 'power' (if interpreted as killing power) it's an effective dual class if played as a straight up fighter with thief points.

yeah, well i gave him the same killing power grade as an unkitted fighter i added for reference below, which is about right i think
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    For some fun, try assassin/fighter with grandmastery in darts. 5 apr with assassin's +1 to damage on each hit as well as stacking poison. Nasty.

For some fun, try assassin/fighter with grandmastery in darts. 5 apr with assassin's +1 to damage on each hit as well as stacking poison. Nasty.

works even better with Tuigan bow actually because you have the same APR and more variety as far as ammo are concerned
    Arunsun said:

works even better with Tuigan bow actually because you have the same APR and more variety as far as ammo are concerned
    If an Assassin/Fighter were to somehow gain access to Detonation arrows while using the Gesen bow with the added poison ability would the electrical damage spread with the fire and poison damage?
    @Noloir: It should. Firetooth adds area-effect fire damage to flashers, if my memory is correct. Gesen should therefore add electrical damage to Arrows of Detonation.
  • DeriloreDerilore Member Posts: 44
    Arunsun said:

Derilore said:

Assassin/Mage

If you are going to cheese and dispel natural weapon you may as well go for any class, use the infinite slayer trick and dispel the Slayer weapon and use any weapon you want with huge APR and STR. Inquisitor comes to mind.
    Slayer is capped at 100HP, which I'm not a fan of. Plus RP wise it makes sense for a mage to polymorph spider arms (think doc octopus) and launch a ton of arrows.

If you're going for a fighter/thief character i'd probably go wizslayer dualed to thief or kensai. The UAI from thief gets past their normal class restrictions. A dual over at 7/9/13 would work well, thieves level fast enough you aren't exactly gimped very long.
    Derilore said:

Arunsun said:

Derilore said:

Assassin/Mage

Slayer is capped at 100HP, which I'm not a fan of. Plus RP wise it makes sense for a mage to polymorph spider arms (think doc octopus) and launch a ton of arrows.

If you're going for a fighter/thief character i'd probably go wizslayer dualed to thief or kensai. The UAI from thief gets past their normal class restrictions. A dual over at 7/9/13 would work well, thieves level fast enough you aren't exactly gimped very long.
    Dispelling the Slayer weapon also removes the HP cap.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    bob_veng said:

~ assassin > fighter ~
    versatility: A (...in melee and at a distance and while both hidden and in sight)
    sustainability: B- (no shorty saves, no heavy armor, mediocre hp, can burn through skill uses; habitually hides which increases his survivability)

and for reference:

A small quibble...

Shadowdancer > Fighter ~

Power: A+ (If you time your hiding right, you can remain invisible without ever being seen. Backstab with fighter levels and repeat until the enemy is dead. If you ever mess up, use your shadowdancer ability to jump into the plane of shadow and hide)

Versatility: A (Can go toe to toe with the enemy and get out when the going gets bad. When fighting mages, can use HiPS to interrupt spells. Can backstab, scout, kite and hack away)

Sustainability: A+ (definatley a survivor)

Convenience: C- (I dualed at lvl 13 for full backstab, which I feel is needed. So it wasn't until lvl 14 that I got the shadow dancer levels back. That was a real pain in the arse to get that much experience)

Overall: A

Getting the XP back was pretty hard. But this is a character who is useful throughout the saga. He can clear entire areas completely by himself. Heck, for much of the saga I found that having a party was a liability. But by the time you reach ToB, many enemies see through invisibility (even if you have the much needed cloak that should stop that) or are immune to backstabs. But by then you have so many fighter levels that you can fight them face to face and use your shadow dancer abilities to make a get away if you get in trouble. So Charname still stays relevant.

Shadowdancer Fighters are great at both their roles. I've never played such an overpowered character before.

• WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Grum said:

bob_veng said:

~ assassin > fighter ~

and for reference:

A small quibble...

Shadowdancer > Fighter ~

Power: A+ (If you time your hiding right, you can remain invisible without ever being seen. Backstab with fighter levels and repeat until the enemy is dead. If you ever mess up, use your shadowdancer ability to jump into the plane of shadow and hide)

Versatility: A (Can go toe to toe with the enemy and get out when the going gets bad. When fighting mages, can use HiPS to interrupt spells. Can backstab, scout, kite and hack away)

Sustainability: A+ (definatley a survivor)

Convenience: C- (I dualed at lvl 13 for full backstab, which I feel is needed. So it wasn't until lvl 14 that I got the shadow dancer levels back. That was a real pain in the arse to get that much experience)

Overall: A

Getting the XP back was pretty hard. But this is a character who is useful throughout the saga. He can clear entire areas completely by himself. Heck, for much of the saga I found that having a party was a liability. But by the time you reach ToB, many enemies see through invisibility (even if you have the much needed cloak that should stop that) or are immune to backstabs. But by then you have so many fighter levels that you can fight them face to face and use your shadow dancer abilities to make a get away if you get in trouble. So Charname still stays relevant.

Shadowdancer Fighters are great at both their roles. I've never played such an overpowered character before.

I can't agree with this.

Minuses:
    - low HP
    - reliance on thief weapons for backstab
    - long dual class cycle
    - vulnerable to enemies that see invisibility
    - time consuming to maximise usefulness
    - primary ability is replicable with items

Overall it is a combination that suits a solo style of play but can't solo against specific enemies and therefore I simply can't see it as a combination that can receive anything better than a B+/-.

Plenty of combinations are much more powerful.
    I don't think a level 13 dual-class for a Shadowdancer would be optimal even for a solo run. It's a very big investment in XP for a slightly higher backstab. You'd be spending a lot of time as an unkitted fighter.

If your enemy can see through invisibility, the backstab doesn't come into play. If your enemy can't, you don't really need the extra backstab damage, since you can always escape and try again. An enemy that can't see you is already doomed; a higher backstab just makes the fight slightly quicker.
    yeah, i'm thinking lvl9 or lvl10 tops
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    edited November 2015
    One thing I should mention about bounty hunters is that their lower-level special traps are arguably better than their higher-level ones. I think the best one is the one they get at 11th level, so you might want to use a bounty hunter and dual class at level 11.