Skip to content

Roleplaying Challenge: Ravenloft

Comments

• DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    Edwin wraps his robes closer to his body for warmth, and nods to Alora.

"The first sensible advice to come from this misbegotten group."

Edwin closes his spellbook with a snap, having studied it as best he could in the firelight. He moves from the light into the shadows and closes his eyes.

"However I would advise we keep a watch through the night."
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Alora is pleased Edwin likes her plan. It really is a very good one because vampires sleep in the day so it will be easy-peasy to beat him.
  • Fighting_FerretFighting_Ferret Member Posts: 229
    However, Alora, vampires are very active at night...*placing several newly sharpened stakes into his pack* which is soon to be upon us. I will watch over your rest tonight, but I suggest that 2 to 3 others keep watch as well taking turns every few hours. I suggest:

Turn1: Skie, Branwen, Cernd
    Turn2: Keldorn, Edwin, Valygar
    Turn3: Aerie, Ajantis, Alora

I will meditate now until nightfall.
    Alora agrees to this plan. But before she goes to sleep she wraps herself in her Cloak of Elvenkind, which means she will be quite hard to find when her turn to watch comes. (She also takes the precaution of making her bed under a gypsy caravan so no one will tread on her in the night)
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643

(She also takes the precaution of making her bed under a gypsy caravan so no one will tread on her in the night)

Too bad for Alora, that's also where the gypsy horses that pull the caravan do their "business".
    Awong124 said:

(She also takes the precaution of making her bed under a gypsy caravan so no one will tread on her in the night)

Too bad for Alora, that's also where the gypsy horses that pull the caravan do their "business".
    Gypsy horses must have very short legs if they can get under a caravan?

Awong124 said:

Gypsy horses must have very short legs if they can get under a caravan?
    No, they just stand beside it and poo all around it.
  • jhart1018jhart1018 Member Posts: 909
    edited November 2012
    "It's a good plan, but let's go into this fight well-informed and toting the relic, if possible. I'd prefer to go up against a master undead as prepared as possible." Aerie yawns and settles in to sleep, agreeing to take a portion of the third watch.

Her revised divine spell list shall be: Sanctuary, Cure Light Wounds x 3, Command Word: Die x 2, Chant x 2, Slow Poison x 2, Aid, Cure Medium Wounds x 2, Holy Smite x 2, Protection from Evil 10 ft. radius, and Cure Serious Wounds.

Her arcane spell list shall be: Identify, Magic Missile x 3, Melf's Acid Arrow x 3, Flame Arrow x 2, Remove Magic, Stoneskin, and Improved Invisibility.

*edited to add a missing cure light wounds, with thanks to @FranticOrange and @mlnevese :)
    Post edited by jhart1018 on
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Lady Aerie is right we should not attack a master undead without information.
  • rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    first watch? hmph. No tea. No cookies. and now this. Tempus is not pleased! *grumbles as she takes up position to watch out for beasties*

When she does get the chance, she will pray for new spells:

bless, command word:die, cure light wounds, remove fear
    chant, flame blade, draw upon holy might, slow poison
    cure medium wounds (x2), holy smite
    negative plane protection (2)
    repulse undead
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    edited November 2012
    Valygar thinks that the second watch is the worst. Get waken up in the middle of a dream, then sleep for a few hours and get waken up again. Valygar is not pleased that he got assigned in the second shift. He will be very grumpy in the morning.

Valygar is dreaming about the low level challenge that he participated and defeated Melissan...whoever she is...
    Post edited by bbear on
  • FranticOrangeFranticOrange Member Posts: 2
    @jhart1018: I think you get bonus divine and arcane spells for having a high Wisdom and Intelligence... You should mention it to LadyRhian again.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited November 2012
    @jhart1018 you get bonus spells for wisdom but NOT intelligence. That only came with 3rd edition.

At 17 wisdow you get two 1st, two second and 1 3rd level spell bonus, at 18 you get a 4th level spell as well.
  • MyvalMyval Member Posts: 127
    Cernd nods, and prepars for the first watch. It is curious that there wasn't a fighter between the three of them, though he supposed the Priestess was a rather fierce warrior.

After his shift is over, he will pray for his new spells which are

Doom x2, Armor of Faith, Entangle, Cure Light Wounds, Bless
    Barkskin x2, Detect Traps, Flameblade x2, Slow Poison
    Call Lightning, Cure Disease, Hold Animal, Summon Insects
    Call Woodland Being, Cure Serious Wound, Neutralize Poison
    Insect Plague
  • Fighting_FerretFighting_Ferret Member Posts: 229
    edited November 2012
    OOC: Um I'm a warrior...and I'm on every shift. The only person I didn't assign was Iriana, because she isn't technically part of our group...and after her news I want her to sleep when/if she can. As an elf I don't have to sleep, and I have the best low light vision (aside from Aerie).

First shift has 2 dutiful divine casters to balance out Skie, who has good senses being a thief, but Kivan doesn't trust her to keep a good watch, due to her aristocratic bratty nature and sense of inflated self-worth.

