Skip to content

The allure of evil...

I often find myself curious as to why so many players enjoy playing evilly aligned characters. I have tried this myself, thinking that I must be missing out on the fun, but I never get far.

I am heavily into role-playing my characters. I always try to let them make their own decisions. But when it comes to an evil character, my own sense of right and wrong always gets in the way.

Arguing with your character is not role-playing. :)

“What do you mean you’d rather keep that wedding ring for the few gold that it might bring you. Give it back to the poor woman. Perhaps it will help ease her suffering as she deals with the knowledge that her husband is truly dead.”

“Put that sword down! Yes I know that Noober is irritating. But he is just lonely. If you put up with his prattle a bit longer, he will go away.”

“You want to help Dorn do what at the wedding??”

Now I don’t mean to say that my characters are all law abiding do-gooders. Far from it. They often have their own motivations for doing all manner of inappropriate or evil acts. But truly embracing a consistently evil character is different.

I’d love to hear from other players about what motivates them to choose this type of character. Perhaps it will help motivate me to, “embrace the dark side,” in one of my own play-throughs. There is after all content that I never get to experience due to my limiting myself to certain alignments. :)

Comments

• DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    I can never bring myself to kill the silver dragon, nor give her eggs to the daemon.

Shame, because I really like the human flesh armor, it just feels so edgy.

Hmm... maybe you can pick pocket the blood from her? Gotta try when next I get there.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    TheElf said:

Stress relief and escapism as others have said is fun for me. There's also a certain satisfaction in playing a game "wrong". BG is very much a classically good RPG and finding little things off the beaten path that you'd normally not do and seeing the game still react appropriately can be fun. E.g seeing that you can simply pickpocket the gem off that poor gnome and when you come back from Adalon's Lair finding out that the Gnomes had a bad time with that demon. :D

You can?
    You have?
    What happens?

(better put it in a spoiler)

edited May 2017
    I've never played "evil", never even tried.

I suppose it comes down to lack of motivation. For instance, I would kill Elminster if I could which I think is evil, because he's annoying, basically I need a reason to justify it.

But as far as I can tell, there aren't so many rewards for being evil so it's all a bit meh. Doing evil for the sake of evil

However, I prefer the "evil" NPC and usually play true neutral and will kill a peasant/begger to keep the rep down.
    Again, there's a reason for it.
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Another question occurs to me, for those who would like the game to offer a more rewarding experience, when they choose to play an evil PC.

Suppose the game did offer more reward for evil actions. What types of reward would make the experience feel “rewarding” to you?

@Kamigoroshi mentioned a few possibilities. Would such things appeal to others as well?
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736

I often find myself curious as to why so many players enjoy playing evilly aligned characters. I have tried this myself, thinking that I must be missing out on the fun, but I never get far.

Depends on the writing. If it doesn't try to take itself seriously and doesn't pretend to be realistic and business-like, then it's very fun to play evil.
    The industry has definitely lost something there over the last couple of decades.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    When creating my evil characters I tend to give them two vices but one redeeming quality (as per the old Villains Handbook in p&p). This tends to round them out a little. So you might have a character who is a bully & gluttonous but who is kind to animals. Even my present no reload NG gallant pc is honest, heroic, and generous but quick tempered and sometimes misogynistic. I think it's easier to do bad things in character when you know your character has 'good intentions', or at least rational reasons.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    mlnevese said:

I particularly never completed an evil run... When I play a computer RPG I like to be the hero...

Likewise, it usually just doesn't feel right. But whenever I play Might & Magic 7 intending to take the path of light, by the time I reach the plot branch I'm usually out of righteous steam and sway to the dark side. Even now, started a party with only a paladin for clerical magic (hence light magic is strongly advisable to take), yet I feel it's not gonna end well this time too :D
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    mlnevese said:

Maybe if evil in games was more "Smart Evil" instead of "Mass Murderer Stupid Evil"...

But BG allows you to play either of those! It's pretty flexible.

