Skip to content

Baldur's Gate Logic

Comments

• shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    Ahh, yup... that makes sense. It doesn't explain why all the others just stand around waiting for the party (" I-love-parties"). But Minsc is forgiven. Boo on, the other hand, will never be forgiven for not talking to me. That's just rude.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Bioware did a LOT of "adapting," some good, some not so much.
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @Raduziel
    That's fair, but in terms of BG that joke about Minsc not being able to track till holds.

On a side note, we've reached page 50 folks! That's quite the achievement and just in time to make me feel a lot better while I'm filing my taxes (yes I know it's the last day I'm very lazy).

In Celebration, I shall (hopefully) breathe new life into this thread with the following logic flaw:

So Skie's soul is trapped in the Soultaker Dagger, right? Well let's just say for the sake of plot convenience that either
    1. Irenicus was able to fix the broken dagger after the Cult of Aec'Lectec was done with it or
    2. Tales of the Sword Coast isn't canon (Which the existence of Dradeel and the Dagger itself both contradict) and therefore the dagger was never broken in the first place.

If one of those is true, how did Irenicus get this hands on the dagger?

In any case I would love for this to be a story.

I still hold to my opinion that BG3: Soultaker with a different charname and a plotline tied to the Soultaker Dagger would be a a really great game.

Imagine the location is discovered, Grand Duke Silvershield hires a band of mercenaries to go searching for it and they encounter trouble along the way. We could even have returning characters from the series and just so we don't open the "Which ending to TOB is canon" can of worms just have the game take place at around the same time as the events of BG2 or just make the fate of Gorion's Ward vague.
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    I always loved the logic of Tirdir being kidnapped and buried alive by hemophobic psychopaths, and when he's rescued from this grisly fate, his first reaction is to go "Ooooh.... .... hellooo......?"

Though I guess I'd also be a bit dazed under those circumstances.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Chronicler wrote: »
    Also kind of how early edition cleric weapon restrictions work.

Clerics have taken an oath against shedding blood. So instead they just bash your skull in with a mace or a hammer. Their gods strangely seem okay with this hyper-literal interpretation of their vows.

IIRC, this is based on a RL Papal instruction.

I'll tag @CharlestonianTemplar because he will probably be able to tell if it is true and give a proper explanation if it is.
  • CharlestonianTemplarCharlestonianTemplar Member Posts: 855
    edited April 2019
    Raduziel wrote: »
    Chronicler wrote: »
    Also kind of how early edition cleric weapon restrictions work.

Clerics have taken an oath against shedding blood. So instead they just bash your skull in with a mace or a hammer. Their gods strangely seem okay with this hyper-literal interpretation of their vows.

IIRC, this is based on a RL Papal instruction.

I'll tag @CharlestonianTemplar because he will probably be able to tell if it is true and give a proper explanation if it is.

Good morning.

The model I use for the Cleric is Bishop Henry Despenser who was given his post by papal decree and not by the regular rules of Episcopal appointment. Despenser served King Richard II of England. Despenser was a bad ass for a cleric. From Dan Jones book, Summer of Blood: England's First Revolution,

"Bishop Despenser, Bishop of Norwich, was... a man of piety and action... a landed aristocrat, a man of the established church, and a staunch ally of the king and Christ. He was a typical member of the lusty class of Edwardian Knights, a wealthy young man who spent his formative years earning his spurs in battle."

"...the Petersburg rebels had not anticipated the arrival of a vigorous Bishop carrying a large, heavy, double-edged sword."

Technically, I guess Despenser would be a Fighter-Cleric since his appointment as a bishop came after he was already a knight, so in that case he would be able to use a sword in D&D.

That said, for my part, I am a traditionalist of 1st Edition AD&D where the restrictions against bladed weapons is clear and I have no issue dealing with that in order to stay true to the rules.

