Skip to content

The allure of evil...

Comments

• OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    Mirandel said:

I often find myself curious as to why so many players enjoy playing evilly aligned characters. I have tried this myself, thinking that I must be missing out on the fun, but I never get far.

I am heavily into role-playing my characters. I always try to let them make their own decisions. But when it comes to an evil character, my own sense of right and wrong always gets in the way.

Arguing with your character is not role-playing. :)

“What do you mean you’d rather keep that wedding ring for the few gold that it might bring you. Give it back to the poor woman. Perhaps it will help ease her suffering as she deals with the knowledge that her husband is truly dead.”

“Put that sword down! Yes I know that Noober is irritating. But he is just lonely. If you put up with his prattle a bit longer, he will go away.”

“You want to help Dorn do what at the wedding??”

Now I don’t mean to say that my characters are all law abiding do-gooders. Far from it. They often have their own motivations for doing all manner of inappropriate or evil acts. But truly embracing a consistently evil character is different.

I’d love to hear from other players about what motivates them to choose this type of character. Perhaps it will help motivate me to, “embrace the dark side,” in one of my own play-throughs. There is after all content that I never get to experience due to my limiting myself to certain alignments. :)

Completely agree! Whenever people say something about "blowing steam of negativity" or "true RP of something they are not" - it is hard for me to believe it. Probably I take those game worlds too seriously and for me restoring piece and harmony is like making someone's life better, even if that "someone" a bunch of pixels on the screen. In RL if I feel miserable for any reason, I do not try to project my misery on others by hitting them or destroying their property. Seeing someone else broken would not help me a bit (and nobility or self-sacrifice has nothing to do with the feeling). While some world restored to it's glory or happy person (yes, pixels) thanking me for help can brighten to mood.

Why spread misery if there is a place where problems are solvable and you CAN solve them?
    If suffering in the game were portrayed more realistically I'd be totally unable to play evil. But as Baldur's Gate has, at least to me, a very cartoonish aspect, there's usually an abstract layer to my experience which allows me to play a role I'd be unable to IRL, or even in a game that portrayed harm and suffering on a visceral level. But, as I mentioned earlier, in recent years I've had runs where I found myself feeling sympathetic towards the game world. That was ratcheted up several notches when I discovered Wilson (I'm a sucker for animals, and my partner has made it worse by always asking me if I've 'rescued Wilson yet'). I'm not always in the mood for an evil run these days. So I totally understand people who can't tolerate playing evil. On the other hand, playing evil, when I'm in the mood for it, isn't a projection of my real-life frustrations or some real darkness inside me that I subconsciously wish I could unleash upon the world. It's just fun to role-play from a completely different perspective than my real life persona, in a world where there are no real consequences.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I have a tendency of giving my characters a "nobody loves me" feeling because Charname is an orphan who had been raised in a very strict place. Fortunately that can be applied to any alignment, so a LG has a strong sense of justice, NG does good without being attached to anything, CG giving more value to inviduals and less value to groups and laws, TN not giving a damn or just doing it for personal reasons... but I can't play real evil without feeling lots of remorse: remorse because I let Edwin kill Dynaheir, because I didn't rescue the boy in the abandoned lighthouse, because I killed Prism just for the money... in BG/BG2 it really makes me feel depressed.
    On the other hand, it's nice to have an evil character in the party who acts as the odd one out. Shar teel and her endless anger, viconia who needs to prove that she is stronger , xzar and montaron with their schemes... it's fun having them around, but when it comes to charnamenit's a totally different feeling for me.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Danacm said:

I had a blackguard in bgee, that i roleplay to made the pact after gorion died. It seems his only option to save himself from Armored Figure's attack. After that he starts to gather evil npc, because he beleive nobody sorry for them if they die. So his only goal is to stop the threat any cost for greater good :D I really dont know what should be his proper allignement.

@Danacm I actually find that quite interesting as I can imagine it as someone that might not see what they are doing as 'evil', just getting to the heart of what needs, in their eyes, to be done, and darn the torpedoes.
    A blackguard could fit with that quite easily I am thinking, ignoring some things with an eye to a larger personal issue or concern.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    (Eats the crumbs.)
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited June 2017
    I thought just mentioning evil and allure in the same sentence would be enough to summon @Anduin...
    Post edited by mlnevese on
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    @Anduin this, @Anduin that, I don't see any tags for the true evil on this forum!

Tagging @groundhogs.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    edited June 2017
    Nimran said:

@Anduin this, @Anduin that, I don't see any tags for the true evil on this forum!

Bringing up anything about gender?
    Nimran said:

Tagging @groundhogs.

Wha about tagging Android release dates?
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    So sayeth the wise @Anduin!

It all begins to come clearer...
    You have indeed given me much to ponder, O sagacious denizen of the Nine!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.