Skip to content

Forum Meet-Up West-Europe?

ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
edited April 2017 in Off-Topic
I already opened up the idea on the activity page, but all the answers I got there where either "lol nope too far away" or jokes about Trump, which is of course totally encouraging you guys.

Anywho, given that the post started as a half-joke I guess I can't blame anyone really for not taking it seriously.
So here we go, the serious thread about a hypothetical forum meet-up in West-Europe.
Let's go step by step.

Date

There is of course no date yet, but either way I'd suggest doing this over a (long) weekend, usually arrival on friday and going home on sunday. This way at least there is one full day people can attend.

I would suggest either one of these towns:
- Cologne (I am of course totally biased, but there is a reason why all the big conventions are held there)
- London
- Paris
- Maybe Amsterdam or Brussels, but I don't know how stress free traveling there is via public transportation when coming from far away, compared to the first three.

I'd also be down for Munich, Bern, Prague, Berlin, Kopenhagen, Vienna and such, but from what I've seen on the forums so far I think the ones I mentioned above would make most sense. Though a more southern location would probably be more inviting for the folks from Italy.

Just to get this out of the way:
Locations that require you to own a car or take endless bus drives to get to are out of the question.

Lodging

Out of experience I can say that two options make sense:

1. Collectively staying at a Hostel for a weekend tends to work rather well.
They tend to offer large rooms where the guests can hang out and be rather affordable when it comes to beds.
Everyone/ most people staying there over night also means not having to worry about wrapping things up late at night, because everyone is sleeping at the same place anyway.

2. Someone who attends happens to have access to a location that can be used to host bigger groups.
Some people can crash there over night in sleeping bags, everyone who wants more comfort can rent into a nearby hotel or hostel.

Program

Forum meet-ups usually don't have any noteworthy program. Usually people just hang out, in the evening everyone goes out to dinner at a restaurant together and then there'll be partying back at the meeting room which usually involves consumation of large amounts of alcohol, but that is not a requirement of course :tongue:
I think it would fun to run some small sessions of D&D depending on how many people would attend.

People who stated their interest in the meet-up so far:

@Buttercheese @Skatan @RelSundan @abacus @Anduin
Please note that none of these count as actual commitment.
The meet-up is purely hypothetical at this point, there is no guarantee that this meet-up will actually happen.

Aight, that should sum things up for now.

Also, this should go without saying but I know you guys too well by now, for those of you who know for a fact that they can not attend because they live too far away/ can't afford the trip: Please don't flood this thread with complaining about how this meet-up should be happening at your place instead. I am not gonna go through the trouble of organising a meet-up that I myself can not attend to. If you wanna do a meet-up in your area please go make your own :tongue:

All atendees have to be 18 or older or come with an adult who's liable for them.
Post edited by Buttercheese on

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Hmm, it's not impossible to me. Although if it's going to be only Germans I won't bother as I don't speak the language adequately.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    No, the meet-up would be held in English.
    Otherwise I would just go to the next Kerzenburg Forum (the german BG forums) meet-up or made the post in german,
    in the german sub-forums :P
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Buttercheese I understand that your plan is to hold it in English. What I'm saying is if only Germans show up, probably you will be speaking German ;)
    For as long as someone is around who doesn't speak German, we will speak English.
    I am gonna go ahead and tag a few people who I think might be interested:
    @Troodon80 @Shandyr @Anduin @winters

If you know anyone who you think might be interested, feel free to tag them, too.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    My vote for the meeting location is Tórshavn, capital of the Faroe Islands. Totally not around my corner, but seems like a nice enough place for a short vacation. Ghaunadaur knows I could use one right now. :V
    Please only serious suggestions.
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Although geographical (and many realistic) barrier confines me to cannot participate that nice idea of @Buttercheese I like to hope this meeting is held successfully :)
    Good luck european forum adventurers :D

P.s. if it went well or not, i think this meeting arrangement skill and experience will serves you really right.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870

Please only serious suggestions.

I was, actually. :neutral:
    edited April 2017
    @Kamigoroshi Something tells me there are no trains or streets going to Faroe. And plane tickets go for about 500€,
    depending on where you are. I don't think that would be in anyone's budget.

I chose the towns mentioned above because they are central and easy to get to.
    And if you know what you are doing getting there is also very much affordable.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    mlnevese said:

I really hope you manage to do this... Managing an international meeting is never easy, even with countries so close as in Europe. I'd certainly like to read about it in the forum.

OR the community magazine (shameless plug - don't care).
    mlnevese said:

Managing an international meeting is never easy, even with countries so close as in Europe.

Not harder than organising an in-country meet-up.
    No border-controls and aside England (and Switzerland) all the countries I mentioned use the same money.
    International traveling is a non-issue here, for the most part.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @deltago The magazine could interview the attending forum members and in the forum we could have a more general description of what happened in the meeting and who attended.
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    Good luck to you all, it should be interesting to here about if it really lift off the ground
    Y'all are getting way ahead of yourselves, literally no one has stated their interest in actually attending so far.
    Not that I am suprised, of course. Still disapointing though.
    @Buttercheese Give it time and they will come :)
    edited April 2017
    And the Italian, Portuguese and Spanish users. There are quite a few in the forum.
  • RelSundanRelSundan Member Posts: 918
    edited April 2017
    This would be so fun to attend to, though I don't know if I can. Economically it is impossible for me, but after summer I would have a lot of money. Of course I don't expect you to wait for that, as there would still be no gauruntee. Also, I don't know what an 18 year would do around ya adults. :smile: Oh well.

London is probably the best idea, though.

Absolutely love your initiative @Buttercheese!
  • RelSundanRelSundan Member Posts: 918
    Sorry Buttercheese<3
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Late july I'll be in Rome , so if there's a mediterranean meet-up count me in :)
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Btw, I also summon my finnish neighbour @TStael.

*Skatan casts: Protection from Good*

*Skatan casts: Gate of Sisu*
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    If it ended up being London I wouldn't mind getting involved. Travel times vs commitments would probably KO me for other venues (much as I'd like to).
    edited April 2017
    Skatan said:

I know some of the people in here better than others and I will be honest and say that if not at least one or two of those people also want to attend, I will pass. No offense to anyone in here of course.

There is no shame in that, I feel the same.
    I am not gonna attend either if I don't know any of the hypothetical atendees beyond their names.
    In that case I'd rather save my money and go visit my forum friends directly.

I will go ahead and ad the names of those who stated their interest in a meeting to the start post.
    Post edited by Buttercheese on
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Being an American, I ain't all that thar good at Anglish neither, so I guess I cain't a-tent.

(Notice: This is a joke. And part of my family is from Appalachia, so I am mocking myself.)