Luckily, @Raduziel has a kit for Tyr that DOES allow sword use because of the nature of that deity and the fact that his sword is a +5 Vorpal Longsword (wish that came with the kit: :) If you have not modded Deities of Faerun into your game, I would highly recommend it @Chronicler

Have a good day y'all. CT
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    That's one thing I like about 3.5e, a cleric of a deity with the war domain(and who chooses that domain), gains proficiency with the deity's preferred weapon. It never made sense to me that NO cleric could use bladed weapons. I mean, why wouldn't a cleric wish to emulate their god?
    shabadoo wrote: »
    That's one thing I like about 3.5e, a cleric of a deity with the war domain(and who chooses that domain), gains proficiency with the deity's preferred weapon. It never made sense to me that NO cleric could use bladed weapons. I mean, why wouldn't a cleric wish to emulate their god?

Well, a lot of deities in 2nd Edition allows more weapons than only blunt ones. Some even forbids them.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I've always wanted to play a dwarf cleric of Abbathor and, IIRC, his preferred weapon is the axe. The whole "clerics can only use blunt weapons" is such a precipitant rule it's impossible to defend in retrospect, even if it had merit at its creation.
    Skatan wrote: »
    I've always wanted to play a dwarf cleric of Abbathor and, IIRC, his preferred weapon is the axe. The whole "clerics can only use blunt weapons" is such a precipitant rule it's impossible to defend in retrospect, even if it had merit at its creation.

Soon you'll be able to.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    The Cleric restrictions are a 1st/2nd edition thing.

In 3.x, Clerics are proficient with simple weapons on default, and clerics with the War domain also gain proficiency with their Deity's favored weapon. They can use other weapons, but receive a -4 nonproficiency penalty. They can become proficient with other weapons through racial abilities, feats or multiclassing.

Pathfinder is very similar, except that all clerics are proficient with their deity's favored weapon, not just those with the War domain.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Raduziel wrote: »
    Tracking as an HLA is absurd and only happens in BG2.

IWD fixes that and gives Tracking to Rangers at level 1, following PnP rules.

It is not AD&D's fault that BioWare was too lazy to read the Player's Handbook.

The original BG had to make compromises to 1) get to the point where they could ship, and 2) fit the whole thing on 5 CDs. At the time, 5 CDs held more data than a lot of hard drives that came standard on a lot of PC models.

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Wooden stick: deals 1d6 damage
    Actual dagger made of steel: deals 1d4 damage

Giant two-handed sword: deals 1d10 damage
    Some doppelganger's claws: deals 1d12 damage
    edited April 2019
    Well, I've been stabbed once and striked with something that resembles a quarterstaff more than one time and I can say that those damage makes sense.

Edit: unless there is some big difference between a nowadays knife and a medieval dagger.
    @Raduziel: Medieval daggers would be larger than a modern kitchen knife, but not necessarily enough to make a true difference in your experience.

May I ask what happened to you? I don't mean to pry if it's a personal question; I was just curious.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    Can't imagine how that was like. Thanks for sharing your experiences Raduziel.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    Blunt will mess you up certainly, though I can't claim to have your personal experience with it.

Still a little weird that a warhammer deals less damage than a staff imo.
    @Chronicler: Warhammers actually deal the same damage as staffs on average. They deal 1d4+1 compared to 1d6, and both average out to 3.5. What's weird is that they don't deal as much damage as maces (1d6+1), flails (also 1d6+1), or morningstars (2d4).
    semiticgod wrote: »
    @Chronicler: Warhammers actually deal the same damage as staffs on average. They deal 1d4+1 compared to 1d6, and both average out to 3.5. What's weird is that they don't deal as much damage as maces (1d6+1), flails (also 1d6+1), or morningstars (2d4).

Unless I get in touch with some past life, can't say I know the difference between them.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited April 2019
    semiticgod wrote: »

My favourite weapon in my first D&D campaign was the morning star. For some reason I rolled a 3 + 4 more often than any other roll of the dice for it.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Don't underestimate staves. You can whip a lot of force into a strike with relatively small motions. A good strong thrust can put you down real quick too. That's a lot of force on a small point.