Skip to content

What are Beamdog doing now? A purely speculative thread...

AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
Beamdog is going through some big changes recently.

Trent kindly put minds at ease by posting this...

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/807954/#Comment_807954

He left us an interesting snippet...

Beamdog are working on three, a big, middle and small in-scale, projects.

We know how Beamdog works. They will keep things under wraps until the time is ready to reveal snippets and then make everyone go wild with hype. We privileged forumites can only guess at what they are up to...

And that is what this thread is about! What do you think Beamdog are up to? What could be the BIG project... Be?

Comments

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Okay my thoughts... Please copy my format if you wish.

1. Big Project = Baldur's Gate Next

Yep. Baldur's Gate three if not in name... Possibly using the latest rule system... Trent has spoken about BG Next before... Perhaps this is it?

2. Middle Project = PST:EE

Never played this, but @Buttercheese put forward some interesting theories...

3. Small Project = Version 2.2 for Android and Ipad

Well... The latest patch has to go out to Android eventually...

I think my top slot could be fantasy... But I'm not sure what would go into the empty space...
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Going from Trent's post I think Ps:T EE may have been one of the things that got shelved because it was stretching them too much. So my confident guess is that the brand new 5/e D&D game is the big project, while porting and patching the three existing EEs are respectively the medium and small projects.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    I'd think the small project would be them working on bringing 2.0 to Icewind Dale EE. At least, I can hope. I really wanna play that game, but the 2.0 of BGEE brought about a lot of changes that makes it so much easier to play that I can't really do much with IWDEE...
  • Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    Big - New Game
    Medium - Mobile/Tablet version updates
    Small - Getting ready for 2.4

Oh, and the Top Secret huge future project that he didn't mention:
    Shhhhh!
    There is a top secret huge future project?!?

Have you a vague comment made by Beamdog top brass to give credence to such a claim?
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    edited September 2016
    I don't think they're planning to bring the current 2.x versions over to IWDEE/Tablets. 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3 came so soon after 2.0, they should be considered hotfixes. They've admitted that 2.0 wasn't in a good state, and while 2.3 is in a lot better state, they're still not entirely happy with it.

They probably want to have the games in a good quality state (2.4 or maybe 2.5), and then when they're content with it, bring that 2.4 or 2.5 version over to IWDEE and Tablets (in either order).

Getting ready for 2.4 would obviously be either the medium or the small project.

Creating an EE version for either IWD2 or PST feels like it would have to be the big project. It would be an entirely new release, which should be a major thing. So that leaves the question, do they want to focus on making their own stuff now, or do they want to follow the 'safe' route a little longer, and make EE versions for IWD2 and/or PST?
  • Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    Anduin said:

There is a top secret huge future project?!?

Have you a vague comment made by Beamdog top brass to give credence to such a claim?

No - I'm just going on the fact that you don't reveal ALL your cards until you need to.

Yes. Balduran's Boxers should have been implemented as in game item by now... What are they upto?
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    You don't bring David Gaider on board to simply port more games. The large project is clearly a new game, and hopefully new IP, although good relations with Wizards could mean a 5e D&D game.

For similar reasons, I suspect the Medium project will be another new game of some variety, but on a smaller scale. Something that can deliver value with the new process sooner, and hopefully drive some income - companies ultimately need income to survive!

I'm hoping the small project is ongoing patching to the BG series, so that one day, after the iOS and Android ports have shipped, and SoD is available for Android, they might finally get around to the final patch for the already released macOS version of the game, and submit it to the Apple App store so that I can finally play. However, I despair that SoD on the App store was one of the many side projects consigned to oblivion. My solace is that I get to play the 1.3 versions of both games indefinitely, which are pretty solid, and I get to keep my un-nerfed assassin (who am I only now beginning to play, after 15 years or so with the games...). I can look forward to a lifetime of ducking SoD spoilers though, waiting for the mythical day it comes to my store...
    Actually, after checking another thread, I'll speculate again.

Large is definitely a new IP lead by David Gaider.

Medium is hopefully patching and delivering the v2 game on remaining platforms.

Small is finally shipping the CE Box set of SoD to the customers that have already paid.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416

I'm hoping the small project is ongoing patching to the BG series, so that one day, after the iOS and Android ports have shipped, and SoD is available for Android, they might finally get around to the final patch for the already released macOS version of the game, and submit it to the Apple App store so that I can finally play.

I expect the opposite, to be honest. It's far more likely that they first patch up the game to a state where they're happy with it, and then port it over to Android/iOS, as well as IWDEE.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Plotting, scheming, and twirling their mustaches.
    Maybe munching different sized cookies...
    Giving praise to the Ferret Lord...
    Boiling Broccoli... Wait a minute... Are we derailing the thread here?!? Back on topic please.

@GreenWarlock that is pretty insightful. I forgot about the collectors edition. I just received an email update. It is near completion... Just not yet. I also predict that an update to the game will commence before they burn the game onto the CDs, to get rid of any last bugs. Then... And only THEN, will they port stuff to android, IWD etc...
    I expect the opposite, to be honest. It's far more likely that they first patch up the game to a state where they're happy with it, and then port it over to Android/iOS, as well as IWDEE.

The 'final patch' for the Mac App store is not a patch to the game - the mac version is already available. It is simply submitting the existing patch to the app store for review, which is troublesome enough that they want to defer it to handle iOS and macOS reviews at the same time. So in the meantime, although the game is fully functional on Mac and available from other app stores, we don't get it from the official Apple Mac store until after all the Android and iOS work is complete.
    As always, @God, your words are enlightening.
    We need to confirm this... So are you saying that the big, middle sized, and small projects actually refer to Bath towels, Hand towels and flannels?

An interesting hypothesis... But I'm not sure I believe in you @God
  • gugulug5000gugulug5000 Member Posts: 248
    Some possibilities that come to mind:

Potential Big Projects (with Gaider working on it):
    -Completely new game (seems most likely to me)
    -ID expansion akin to Dragonspear
    -BGII expansion akin to Dragonspear

Potential Medium Projects:
    -Planescape EE (most likely to me)
    -IDII EE

Potential Small Projects:
    -Making a small BGII DLC including Dragonspear characters (what I would like)
    -Ongoing patches to the current EE games, including bringing ID up to the 2.x version
    -Porting Dragonspear over to tablets/whatever
    ^
    So many questions... Such as is infinity +1 a number...
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150

Turnip Peddler kit

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Anduin said:

^
    So many questions... Such as is infinity +1 a number...

yes.
  • ZarugalZarugal Member Posts: 51
    Please not a new Baldur's Gate game, they've butchered it enough with SoD and their awful UIs.

Something original in the style of BG/IWD wouldn't be too bad though..
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    Zarugal said:

Like a Turnip Peddler simulator, with Jan Jansen as the protagonist's spiritual guide.
    God said:

Zarugal said:

Like a Turnip Peddler simulator, with Jan Jansen as the protagonist's spiritual guide.
    Filled to the brim with turnip-hatin' scum for you to kill.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Zarugal said:

Please not a new Baldur's Gate game, they've butchered it enough with SoD and their awful UIs.

Sorry to see you so disappointed.

The UIs will be upgraded eventually. If you have constructive feedback on what you would like to change in the existing UIs, if you have thoughts on how it could be better, please, comment in the special subforum - https://forums.beamdog.com/categories/ui-discussion-and-workshop, so that your ideas would be heard.