Skip to content

Roleplaying Challenge: Ravenloft

Comments

• Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Alora is very impressed. She feels that Edwin has already outwitted Strahd. She almost feels sorry for the silly old vampire.
  • EvinfuiltEvinfuilt Member Posts: 505
    edited November 2012
    The fiend has no doubt scry'd our coming, if in fact he didn't plan its arrival. In a way, I am certain we were destined to arrive at nightfall, and any attempt to arrive by day would be for naught. He has an upper hand, and sadly I agree with Alora, we let Edwin lead us to our fate. Our slimmest chance of survival relies on the intelligence of a man who only needs us to keep him alive long enough to find his own route to immortality. That is if an asp doesn't dissolve him to goo, or some random rogue kill him without a chance to use his wit in battle.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    Edwin's eyes widen slightly at Keldorns words.

"Hmm and to think I thought you devoid of even the use of the simplest logic. It is of course the basest of conclusions that I should lead, my intellect being far the superior of anyone else in this group (though the bar is not set high.)"
  • EvinfuiltEvinfuilt Member Posts: 505
    There is wisdom in seeing you either redeemed or dead while killing Strahd, why be surprised in that. Either way, the man you were on arrival to this land will never leave, either a new person with high morals, or none at all.
    Alora starts to whistle a rather tuneless rendition of "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life".
  • jhart1018jhart1018 Member Posts: 909
    "Strahd likes to play with his victims. It amuses him. I'm just not convinced waltzing up to the front door for tea and a villainous monologue is a good idea. Is there no protected spot we can camp for tonight? Edwin is likely right about Strahd knowing we're here and his potential reception of us this evening, but assuming we didn't all try to kill one another quickly thereafter, it's unlikely we'd be given run of the castle the next sunrise."
    edited November 2012
    Edwin rubs his eyes, it is hard for him dealing with those of such simple minds, it is however his lot in life.

Edwin smiles a toothy grin at Aerie.

"What safer place than inside the castle itself? Strahd will doubt we have the ability to get that far (You would not without my help I'm sure). If nothing else it will be warmer and less drafty."
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    "I call dibs on his castle when he's dead."
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Shortly, the road splits in two. One turns west, away from the castle, while the other leg turns east. At the eastern fork is a fancy carriage pulled by two horses as black as pitch. They toss their heads and snort, sending hot bursts of steam and flames into the air. The door to the carriage is open, but you can't see anyone within. The smell of Brimstone rises strongly from the horses and carriage.
    "I like the look of the westerly road."
    Awong124 said:

"I call dibs on his castle when he's dead."

He's already dead. So why don't you go see if he's in the carriage and ask him for the keys.

Edwin dismounts his horse and strides confidently to the carriage. He begins to climb inside and looks back toward the others.

"As I foretold our arrival was expected. The rest of you may skulk about in the shadows while moving toward the castle if you wish. I would advise however that you join me in here."

With that, Edwin takes a seat.
    Alora runs over to join Edwin. It's all a bit spooky but she is sure she will be safe with Edwin to protect her.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Someone has to keep that halfling safe... Ajantis joins in the carriage.
    Aerie hops in as well. She dislikes Edwin's gloating, but Alora and Ajantis might need her help. So might Edwin, if more wolves decide to chew on him...
  • MyvalMyval Member Posts: 127
    Cernd frown, feeling uneasy about entering the carriage with the small part of his party. "I'm not sure if we should take that carriage, it unsettling. It's smell, is not what it should be." He said, eyeing the carraige, and trying to get a better look at the horse pulling it.
    The horses eyes glint red.
    Edwin eyes Cernd with amusement.

"Surely someone who transforms into a wolf cannot judge a simple carriage and deem it unnatural."
  • rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    eyes the horses with mistrust as she watches half of her companions eagerly clamber into the carriage.
    "Ha! 'tis a dark foul thing indeed that would have such obvious devil-beasts at his command. And foolish are those that unquestioningly trust!
    Scowling sourly at the powerful red wizard as he settles comfortably into the carriage, unsure whether he may have some secret deal going with Strahd.

Branwen will stay on her horse, riding as close as allows to the red eyed beasts without her mount getting spooked so she can keep an eye on the mortal souls of the others.
    Edwin chuckles lightly at Branwens words.

"I do not trust, in fact I am almost certain this is a trap. However I shall at least arrive comfortably rested."
    "Well, the furnishings are somewhat below the usual standards I'm used to, but I suppose it's better than being on horseback," Skie gripes as she climbs in.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    "Such hospitality from our host. I say we take the offer but stay vigilant at all times."
    Once everyone who is going to climb aboard is in, the door swings shut, and the horses take off. The smell of sulfur and brimstone gets stronger, and the coach is pulled down the road at a speed faster than you have ever seen from a pair of horses before.

After passing through the craggy peaks of the Balinoks, the road takes a sudden turn to the East and the startling presence of Ravenloft itself towers before you. The carriage comes to a stop just in front of twin guardhouses of turreted stone, broken from years of use and exposure. Beyond these, a 50 foot wide precipice gapes between the Balinok cliffs and the walls of Ravenloft, a chasm of dizzying depths that disappears into the fog-shrouded distance far below. The lowered drawbridge of old shorn-up wood beams hangs precariously between you and the entrance to the courtyard. The chains of the drawbridge creak in the wind, their rust-eaten iron straining with the weight. From atop the high strong walls, some gargoyles seem to stare at you from their hollow sockets and grin hideously. A rotting wooden portcullis, green with growth, hangs in the entry tunnel. Beyond this, the main doors of Ravenloft stand open. A rich, warm light spills from them into the courtyard. Torches flutter sadly in sconces on both sides of the open doors.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I'll go first. I'm the heavier here. If that drawbridge withstands my weight it'll be safe for you to go.

Ajantis starts walking toward the entrance praying to Helm for the safety of the others if he fails his duty.
    OOC I'm not a fan of heights. I'd be vomiting out the window of the carriage all over Strahd's shiny coach. Luckily, Aerie is more resilient, though I'd imagine she looks a little green.
    It's about 1500 feet straight down. The drawbrige creaks and groans under Ajantis, but manages to hold him up. The rest of you also make it across without incident. Thick, cold fog swirls around in the darkened courtyard. Sporadic flashes of lightning lance the angry clouds overhead. Thunder pounds the courtyard. A light drizzle begins to fall. Ahead, torch flames flutter in the wind on each side of the keep's open main doors. Warm light spills from those open doors into the courtyard. Doors in the gate towers on each side of the tunnel entrance are shut against the rain. A howling wind rushes through the courtyard. The dark towers of the keep loom above in the mists. Flickering lights shine from a short round tower on the south east side of the keep.
    Skie holds her nose for most of the carriage ride because of the sulphur.

"It smells like the horses ate a couple barrels of beans before the journey."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lroZLN1gQnw
    From where you are, there are three places you can go- through the double doors into the keep, and there is a metal gate on either side of the yard, one to the north, one to the south. The main entrance is to the east.
    Can we tell what's to the north or to the south?
    DM sez: And just an aside, the Roscoe P. Jangles the IV memorial necklace sold for $174.00 on Desert Bus. I am over the moon!
This discussion has been closed.