I do sometimes wish the game would let the evilly aligned NPCs remain in parties that maintained high reputations.

But it does! Up to 18, which counts as "Heroic", just so long as you don't let REP reach 19 or 20.

I think mixed groups of all alignments would be so much fun. Just imagine the role-play possibilities!

Yes, it can be fun and a good role-play. Most of my parties are more like yours, Good or mixed Neutral/Good ... but my current run is an Evil protagonist leading a mixed Evil/Neutral/Good party. It's an interesting and refreshing change to see the story from an Evil perspective.

The downside, of course, is the need for careful REP management to keep the party together, which pretty much necessitates considerable meta-game knowledge.

It seems to me that an intelligent evil villain would find traveling in the company of those with a high reputation to be very advantageous.

Yes, undoubtedly, both in-game and even IRL. That's why it's called "smart Evil".

Some of the game's villains certainly use a "smart Evil" strategy. Sarevok, for example - until our protagonist exposes him, he is well thought of in BG City, as shown in various dialogues and in the fact that he wins the Ducal election.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I've played evil runs before, and its mostly because out of all the NPCs in both games, generally the evil ones are better ( whether it be better stats or better abilities )

but the thing is, when I play the BG series, I don't role play at all, I don't "get lost in the magic of the world" sort of thing, I don't relate to any of the characters, for me, its just the 1s and 0s that matter

that's why when I hear that people who don't like certain NPCs based on their attitudes puzzles me a bit, and I get a bit of a chuckle out of it, imaginary characters in an imaginary world having some impact on real people in a real world, actually now that I think of it, its kind of fascinating that 1s and 0s could have such an affect

but anyway, usually if I play evil teams, I will do the "genocide" runs I call them, where im just about to beat the final boss, but before I do, I slaughter the whole game world, to see if anyone was carrying and special items that I didn't know about, and ironically sometimes it was a rewarding experience to find things that I have never found before, usually I will do a run like this on each patch update to see what new items could be lurking in interesting areas

but other than that, I have no emotional attachment to the game world whatsoever, although usually I play good aligned runs for the convenience and for the gold piece runs I do in BG1 but a power gamer has to power game, and if I can do things that wont drop my reputation and get some gold for it, then I guess im getting some gold

this is probably the reason why I make my own parties about 80% of the time, since I don't play for the banters of NPCs and such, but every once in a while I will play the odd NPC team since they are significantly weaker than a premade team, and sometimes it's nice to "cripple" myself that way
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    I've personally never played a truly evil character before. Evil PCs sometimes, but never one without redeeming qualities. I enjoy characters on almost every part of the moral spectrum but I find myself repulsed by the truly evil while being unable to hate any good-aligned character regardless of their personal flaws.

Ironically I don't see myself as a particularly benign person despite the above, which is why I frequently end up with parties where the PC is the morally grey while everyone else are paragons of virtue.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    I simply can't do it; it's just not in me. I know it's just ones and zeroes. In know that, as Mystery Science Theatre 3000 said, "repeat to yourself 'it's just a show, I should really just relax'". But I cannot make certain evil choices in the game. I cannot help Silke kill the thieves, leave Imoen behind in Spellhold, etc.
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    DrakeICN said:

I can never bring myself to kill the silver dragon, nor give her eggs to the daemon.

Shame, because I really like the human flesh armor, it just feels so edgy.

Hmm... maybe you can pick pocket the blood from her? Gotta try when next I get there.

There is a mod helps you do it. She will give you the blood if you can assure her that you use it to prevent an evil creature to do more harm. https://baldurs-gate.eu/downloads.php?id=63
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    I see each person having various personality traits in RL that are each set along a straight line, with a middle neutral(to that type) . We each then have a range to one side or the other (say introvert vs extrovert on each endpoint. While we are set (sometimes our life experiences can change it a little) each person also has a range they can move, or play in, out from their set point and feel comfortable up to a point in. Once outside that personal range it gets tough. So it is that range that could be the problem part in playing the 'evil' concept. Nothing wrong in that whatsoever. Just means that the missing out would probably be more when forcing into a role that is NOT comfortable.