Second shift got assigned due to Edwin being there... so I gave him Keldorn and Valygar, could you think of 2 better/worse people to join Edwin? While Kivan begrudgingly repsects Edwin's powers in service to the group, he doesn't trust Edwin.

Third shift has Aerie and Ajantis, who will both be very dutiful in protecting their sleeping friends and last but not least Alora, who is able to do the job well, but tends to get side tracked easily.
    Ooc: Edwin was close to complaining about your choices to watch with him, but thought better of it.
    "*Sigh* I suppose I'll climb up that tree and keep watch." Skie will hide in shadows and climb up a tall tree. Incidentally, she found a large tree limb that comfortably cradles her form, so she settles in. Then she dozes off shortly after.
  • EvinfuiltEvinfuilt Member Posts: 505

Second shift got assigned due to Edwin being there... so I gave him Keldorn and Valygar, could you think of 2 better/worse people to join Edwin? While Kivan begrudgingly repsects Edwin's powers in service to the group, he doesn't trust Edwin.

OOC: I'm just patiently waiting to see Edwin try and take Strahds place so that I maybe the one to send him to the deepest pits in the abyss.

IC: No one better to make sure the red wizard doesn't sell us out. I am honored to be chosen to watch him and over the rest of us. *grabs some wood and starts fashioning a few stakes, holding them up to Edwin to make sure the size is right*
  • MyvalMyval Member Posts: 127
    Cernd shrugs, at the rather obvious displays of hostility toward's the red wizard. He figures that the wizard, even given his enormous ego, would realize that he wouldn't survive alone here and wouldn't try to endanger them. The druid took up his watch, clutching the onyx dog figurine in case if anything where to happen.
    Edwin smirks at Keldorn.

"Hope knight that it does not come to that, you may find a wizard of Thay harder to kill than you bargain for, and if your prowess at battling wolves is anything to judge I have little to fear."
  • rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    edited November 2012
    Branwen watches the bratty thief snuggle her way up into the tree, scowling as she shortly hears EXTREMELY LOUD SNORING from the branches ;-). She sips her cooling tea she managed to cajole from the gypsies and settles into a state of restful alertness (Tempus-assigned special ability), confident that the elf and the serious druid will guard the perimeter of the camp well.

If nothing happens on her watch, she will wait until Valygar is in a heavy dream state and she hears him muttering and twitching, then take absolutely NO delight whatsoever, honest, in shaking him awake to take her place. All in her God's plan, truly.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    DM: Sorry, been feeling very bad. You eat a good meal and go to sleep. The next morning, you set out on the road again. During the day, the forest feels much less oppressive than at night. You feel much less like you are being watched... but not completely. The road veers away from the river and up into the mountains, becoming much harder going. You have to rest the horses several times as they labor up the roads, which are becoming much steeper.

Some time after noon, you cross over another bridge, this one over a thousand feel above the river. The air here is chill and bracing, and there is nowhere to stop and rest. Finally, as the sun is setting, you can see the castle in the distance. Your horses snort and rear, and you catch a whiff of Brimstone in the air.
    Blast and bother! My cunning plan has gone wrong. I wanted to arrive first thing in the morning so we could catch the nasty vampires napping.

Luckily we've got Edwin with us and I'm sure he will come up with a really clever new plan.
    It wasn't how far it was in total... it's up as well as distance traveled.
    Can we reach the castle before nightfall? I don't suppose there are any woodsmen's huts or cottages owned by aged crones we could camp out in?

OOC Sorry to hear you have been feeling bad LadyRhian. Hope you feel better soon.
    None you see, no.

DM Yeah, so do I. I HATE, HATE, HATE being sick.
    Dash and darn! It looks like we're going to arrive at the haunted castle right at the witching hour. So do we knock on the front door and wait for Igor to answer or should we look for a back way in? (which might be a bit pointless if we are being watched at night).

Alora finds herself feeling like she has walked into an Eddie Izzard routine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdW17hm_GII
    edited November 2012
    Edwin nods at Alora as she praises his wit. At least one of these simians understands his superiority.

"There is no reason to hide our arrival, I am certain this Strahd is well aware we are coming, and when. I would not be surprised if the gypsies were giving him said information, working both sides as it were. (They seemed more intelligent than this party of miscreants anyway.)"

He leans in toward Alora conspiratorially, his voice just above a whisper.

"Be certain to keep your eyes open and your mind alert. This vampire is sure to have items and scrolls that might benefit the group greatly."

OOC: Hope our DM is feeling better, lots of sleep and hot soup!
    Alora knew Edwin would come up with a brilliant plan.

Which is to walk up to the castle and knock on the door?
    Raises an eyebrow to Alora.

"I would not be altogether surprised to find the main entrance open in anticipation of our arrival."

Edwin smiles at his own intellect.

"You see beings such as this Strahd often have overly high opinions of themselves and their own power, leading them to become arrogant and overconfident. We shall use this to our advantage. He feels the chips are all in his favor, and so holds no fear of us, sees no chance at our success. I shall teach him the folly of underestimating a red wizard of Thay."

OOC: thus ends the post of irony.
This discussion has been closed.