Skip to content

Elder Scrolls : The dumbing down

Comments

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    My big thing with Oblivion as I tried to enjoying the game was the world leveling with the character. I tried a bunch of different starts only to invariably reach a point where I couldn't progress and got slaughtered by the littlest things. To explain, I would always try to level up my spell casting abilities in town so that I was ready for 'Anything'. Then I would go out of town and every random encounter was bulked up so much that they would one hit kill me and my spells wouldn't even scratch them.

Later on I found that you could actually complete the game at level 2 if you wanted because even the end boss scaled with your character. 2nd level character = wimpy final guy. That soured the experience even more in my eyes. Yes, I know that there are MODS that fix (or at least modify) that. At the time I didn't want to bother and now, I just can't be bothered.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I remember grinding Conjuration to 100 in the streets of Chorrol with a custom Bound Dagger spell so I could summon Liches and Gloom Wraiths and Dremora Lords. Totally game-breaking.

I also remember grinding Smithing in Whiterun until I got a set of Daedric Armor that made Destruction spells free. I just killed everything with Impact-boosted Fireballs and Chain Lightning spells... including my wife, whom I didn't think would get hit by Chain Lightning. Grinding once again broke the difficulty and prompted me to re-start.

The Elder Scrolls' biggest problem is grinding. Each new game tries to stop it, but they have yet to stamp it out.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Bethesda just isn't very good at game design. Or scenario design. They do make nice maps though...
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    In Morrowind I made potions restoring millions of health/magicka per second for in-game years.

In Oblivion I made a suit of armor giving 100% Chameleon total, allowing me to be permanently invisible when worn.

In Skyrim I made a sword so ungodly powerful the game engine had to use scientific notation to display the damage.

Bethesda games are so easy to break :lol:
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    Skyrim needs a Fallout style survival mode.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Squire said:

Skyrim needs a Fallout style survival mode.

TES and Fallout needs a good writing and more protection mod.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    Kurona said:

In Morrowind I made potions restoring millions of health/magicka per second for in-game years.

In Oblivion I made a suit of armor giving 100% Chameleon total, allowing me to be permanently invisible when worn.

In Skyrim I made a sword so ungodly powerful the game engine had to use scientific notation to display the damage.

Bethesda games are so easy to break :lol:

Thats the thing though, you CHOOSE to break the game, I knew how to do all those things and i still never did them because I chose not to and then complain about it like people do. People love freedom in games and love to cry about the things that come with those freedoms.
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    Lol, I'm not complaining. On the contrary, I love being able to break a game to pieces if I feel like it. What does annoy me is when elements are removed on the grounds they're too easy to exploit (like Spellmaking) while implementing things as easy to break (Skyrim Smithing).
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    @Kurona
    I wasn't saying you were, but look around and people complained about it. Same thing with the shadow snake perk which basically allowed you to instakill 90% of the creatures in game if you chose to abuse it.

Yes spell making removal was something I wasn't happy about either, but spell making in TES was never that creative to begin with.
    What do you think of Daggerfall unity? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlxDoDvhPIo
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Recreating Daggerfall into the unity engine would be indeed interesting to see once a fully playable build is released. As they're currently at Daggerfall Unity 0.2 though, it will probably take them a good deal more time to reach that point. It was the same thing with OpenMW as well. For the time being, I had tracked this project and will wait for what its future holds.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    I actually finally started playing ESO this wknd, and I have to say, it's a great combination of Skyrim and, well basically any MMO you've ever played. But if you like the Elder Scrolls, it's a massive world in that universe (I'm pretty sure it's a prequel). The game seems to me to be 90% a solo Elder Scrolls Experience, with alot of MMO elements if you want them. Anyway, it's well worth the $10 it is on sale for on Steam this wknd, or even the Gold Edition which gives you 4/5 of the released DLC as well.
    I Wish Chris Avellone writes the Story of a TES game. A man Can dream.
    I feel like Bethesda's intent and motto when it comes to making games boils down to one thing: Make the game-world as big as possible, cramming in as many quests and hours of play-time as possible, so it simply dwarfs any similar efforts from other companies. This has been their MO since Daggerfall (indeed, Daggerfall was specifically sold on how big it was). They've never looked back from this. Imo, the only open-world game the size of a Bethesda game that has proven it can also make everything seem important, interesting and meaningful is The Witcher 3. And something tells me as time goes on we're going to realize just what an accomplishment that game is.
    I've always been interested to know what people think of Arena and Daggerfall. According to legend, they were essentially inspired by Ultima Underworld and a very obscure game called Legends of Valour (which I've actually sampled, and it's horrible). The idea certainly seems to have been to create an "Ultima Overworld", in a sense. I find both of them still pretty fun to play, if you can get past the repetitive nature of the procedural content. People complain about the combat in the later games, but it's positively dynamic compared to either of these games (I actually prefer the combat in Arena). That said, I'd be interested to know how many people who have tried them have actually ever escaped the starting dungeons (percentage-wise), and, especially in Arena's case, ever found Fang Lair, the first main dungeon.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I saw a speedrun of Daggerfall last AGDQ or SGDQ and it was absolutely absurd just how big the game world was. The speedrunner pointed out that you would actually need to use an in-game search function to find certain towns because there were so many locations on the map.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I've played Daggerfall and gotten out of the starting dungeon, but never finished it. It is a pretty great game, in it's own way. Lots of great ideas that I'm sad they did not advance further with the later games.

