Skip to content

Pillars of Eternity (NO SPOILERS)

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @elminster and @the_spyder This little thing in the first dungeon is hungry, if you reread what the game tells you about it. So you can back off and leave it and then go and search for some food for this creature.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725

I was just looking at the Steam Achievement page for the game. In an age where game content is usually devoured as quickly as humanly possible, less than 1% of the people who bought the game have beaten it. Only 2% have beaten Act 2. Hell, less than 25% of people have progressed through Act 1. Not a single solitary soul has beaten it on Expert or Path of the Damned. I feel like this says something good about how deep this game really is.

Although there's obviously some truth in this, I have to note the following. Currently a lot of people get game-breaking bugs, such as losing all passive abilities and getting stuck in the Raedric's Hold. One of the best ways to fix things in these cases is using a console. And activating the console means no Steam achievements at all in the future.

So, at least some part of players didn't get any achievements became they activated the console.

Another reason, and maybe even bigger one, is that this game is really open: you can go wherever you wish, not bound by following the main questline. Thus many people just play the game as they want, visiting side areas and opening distant quests. I'm one of these people:)
  • CluasCluas Member Posts: 355
    ^
    Or people start new games. Personally I've only made it to Cad Nua. But with 5 different party's - YEAH!
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    I looked at a character creation video for PoE just out of curiosity. In your experience, how is the Race and Class balance? I know that Josh Sawyer made a big effort to make the game more balanced, but going on just one review video, it looks like Druids and Godlike are a bit overpowered. I can imagine a Fire Godlike going for max'd physical stats and just transforming into a bear and tearing everything up, and even burning enemies when they get injured.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    A fire godlike druid... That sounds interesting :)
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Just a question before I head over to the PoE forum proper, is anyone having any kind of sound issues? I progressed through the first dungeon twice on "Easy" just to get my feet wet. Then I jumped up to "Normal" for my third pass and I get this obvious sound glitch that sounds like a motor running constantly. I know it is a glitch because (a) it never happened in the previous two tries and (b) sometimes it will stop and then restart a few seconds to a minute later.
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    edited March 2015
    Heindrich said:

I looked at a character creation video for PoE just out of curiosity. In your experience, how is the Race and Class balance? I know that Josh Sawyer made a big effort to make the game more balanced, but going on just one review video, it looks like Druids and Godlike are a bit overpowered. I can imagine a Fire Godlike going for max'd physical stats and just transforming into a bear and tearing everything up, and even burning enemies when they get injured.

Druids are OP
    furthemore, here in PoE you dont have weapon restriction, a druid can fight with a 2 handed sword with no problems...
    Add to this very usefull spell (offensive, defensive, heal, buff, armor etc...) and i suppose you are untouchable. Next run I'll build a druid, I need to finish the story with my fighter first
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Seldar said:

Heindrich said:

Druids are OP
    furthemore, here in PoE you dont have weapon restriction, a druid can fight with a 2 handed sword with no problems...
    Add to this very usefull spell (offensive, defensive, heal, buff, armor etc...) and i suppose you are untouchable. Next run I'll build a druid, I need to finish the story with my fighter first
    My main on the first run is a Druid, Wolf form. Depending on the situation, I can send him into the thick of it, or annihilate things with AoE elemental damage. Thus far it seems to me that the Druid spells pack a hell of a larger punch than the Wizards, but I don't even have my full party at level 4 yet.

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447

Just a question before I head over to the PoE forum proper, is anyone having any kind of sound issues? I progressed through the first dungeon twice on "Easy" just to get my feet wet. Then I jumped up to "Normal" for my third pass and I get this obvious sound glitch that sounds like a motor running constantly. I know it is a glitch because (a) it never happened in the previous two tries and (b) sometimes it will stop and then restart a few seconds to a minute later.

The same thing happened to me last night. It was definitely caused by something, but I didn't have time to go back and figure out what.
  • WithgilWithgil Member Posts: 39
    Disable the tooltips they are sometimes causing the clicking sound. I am sick at the moment so I have plenty of time to play... steam says 55 hours.
    And its glorious, had a single quest bug till now. (somewhere in act 3, part of mainquest but not required to progress)
    Now I am fighting the endboss of Od Nua and I just cant beat him, he has some adds with him, crazy stats and an attack which almost one shots my whole party.
  • QbertQbert Member Posts: 195
    Yeah sound issues seem to be a pretty common bug. @Heindrich Very generally Druids and Chanters are strong and Rangers are weak currently. (disclaimer i have not tried all of these classes this is second hand knowledge)
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    @Qbert How does the race balance feel? I typically almost always play bog-standard humans in RPGs, but the bonuses for Godlike seem way stronger, at least on a first impression. I also tend to go with spellcasters, but I am quite tempted by the idea of a raging Fire Godlike tearing it up in close combat.

