Skip to content

Baldur's Gate Logic

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Artona said:

ABSOLUTE immunity only protects against +5 weapons or lower.

On a side note: Protection Against Magical Weapons is the true absolute immunity because in context someone could stab you with Godsbane and you wouldn't even feel it.

It would take ancient artifact known as Normal Average Arrow to take you down, but who could've have access to something so scarce? ;)

It's fun to unleash fury of normal weapons on those smug mages, who think that they are invincible after casting PfMW.
    The trouble with this strategy is that enemy mages always cast both PfMW *and* Protection from Normal Missiles. It seems with the high intelligence and all, they've anticipated a few contingencies.

Also, normal weapons don't work on liches just because they're liches.

In my early days of playing, I used to carry around a lot of normal weapons all the time. (Swords and maces, not arrows.) Then I discovered that the Breach spell is way more reliable and fast. (Again, in the vanilla game. SCS mages also always have Spell Immunity:Abjuration and such, or so I've heard. Mage chess has never been one of my favorite aspects of BG2, so I don't use SCS.)
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I've actually seen only a handful of SCS mages use Protection from Normal Missiles alongside PFMW, even though it's a perfectly reasonable pre-buff. It's very common for BG1 mages in SCS, but BG2 mages seldom bother.

You could then use melee weapons, but Teleport Field could thwart that as well. A combination of Teleport Field, PFMW, Protection from Normal Missiles, Stoneskin, and some spell protections would make it nearly impossible to disrupt their opening spells.

Unless you're a Wizard Slayer, in which case a couple strikes with a nonmagical fly swatter would cripple the poor mage.
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    @BelgarathMTH - in my experience mages in BG2 tend to disregard PfNM and PfNW in general, even with SCS pre-buffs. That discovery make dread Mantle spells, because they force to use magics against their counter-measures, and this is always tedious process.
    However! Usually you are able to hit mage at least once before contingencies trigger, and it can work wonders with Blackguard (Poison Weapon) or rebalanced Wizard Slayer.
    But there are liches, who always force into war of attrition unless you manage to get them with Daystar, Mace of Disruption, or have access to Spellstrike.

Generally speaking, I prefer to exploit that magical oversight than relay on Breaches and other spells, when dealing with SCS mages.
    SCS mages usually use Improved Mantle in early BG2 before progressing to PFMW in the later stages of the game, until PFMW becomes nearly ubiquitous in ToB. Yuan-ti Mages use PFMW and the lesser Mantle spell, while Mekrath and a very small number of low-level mages use Protection from Normal Weapons.

It's much more optimal this way, because SCS also buffs Mantle and Improved Mantle so that only +4 and +5 weapons can bypass them, respectively, which means you have almost no means of bypassing weapon immunities until very late in the game: the only +5 weapons that are available before Chapter 6 or without fighting really dangerous enemies like Firkraag or the Twisted Rune are the darts from the Cloak of Stars.
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    Thanks for Page 27 folks!

Edwin Logic:

Has low wisdom

Still solves the Spectator problem for you in the City of Caverns.

And that my friends is just one of the many reasons I love Edwin so much (even though I haven't had him as a party member in years)
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    this one isn't baldur's gate, but still from the same era kind of from Storm of Zehir:

hey i want you to join my group

okay, but it will cost you money

okay... here you go....

excellent i will join ( joins group )

so what happened with that money i gave you?
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    This one is from another game written by Bioware:

Dragon Age Awakenings, when the Warden frees Stephan in the old Dwarven thaig Kal'Hirol, that got overrun by darkspawn, who captured Stephan and put him in a cage:

Stefan: "I sneaked in past the darkspawn to see if there's any treasure"

Sigrun; "You thief, what you have belongs to the dwarven people"

meanwhile Sigrun doesn't raise any objection when the party of the Warden with her in it loots all the chests in Kal'Hirol
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    In his defense, the gates are closed so aldeth cannot get into baldurs gate. He could travel to some smaller hovel like Beregost or the Friendly Arm Inn but will he find the kind of help he needs... At this point he is just protecting his lodge and you happen to walk by.
    Pantalion said:

Assassin Logic: Sarevok is offering 680 GP to kill an adventurer and his adventuring party!

Time taken by CHARNAME's party to accumulate 680 GP with no risk whatsoever at level 1: Less than one day.

sometimes i leave candlekeep with over 1500 hahaha
    @sarevok57
    How?

Shade Lord Logic:
    Party curbstomps Dragon
    Party: Your reign ends here
    Shade Lord: ...
    Party: ....
    Shade Lord: Bravado, of course.
    @Raduziel
    Wow you're right I completely forgot about those.
    ah, good ol' gold piece runs, i usually have over 20 000 the time i hit nashkiel mines at level 1 :) (and that is without selling the ring of wizardry )

speaking about inventory.....

can somehow hold SIXTEEN ankheg shells in back pack,
    but not SEVENTEEN daggers,
    and 700 000 gold pieces, ah no sweat, just keep that in the back pocket ya know?
    hahhahhaahh, as soon as i saw the batman in the link i so saw that one coming :)
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited January 2018
    sarevok57 said:

ah, good ol' gold piece runs, i usually have over 20 000 the time i hit nashkiel mines at level 1 :) (and that is without selling the ring of wizardry )

speaking about inventory.....

can somehow hold SIXTEEN ankheg shells in back pack,
    but not SEVENTEEN daggers,
    and 700 000 gold pieces, ah no sweat, just keep that in the back pocket ya know?
    You can hold all that and more if you just use your 'Ferret of Holding'. You can hold your ferret in your backpack while IT'S holding 16 ankheg shells! Ferrets must have some kind of extra-dimensional pouch...
    There's actually a mod that makes ankheg shells stackable. If you combine that with the quick loot feature, you can drop all the shells and then collect them at a distance, allowing even a solo character with low Strength to carry them from the farm to Beregost.

But then, there's also a mod that adds a Bag of Holding to Thalantyr's store.
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    I'd rather try my luck than carry 700.000 gold pieces with me! :P
    I don't know about my other charnames but there is no way that Zaram would have the patience to invest in something as complicated and time consuming as Bitcoin

Sorviz Narro (CE Elven Necromancer I've created but haven't played yet who is hellbent on total annihilation) on the other hand......
  • Raduziel said:

Artona said:

I'd rather try my luck than carry 700.000 gold pieces with me! :P

Actually, Charname has a Bitcoin account.
    Or a Purse of Holding.