I see characters also in a light of a 'familiar' vs 'demon'. The familiar being us basically in RL. The demon being our opposite, whether it is 'good' or 'bad' doesn't matter so much as the desire to explore that part. I think often exploring that other side, whatever it may be, can be interesting and insightful to ourselves.

That's my take on the how we can get into something or not, as to the 'procedure' for it, well, that is often a little harder. First we have to be willing to 'let ' ourselves go there. Once there, from a roleplaying point of view I find it easier to get into.

I often get into to a character concept first, I have to like or be attracted to that to go further with the idea. Images for characters, music, deity and item concepts, etc. Then they just weaving themselves together to form an alignment, in this case often, not because of the 'evil' title, but hte evil desription, if that makes sense, just what happens to fit, so to say.

I find that death and the undead concept has always been something that I was curious about and have strong reactions to. So I say why not look into it in different ways, embracing and not fighting against, it's not like it is something that will not be faced with someday. Lost Druids, Palemasters, Dirgesingers, H/O clerics of Yurtrus, gnomish C/T's of Urdlen, etc. Each of these motivated in different ways.

For me, darker motif's always held an attraction, so I go with it. I can play the good, but it feels forced, like feeling forced or uncomfortable with play the evil. Possibly because the familiar in me is the 'stabilizer' the help people get along and understand one another type. That can be stressful, so the demon is easier to let come out and play a little, it actually relives the tension and is an outlet in role playing I find, making the other RL much less stressful.

I then start thinking about the characters motivation for that concept, with, it just seems to stem from that, and then often a deity concept that is alluring is added next. Then the ideas for different items in the game play into it strongly as many back up the whole idea.

So we take that dirgesinger mentioned above. I play him as motivated, starting out, as an individual that is more affected than some by never knowing his real parents, thinking he lost out on that experience forever and is hurt, can't get it out of his head.
    He is hit in CK by monks that remark that he plays his music as if he is already dead, mournful, sad, and depressed all the time. They start calling him the 'dead minstrel', but also find his songs at funerals to be so powerful and overwhelmingly emotional they cannot resist listening, as it plays to exactly how they feel in loss, at hat moment.

By the way, 'Amazing Grace' on the bagpipes ALWAYS pulls at me at funerals, maybe it's the Scottish side coming out in some way, hehheh.

He then, being in CK library starts to read about what might comfort loss and comes across Shar. Leaving CK he is hit AGAIN by loss, Gorion, a foster father. This leads him further to Shar by wanting to forget but can't. The more he delves into THAT, the more he decides that other people being sad often make him feel some less alone. So, growing bitter and selfish, this progresses to WANTING to make others sad, to hurt, to see them feel what he does cause he feels better(but NEVER enough) in return.

Then items come into play and I think 'Cool, that supports the whole concept even more'. In this instance we have a few items, like Varscona,the Sharran ritual sword. We have harps that cause confusion (depression, anxiety), we have bone hide vests now that feed into the strange atttraction to singing to the dead. We have Viconia, who in this instance is a teacher of sorts, as a Sharran priestess. We have Xan, who is depressed and feels doomed in such a way that he is almost a kindred spirit, regardless of his LN alignment(much more in depth with the Xan mod).

The same goes with spells, if it supports a concept more use them, if not, restrict them somewhat.
    Here, more cold, less fire, more confusion, blindness, deafness, enfeeblement, and feeblemind, less magic missile.

As to NPC's along the way, he might keep that ring form the widow to see her pain and sadness increase, he might keep the Colquette amulet to make him feel his sons loss even more (cause he HIMSELF gets satisfaction is a way). He hurts, so why shouldn't everyone else as well, he thinks. He feels life is hopeless, so others must to feel the futility of hope, he feels sad, so others must feel the pangs of sadness as well and, in so doing, draw more worshippers to Shar. More effective than handin out 'tracts', or rolling through town on a horse drawn cart strummin' out a tune to go with 'Bring out ya dead'.

