Skip to content

You know what's always bothered me about Baldur's Gate?

Inspired by a similarly named and styled thread https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/30774/you-know-youre-playing-too-much-baldurs-gate-when I decided to make this thread for us to gripe about our minor issues with the Baldur's Gate games (and Icewind Dale too, I suppose). This minor quirk has always seriously irked me.

So, to start it all off...

You know what's always bothered me about Baldur's Gate?

1. How every character is ambidextrous. Everyone's right handed until you give them a bow. Then suddenly they're perfectly ambidextrous.

Comments

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    6. That a certain someone had to go and die.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Gotural said:

2. That some spellcasters just blatantly cheat and continue their casting without interruption when they take damage.

I am starting to wonder if this is a bug... I am convinced it only happens if a caster is facing certain directions. I wonder if it could be fixed...
  • YelocessejYelocessej Member Posts: 182
    15. You can't resurrect Gorion
  • EmpyrialEmpyrial Member Posts: 107
    18. Druids don't feel nature-y enough in BG. There's just so much overlap with Clerics that they feel like Clerics with a few spells tweaking their difference. IWD did a lot better of a job with this though through a variety of other nature effects, like stone and water manipulation.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    Grum said:

7. That they scrapped Imoen turning into a rabid slayer when you get to her in Spellhold.

And being left with either annoying useless Nalia for a thief or the very useful but very annoying Jan for the other?
    You already lost two party members. Khalid and Dynaheir and the charming awesome thief Yoshimo.
    (I don't count Hexxat as she was added with the EEs).

19. Back then, we got the Barbarbian, Monk and Sorcerer as classes. Wild Mage with Throne of Bhaal.
    Why wasn't any of them used for NPCs? And such a perfect chance to turn Nalia into a Sorceress and make her truly stand out.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    21. How the story just glosses over things that should be more vocalized.
    22. That I can't sleep with every drow (coughfemalecough) in the underdark, including sendai :disappointed:
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    edited December 2015
    joluv said:

my charname would her into a matron mother >.>
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428

23. You can't resurrect anybody that isn't in the party.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited December 2015

To elaborate a bit on this. At least for 3E, not sure about 2E but it's probably the same:
    You cannot resurrect people that don't want to come back. The soul must be willing to return.

Gorion was old. He lived a good life and raised Charname as best as he could (probably?).
    Why would he want to return? So he can hold Charname back and make both of them targets again?
    Besides, there are better people out there who can guide him (Elminster).

As for Khalid, he was always a coward. Why would he want to return? So Jaheira can babysit him some more?
    The adventuring life wasn't for him and he probably knew it and showed it.
    Let's not forget, that him being Neutral Good, he most likely ended in a NG plane like Elysium, where he found peace and he can relax, perhaps reuniting with loved ones.

Same with Gorion. Returning to his old and tired body in hostile times or enjoy eternity in Celestia (Lawful Good)?
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    That explains Seniyad...hate that guy's Call Lightning, forces me to use a Potion of Absorption every time.