Skip to content

Pillars of Eternity (NO SPOILERS)

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    bengoshi said:

Overall, I guess it's exactly what we all have needed after all these years since the latest IE game was released.

Actually I was hoping the game would utilize hotkeys way better, to the point that you could realistically control one character without needing to pause to click the right spell. I mean try doing it in BG2 with 40 different memod spells and only having your mouse and function keys to scroll them with.

This is actually a step backwards as far as hotkeys go because you can at least assign keys to individual spells in BG.
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    played it 2 hours

for me, it looks like a mix between IWD 2 (for rules and game mechanics) and NWN (3D animations)

BG is still better for me but well, I have played only 2 hours

(small quests look really cool, really bg-like)
  • BGLoverBGLover Member Posts: 550
    Pillars of Eternity. I love it. Alot. And then I love it some more.

Nuff said!
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    Am I missing something, or is there actually no way of using abilities via hotkeys?
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Played it a bit last night. It took me a good 90 minutes to roll a character as I am going into the game completely blind (have not read/watched anything regarding the game).

Rolled an elven ranger /w a lion. Still attempting to figure out some of the game mechanics as it can be a bit confusing.

Autopause is also annoying as the game is attempting to pause the same time I am, so it doesnt pause, but that is fixable.

I am not a fan of the scripts parts as I wish they kept them in game like BG does. I am also not a fan of choices being shown when I can not choose them. I am hoping to find a way to turn them off. Both of these, IMO are mood breaking. The first I'll get use to it, the second needs to fixed.

The story and build up is "meh" so far.
    Being the only survivor of a caravan attack with no real threat to your life (excluding the mysterious illness and first quest to get berries and water which you can use in the first dungeon get something else with no reprocussions) doesnt make me want to jump into game epicly like BG or Dragon Age, nor a slow build up like IWD 1&2.

It may pick up, but RP wise, I can just shrug my shoulders and turn around and go back to being a cook. It didn't hook me like t should have.

I have 4 days off after today so I'll get to explore the world a bit more. I am enjoying the game and there is a real familiar feel to it and it looks deeper than other Infinity games, but only time will tell if that is true or not.
  • terzaerianterzaerian Member Posts: 232
    Tuth said:

I had similar problem with crashing after Kickstarter logo and posted the problem on the forum. Thankfully someone knew how to fix this:
    http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/71813-game-crash/

Thanks for this. The damndest thing is I went to Sunless Sea's support board and they gave me a few methods to fix it, including this one. I had tried to delete that file before but allegedly it wasn't present when I checked, so I downloaded an uncorrupted version of UNCL.TFF and installed it, and still got the crash. I deleted the uncorrupted version, and things started to work again.

Goddam Windows
  • DanathionDanathion Member Posts: 173
    @deltago Game options: 'Show unqualified interactions' and 'Show qualifiers' should help you out a bit. ;)

I'm just about to make a character, I've been putting it off for fear of having the same kind of reaction you have...
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,185
    So curiosity won and I bought the game. And it runs! On my Intel Celeron 3.33 Ghz, 2 GB RAM and 512Mb graphic card. Well it's sub-optimal and loading times make me remember BG2 all those years ago, but it runs. But anyway, I probably end up buying a new machine.
    I'm less upset about the combat now. Checked my enemies in the bestiary and considering their levels I was right to be having problems. So no balance problems - and the other gripes I can live with for now.

Mostly I wanted to say search, search, search the whole world for traps and secrets.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited March 2015
    Damn Shadows. Why won't you just let my mage blow you away. There's no need to stray away from my melee characters (and act intelligently by doing so) :p
  • CluasCluas Member Posts: 355
    Even better than I had hoped. I have no time to post any details. Must play. MUST PLAY MORE NOW!!
    Anyone beat Raedric yet? If so what level were you?
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    edited March 2015
    @elminster Level 4 when I beat him, hard difficulty, first try too.