He picks (headcanons) up gigs at Sharran 'Feasts of the Moon' rituals. He plays at (headcanons) funerals, not to make them feel better, but to selfishly make them feel the same unrelentless pain and sadness he does as well.

Long answer and just part of a description. As to the why, it's the chance to play out something opposite (I'm a vegan in RL, so the classes above dining on dread and vampire wolf steaks is an indulgence of sorts)

Just an example of how it plays out sometimes with me at least, and I pretty much have to role play to get the most enjoyment, but not everyone is like that of course, esp in computer gaming I think vs PnP.

I get into concepts and like to play out ideas to support that to the fullest, using everything the game or a mod can provide to back that up, the more there is, the easier it is, headcanon the rest. But if it don't feel right, why push it? It about having fun and being entertained, so go with what is the most fun and entertaining, forget the rest. :)B)
    Sometimes imagination just runs wild and comes up with new ideas each and every play through.

And yeah, I get into it, just a mite.

Anyway, been nice to mention it, not always so many in RL 'get it'. Was like that in the 80's, and still is now. Nice to have a forum's 'these days', in which many DO 'get it'.

Oh, and lawd, ifin ya read through all THAT :* , it's an extra 100 EXP.

;)
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    Looking back at many playthroughs of the whole saga (ever since the original game was released) I can say I played good and *so-called* evil characters and had about every NPC in my party one time or another. I played through most available choices without considering good or bad in the high moral sense.
    Still I never liked any stereotype good/bad considerations to guide me, much more taking into account what is *practible*. Razing a town and killing all inhabitants is just stupid - makes more sense to sell them my loot, rest in their inns and buy in their shops. Still I don't need to feed their beggars.
    If I want bloodshed, there is enough in the game. I'd rather kill everyone in the thieves guild than a village of Xvarts.
    I don't keep paladins in my party for long but neither did I keep Dorn for more than a day, those are far too black/white for my taste.
    I was the new god of murder at ToB end or the new Hope for the Realms. My evil character spared the life of an innocent just because it gave him satisfaction to show his power this way.
    @sarevok57

It being just the 1s and 0s is not so different from it being print in a book is it?
    Imaginary people in an imaginary world just about covers all fiction.

You are making a distinction about the delivery method of a story and then basing your opinion of whether it's relateable based on that.

Whereas it's just more likely you have played the game a lot. Far more than reading a particular book until it gets to the point where the story disappears and all you see is each individual word unrelated to any of the other words on the page.
    @DrakeICN and @PaulaMigrate

I don't even like having that flesh tunic thing in my pack.

I always think I ought to pick it up (evidence), then immediately run to the merchant just outside to sell it for 1 gp. And always wonder if this time he will say anything about it and I feel guilty about even handling it.

Which is very silly I agree, so I put it down to the little picture being unpleasant.
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    I had very entertaining and rewarding genocide run. It's fun because you don't have to care what dialogue option to pick. You don't have to care that doing *this* will lower your repution, or make NPC stop talking to you. You just kill anyone who stands in your way and God, how liberating it was. No more talking Marle down, no more trying to convince Tethyrians that you didn't destroy Saradush.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975

@sarevok57

It being just the 1s and 0s is not so different from it being print in a book is it?
    Imaginary people in an imaginary world just about covers all fiction.

You are making a distinction about the delivery method of a story and then basing your opinion of whether it's relateable based on that.

Whereas it's just more likely you have played the game a lot. Far more than reading a particular book until it gets to the point where the story disappears and all you see is each individual word unrelated to any of the other words on the page.

yeah, I had 1000s and 1000s of play throughs in the almost 20 years that I have been playing this game and I've become so numb to the story, and the reason why I keep coming back? its just a fun game to play, plus I like to see how strong my 1s and 0s can become when I hit 8 million XP :)