Of course I don't even own the game yet, and probably won't get to it for quite a long time yet, but I do tend to start my lore and mechanics research well before actually starting a serious RPG. :smile:
    @Withgil - Thanks very much. Thinking back on how it played out, the sound is a regular clicking sound and starts up when the tutorial tips are showing. I am sure that is the issue.
    edited March 2015
    I've played a fire godlike and the +4 dr is really nice but the fire damage is so negligible that it doesn't matter.
    My main is a pale elf and i haven't yet run into a situation where i've seen fire damage or cold damage reduced by the racial, so i'm not sure if it's working correctly or i've just not been affected by enough fire or cold damage dealing monsters to notice it.

the word from the forums was the hearth orlan racial was far and away the best ability. i have yet to play one so i don't know.

edited dt to dr.

edit2: the devs will rebalance quite a few of these issues so what applies now probably won't be the case later. Also there are some pretty major bugs that could effect these things so this info may or may not be useful for you.
  • woowoovoodoowoowoovoodoo Member Posts: 150
    edited March 2015
    @Heindrich, a good review of race bonuses and their trade-offs: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=416939844 (section 2. Races)
    The guide by itself is not finished yet though.
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    edited April 2015
    Any other cheaters here? I got stuck in an irritating part of Od Nua with no saves to go back to so I had to activate the console or lose half my party members. Only somehow I'm typing it in wrong, help?

Managed to limp out after all. ^^
    Post edited by TheElf on
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Withgil said:

Disable the tooltips they are sometimes causing the clicking sound. I am sick at the moment so I have plenty of time to play... steam says 55 hours.
    And its glorious, had a single quest bug till now. (somewhere in act 3, part of mainquest but not required to progress)
    Now I am fighting the endboss of Od Nua and I just cant beat him, he has some adds with him, crazy stats and an attack which almost one shots my whole party.

Not sure many if any are having any luck with that fight from what I've read. At a minimum, it seems you would need a fully leveled party, and even then it seems like it's designed as a near impossible fight, Watcher's Keep on steroids.
    Heindrich said:

@Qbert How does the race balance feel? I typically almost always play bog-standard humans in RPGs, but the bonuses for Godlike seem way stronger, at least on a first impression. I also tend to go with spellcasters, but I am quite tempted by the idea of a raging Fire Godlike tearing it up in close combat.

Of course I don't even own the game yet, and probably won't get to it for quite a long time yet, but I do tend to start my lore and mechanics research well before actually starting a serious RPG. :smile:

Godlike deliberately got a little bit better bonusesm yes, but they can't use helmets at all and there're a lot of good ones in the game, so it's a fair trade-off I think.

Overall, the race and the class balance feels fine. This game is nice in terms of balance. Yes, if you know the game better, you can try some "more powerful builds" but if you play the game as it is without checking guieds and strategies online, then the game will be balanced to you.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    edited April 2015
    I'm not sure what to do at this point. i'm at caed nua with my first playthrough, which seems the tipping point for quite a few of these bugs. (luckily never experienced the raedric hold ones)

I am not sure if i want to continue playing and just see what happens, or start new playthroughs like mlnevese is doing and taking the chance that not all fixes will be retroactive.

Not playing for a few weeks/months until the game is patched appropriately is not an appealing option to me.

Edit: iKrivetko that's a pretty disturbing picture!
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    bengoshi said:

I know that the same problem happens with the Cipher's Soul whip ability...

The thread with critical bugs is growing with each hour and already has 7 pages: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/73757-list-of-bugs-that-everyone-should-know-about-game-breaking/

Last Friday the developers said we could get a patch this week. Now I think that even if we do we won't get all the critical bugs fixed in this patch - too little time remains for testing all of them.

@bengoshi,
    I play a cipher and I haven't experienced such a bug yet.
    No showstopper yet. However I can list the following:
    - One npc (Kana Rua in my case) gaining an additional point of intellect. (quick reload effect ?)
    - Horrible sound during several battles (the worst being the boss battle in Od Nua lvl 5)
    - Weird graphic effects when killing beasts and monsters (such as a "wolf" growing and flying across the screen, undeads exploding into chunks of flesh).
    - not sure this is a bug but I know there is one specific container which offer the same refreshed content each time you enter the area.
    - I think the quick save/load operation does not properly clean all variables and memory. For instance I tried a lot of strategies at Od Nua lvl3 (I was underpowered) and after a substantial amount of reloads the game had a strange behaviour (stronghold events not properly discarded for instance). Nothing proved but just in case... I periodically close and relaunch the game.

I am still confident in their ability to patch the game in the very near future.
    All in all they created such a vast game in just 30 months(?), those guys are fast and talented.

As a point of comparison, I also remember the disastrous release of Wasteland 2, they quickly fixed the major bugs and the second patch (which was distributed about 4 weeks after release) made the game fully playable.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    Silly question: how the GOG version get patches? Autodetect on start?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/updates_of_gog_games

Just keep restarting characters. It'll get patched in the meantime! ^__^

Can't wait to play in a few weeks. :)

I am actually beginning to think this is the proper response, merely to let the game sit for a few weeks and THEN go back in. After all, I still have Shadow of Mordor and Dragon Age: Inquisition to play out. Not to mention finishing my IWD:EE play through...

• MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    edited April 2015
    elminster said:

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/updates_of_gog_games

Yeah, I was lazy. :mrgreen:

EDIT: and thank you! :smiley:
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.