Skip to content

To be blunt and to the point... What improved weaponry would you like to see in SoD?

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Come to think of it: another weapon type that is direly needed are bare-knuckles for Monks. Or at the very least gloves like they had in NwN. Oh, and magically sweaty socks for them round-house kicks!
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944

Oh, and magically sweaty socks for them round-house kicks!

Chuck Norris has a licence for round-house kicks so you'll have to ask him for permission.
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    My needs are simple. Just give me a lovely new sling. I am a powerful mage, the daughter of a god, yet I can’t manage to add a little oomph to my sling? Phft…
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    I would like there to be at least one weapon for each weapon type that actually has an interesting effect, rather than just doing slightly more damage and being slightly more accurate. It's fine with me if these weapons aren't that powerful, I just want them to be interesting. For example, there might be a two-handed sword that can only attack once per round (like the Chesly Crusher) but casts a one-second Time Stop with each hit.
  • ChnapyChnapy Member Posts: 360
    I'd want a Lance of Dragonspear, thank you very much.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    By the end of BG1ee we've already got at least one weapon of each type which is good enough to use in the early stages of BG2ee, and therefore must be amply powerful for SoD. Some of the end-BG1ee weapons are good enough that you could viably use them all the way through BG2ee:SoA (and there's at least one BG1ee weapon which is still a credible option right to the end of BG2ee:ToB). Perhaps a couple of additional copies of some of those would come in handy, though.

Some of the suggestions here (e.g. a +APR blunt weapon) would certainly be a useful and proportionate addition for BG2ee, and I'd support that, but it's probably over-powered to include that in SoD.

Therefore, I think I'll side with the call for new weapons to have "interesting" effects rather than raw +ness.

One irritating lack which could be usefully addressed, IMO, is a returning throwing dagger. Just a +1, we shouldn't need more spectacular power than that for SoD, but saving us from having to carry around a heavy stock of mundane throwing daggers would be a considerable convenience.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @Chnapy

I'd really rather you didn't create a lance outta me. That sounds relatively painful, and it would definitely qualify as an evil act. Being a paladin and all.

Besides, why try to take all my family heirlooms. I'd like SOME of them >.>
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    The fact that there is no magical repeating throwing dagger saddens me. And also the fact that in BG:EE there is no viable spear options.
    O_Bruce said:

The fact that there is no magical repeating throwing dagger saddens me.

Agreed.
    O_Bruce said:

And also the fact that in BG:EE there is no viable spear options.

Whatever do you mean? There's a Spear +2 available. It's not the greatest weapon in the game, of course, but it's an entirely viable option if you want a character to use Spears.
    Whatever do you mean? There's a Spear +2 available. It's not the greatest weapon in the game, of course, but it's an entirely viable option if you want a character to use Spears.

There is? Because I only found Spear +1 and cursed Spear +3.
    O_Bruce said:

There is? Because I only found Spear +1 and cursed Spear +3.

Fight Jacil and his Blink Dogs in the Merchants' League Counting House, in the north-east octant of BG City. Jacil drops a Spear +2.

In order for Jacil to be there, it may be the case that you need to go into the Merchants' League Counting House before accepting Mendas's quest in Ulgoth's Beard, because once you accept Mendas's quest then the Counting House will be occupied by Ulf (downstairs) and Tollar Kieres (upstairs) instead of Jacil. (I always go there before taking Mendas's quest, I can't remember what happens about Jacil if you take Mendas's quest before first visiting the Counting House.)
    It explains a lot. Usually I do good party playthroughs so I'm not trying to, like, rob Merchant's Guild. Even me accpeting Mendas quest depends.
    edited November 2015
    Dee said:

I want to see the episode of Xena where she gives her warrior cry and hurls a pair of polearms around the room.
    I really do.

@Dee , is that your way of saying that some exotic weaponry is not suitable for SoD ?
    I don't know who that Xena is.
    Post edited by brus on
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    @brus Xena: Warrior Princess, was a US/New Zealand TV show in the '90s. She uses a chakram as her signature weapon.