I've tried Arena, but never gotten out of the starting dungeon in that one. Besides, it's got a disappointing lack of Patrick Stewart.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I'm old enough to have played Arena when it first came out, and it set the pattern for every other Elder Scrolls game since. I always get out of the starting dungeon, but after spending around 20 hours wandering around the world I get bored and pick up some other game, never to go back.
    So which Is better? Morrowind or Never Winter Nights?

They are both good games, but I'd say Morrowind is the slight winner here, just because it's such a unique world. I would buy and play them both if I were you, but they are very different. The original campaign in Neverwinter Nights is really generic, but the expansions and the Premium modules (which either come with the GOG version or are free) are uniformly excellent. Morrowind is massive, a bit weird. It's a game to get lost in for over a month if you're so inclined.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    Kurona said:

That's actually one of the main reasons why I don't use such numeric statistics in an upcoming title of mine, and instead refer to somewhat different methods when determining who prevails in a duel. The way I see it, weapons are for wounding and killing rather than DPS calculation.
    And, as I'm writing this, I'm thinking that this might actually be the very first game of the genre in which the player's actions may literally cost the protagonist an arm and a leg :lol:
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072

Not really similar enough in scope to he comparable. Morrowind has the best setting though for sure.

The good news is that they should be so cheap by now you can buy both and find out for yourself :P
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    I like Morrowind better than the NWN OC but I've never played SotU or Hordes of the Underdark. It's my plan to play the expacs once I beat Morrowind actually lol
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    NWN is about fan made content not OC or DLC
    I know this is probably the wrong thread to ask, but what are some good fan made content for NWN? Preferably content compatible with the Consortium PRC stuff.
    Said I had an off-topic comment I'll do an on-topic comment lol
    So do you think for a TES:VI they'll bring attributes back or just keep it as Stamina/Health/Magic
    Vallmyr said:

So do you think for a TES:VI they'll bring attributes back or just keep it as Stamina/Health/Magic

Its Bethsda, i bet it Will follow the dumbing down trend.

Vallmyr said:

Its Bethsda, i bet it Will follow the dumbing down trend.
    I agree with you but I hope to the nine divines that they don't.
    edited November 2016
    Vallmyr said:

I know this is probably the wrong thread to ask, but what are some good fan made content for NWN? Preferably content compatible with the Consortium PRC stuff.

Darkness over Daggerford, which is as good as anything made officially for the game. Also Pirates of the Sword Coast. These are the only two really famous ones that aren't in the GOG pack (maybe Wyvern Crown of Cormyr as well??). They are "premium modules", not one of the official expansions, but at a certain point when the game was relevant, were sold by Bioware. Now they are easy enough to find with a Google search.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Thing with most of NwN's premium modules is that they can't be legally bought anymore. Not to mention the fact that their official servers died years ago, making them without online authentication unplayable. There are ways around these severe issues but... yeah, basically it's the end of the line for them. Of course, none of the premium modules are compatible with any kind of mods as well. Being encrypted and all. One can only hope that if there's ever an NwN:EE, it will come with all premium modules intact in a playable state. Unlike Neverwinter Nights Diamond Edition. >_>

But enough talk of that game. D&D has not exactly the greatest relevance to the TES franchise. Well, with the exception of Drow and Tiefling custom races for Skyrim and Oblivion. But that in itself is a different subject entirely. :p

Apropos races, are there any other races other than the ten base ones folks like to play as in TES? Personally, I'd love to see the slug-like Sloads making an appearance. Given their natural talents in Necromancy and great cities below the ocean waves.
This discussion has been closed.