I'm just going to mention that I've played this game far too much already, I'm quite a way past Raedric now...
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    i just got KO'ed by a bunch of knock-off myconids. not loving this game so far to be honest. the story and backgrounds are brilliant, but i'm not a fan of the combat system (but to be honest, this is mostly because i have no idea how it works yet)
    edited March 2015
    I'm really liking it in general though there are a few things I haven't liked. After not having much like finding "cruel" and "deceptive" options (at least compared to the other number of other dispositions I was finding) I finally even got to be totally, unapologetically cruel to someone. Hehe...praise Skaen :)
    simples said:

i just got KO'ed by a bunch of knock-off myconids. not loving this game so far to be honest. the story and backgrounds are brilliant, but i'm not a fan of the combat system (but to be honest, this is mostly because i have no idea how it works yet)

@simples The myconids beat me too, if you're careful you can pull the small ones and not get the big ones, you'll still get the thing you need off the corpse. Just wait until you get into defiance bay, one of the questlines has tons of mega hard enemies (or at least that's what I found)

@elminster I'm being nice for this playthrough though I must admit I'm slightly disappointed that I haven't found anyone to put in my dungeon yet.
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    elminster said:

Raedric's was where I was at when I said I felt stuck. Man, that quest is impossible if you pretty much head straight at it as I did. I just came back and beat it with a level 4/5 full party.
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    I've finally gotten to play for a couple of hours and am really enjoying it so far. Like everyone else I am having a little trouble getting used to the combat system. My mage keeps missing with his aoe spells because the critters move out of the way before he even casts! And that's actually one of the things I'm enjoying. The first time I played Baldur's Gate I got killed constantly on easy because the mechanics are so complicated. This feels exactly the same to me, just with different rules to wrestle with and figure out. My character is just starting out in the world and has no idea what's what, so why should I?
    I'm pretty shocked at how well this looks and runs on my crummy little laptop. Everything is smooth and crisp.
    TheElf said:

elminster said:

Raedric's was where I was at when I said I felt stuck. Man, that quest is impossible if you pretty much head straight at it as I did. I just came back and beat it with a level 4/5 full party.
    I went through the sewers and snook around for ages finding secret passages, that way you only really have to deal with a few undead and raedric himself, but that end fight is as hard as Terry Crews' pecks.
  • TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618
    I hate Steam, so I gave my roomie my Steam key.
    Sadly, that means I have to wait until I get the DVD in the mail, whenever they get around to sending it.

Man I want to play so bad!

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited March 2015
    TheElf said:

elminster said:

Much like BG1 (best example), just because you CAN go somewhere on the map doesn't mean you are READY to go somewhere. I could head to the Nashkel Mines from the second I get out of Candlekeep and visit the Friendly Arm, but I don't think I've ever done it, since it could certainly put you in the some dicey situations.

The bear on the first forest map after you lose your tutorial companions seems like he was put there just to hammer that point into your head, as if to say "hey there hotshot, why don't you come back when you aren't such a weak loser, and maybe have some friends." I got my ass handed to me by that beast in one shot.
    wubble said:

I'm just going to mention that I've played this game far too much already, I'm quite a way past Raedric now...

Wait, so you evaded the bug preventing you from leaving the keep after defeating him? I thought it was indiscriminate.

@elminster Raedric was a tough one indeed. My party, consisting of my first character and three NPC's, was level four. I cleared the room behind him, then I sent my tank in to talk to him. After that he ran to the larger room where the other three were waiting, stopped in the doorway and forced the enemies to queue up to melee us. Leonidas smiled in his grave.
    edited March 2015
    enqenq said:

wubble said:

Wait, so you evaded the bug preventing you from leaving the keep after defeating him? I thought it was indiscriminate.

Bug? :D
    Well b****r me, I think I had a crash at some point and couldn't find my saves, then I restarted my pc and continued. I think this may have been in raedrics hold but I'm not sure. Guess I'm just lucky.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    Defiance Bay is massive city. I thought they might be exaggerating when during their kickstarter they stated they would have 2 cities the size of BG, but DB actually way more things to do than BG had. *mindblown*