Xena with her chakram.

Actually, I was somewhat puzzled by your equating the chakram and the halberd, they don't seem to have much in common to me.
    edited November 2015
    BillyYank said:

@brus Xena: Warrior Princess, was a US/New Zealand TV show in the '90s. She uses a chakram as her signature weapon.

Xena with her chakram.
    Actually, I was somewhat puzzled by your equating the chakram and the halberd, they don't seem to have much in common to me.

This Xena women definetely hits Baldur's gate cosplay. I thought he's some warrior out of place of BG theme.
    I was equating magical returning throwing halberds with mechanics of chakrams. It's the same.
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    Composite Longbows.
  • NightRevanNightRevan Member Posts: 81
    BillyYank said:

Xena with her chakram.

Now I want a glaive from the 80's film Krull :)
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    With a 100 new items on the way, I think most weapons will be covered. If I could dream, I would want to add items not existing at all like; twohanded axes, onehanded spears, throwing spears/peltast and proper great swords. All of these lack animations though, so it won't happen.

What could be done though, perhaps, is to expand the halberd category into a polearm category and add a number of different options there.
    edited November 2015
    Skatan said:

With a 100 new items on the way, I think most weapons will be covered. If I could dream, I would want to add items not existing at all like; twohanded axes, onehanded spears, throwing spears/peltast and proper great swords. All of these lack animations though, so it won't happen.

I'm dreaming of dual wielding slings with a mage(cleric) ;)
    Post edited by brus on
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Hahaha @brus, that would be wicked!

I have to admit I have imagined my berzerker dwarf weilding both the throwable axe and warhammer, wishing it was possible. I loved to play a chucker baba or hybrid WW/thrower back in DII, and the idea of dual weilding throwables is intrigueing (hence my dream of throwable spears/peltast!).
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I've got to admit that the lack of a usable option in the throwing daggers arena really should be addressed. Sure you can lug around tons (almost literally) of throwing knives in the first game, but seriously? Make a stack of 10 that replenish. Or even one that magically returns.
    Chnapy said:

Or just Laurel Lance?
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838

Chnapy said:

Or just Laurel Lance?
    I won't say no
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    I chose the wrong option by accident without thinking, but honestly? Throwing weapons. Darts specifically. The lack of seriously good magic darts post-BG1 is sad. Wouldn't mind other throwing weapons as well, like say, Shurikens maybe?
    Hmm, I've had a further thought.

Since we're likely to lose the ability (after the level increase in SoD) to recruit Valygar (in BG2ee) at level 8, and will therefore have to accept him at level 9+, when he comes with a Dagger proficiency instead of what we'd be likely to choose (typically Scimitar, for Belm +2) if we could control his level 9 level-up ourselves, it'd therefore compensate for this problem if we could have a Dagger with +2 THAC0 and +1 APR (and maybe even 1 point of elemental damage too).

I therefore suggest that SoD should add a speed-Dagger, which should be a new transferable item from SoD to BG2ee.

A speed-Dagger would also be a very handy additional off-hand option for some other dual-wielding builds (as protagonist) for which Dagger seems a roleplay-appropriate proficiency, such as a Swashbuckler.

I chose the wrong option by accident without thinking, but honestly? Throwing weapons. Darts specifically. The lack of seriously good magic darts post-BG1 is sad. Wouldn't mind other throwing weapons as well, like say, Shurikens maybe?

Isn't there a +4 throwing dart that magically returns to your hand after attack in BG2? That seems pretty awesome in my book. Granted you need to go to Watcher's keep to get it, but still.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Isn't there a +4 throwing dart that magically returns to your hand after attack in BG2?

Not quite, but almost. You're thinking of the Crimson Dart, which is +3 rather than +4. But yes, that's still pretty darn good.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156

Hey, I get it now: "blunt and to the point" are puns! :D I knew there was something about that title. :)

You would be good in insult sword fighting. ^_^

And I have a tip for you, get the point?