Skip to content

Exploits, Tricks, and Nonstandard Tactics

Comments

• histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,441
    @sarevok57 Yeah portrait showed 1/1 hp, but when I died it changed to 0/2.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    histamiini wrote: »
    @sarevok57 Yeah portrait showed 1/1 hp, but when I died it changed to 0/2.

are you level 1? do you have screen shots?
    @sarevok57 Yeah level 1.

hlnzt07ptxi6.png
    7hma22nbvdl7.png
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited August 2019
    kjeron wrote: »
    @sarevok57 You still die if you take exactly 1 damage, so Insane/LoB difficulty does help, otherwise:
    1/X Poison = Death
    Normal Arrows + Normal Bow = 16.6% Death on hit
    Normal Bolt + Normal XBow = 12.5% Death on hit
    You can still easily avoid all incoming melee damage by equipping a ranged weapon or going unarmed, due to the +4 damage it causes you to take.

Good reason to avoid those nasty kobold archers in the Nashkell Mines. Who knew they were so deadly? 1 out of 6 chance of an Insta-kill with 2 apr? Pretty much instant death against solo exploiters...
  • Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    I don't expect it will help much against saving throw deaths either. Funny though.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @kjeron: Does that mean any level 1 character with 1 HP on Insane or LoB mode will be invincible as long as bonus damage is enabled and it doesn't get any funny resistance values that happen to cause 1 damage (like taking 10 base fire damage with 90% fire resistance)? The only things that could kill it would be instant death effects and stat drain?
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    semiticgod wrote: »
    @kjeron: Does that mean any level 1 character with 1 HP on Insane or LoB mode will be invincible as long as bonus damage is enabled and it doesn't get any funny resistance values that happen to cause 1 damage (like taking 10 base fire damage with 90% fire resistance)? The only things that could kill it would be instant death effects and stat drain?
    I don't think resistances would cause you problems either, since difficulty multiplier gets added in after that gets rounded up:
    1 damage vs 99% resistance on Insane still results in 2 damage.
    IIRC the new "save for half" mechanic modifies damage after this no-one-shot mechanic checks damage, so it shouldn't interfere either.
    @kjeron: What about simultaneous hits? Would an Ice Arrow kill such a character, or would both the missile damage and cold damage get reduced to zero?
    hmm on my play through im playing on insane difficulty and NOTHING can damage me, whether its poison, physical damage, elemental damage, nothing

@histamiini try cranking your game difficulty to insane and see if you can take damage

because for me, my level 1 wizard has been tanking the world taking 0 damage from everything, but again, this is on insane difficulty, so perhaps the difficulty plays a part in this?
    edited August 2019
    @sarevok57 That was on LoB, tried insane, with both mage and sorcerer and none work for me.
    edited August 2019
    i made a video to show exactly what is going on in my game

note: the reason why i died at the end is because i used crtl+y so apparently that still kills ya haha

PS: dont mind the youtube name, i was much younger when i made this account haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXtYZByHpn8&feature=youtu.be

holy jumpins that was kind of a pain, i had to upload this vid to youtube because i didn't know you couldn't upload vids to the forums, and plus the file size was around 230 MB oi

@sarevok57 I did exactly the same except I took Lawful Good and maxed all other abilities other than Con. Do you have mods installed? I've only SCS and Ascension.
    @sarevok57 I did exactly the same except I took Lawful Good and maxed all other abilities other than Con. Do you have mods installed? I've only SCS and Ascension.

no mods installed, perhaps SCS and ascension has somehow disabled it, and here i thought it was hard coded?

on my actual file i think my guy is..... lawful good as well and has maxed out all ability scores except for dex and con, so i dont think its the alignment and ability scores doing it

i want to say your mods are the culprit
    edited August 2019
    @sarevok57 Yeah I tried the exact same settings so mods must be culprit, possibly SCS somehow disables it.
    edited August 2019
    Btw you don't have to be a human for that exploit, as you can kill Familiar for con penalty. Level 1 Elf Sorcerer could cast and kill 3 Familiars and equip Claw of Kazgaroth to 1 con.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    Btw you don't have to be a human for that exploit, as you can kill Familiar for con penalty. Level 1 Elf Sorcerer could cast and kill 3 Familiars and equip Claw of Kazgaroth to 1 con.

@histamiini how are you avoiding the magic damage from the dead familiar killing you?
    Grond0 wrote: »

@histamiini how are you avoiding the magic damage from the dead familiar killing you?
    Couple zips from Potions of Magic Shielding. :)

Couple zips from Potions of Magic Shielding. :)

That seemed the only way to me, but where do you get those from so early in the game?
    @Grond0 Hmm yeah that's a problem. Looking it up earliest might be in Cloakwood Mines Barracks. That would be enough as Red potion also gives 50 MDR which you get very early.
    @Grond0 Hmm yeah that's a problem. Looking it up earliest might be in Cloakwood Mines Barracks. That would be enough as Red potion also gives 50 MDR which you get very early.

True, though getting that far through the game with a sub-standard elf might be more hassle than just accepting the use of the Claw ;).

True, though getting that far through the game with a sub-standard elf might be more hassle than just accepting the use of the Claw ;).
    That's still pretty early, I think you only need Sandthief ring, Algernon's cloak, Shield amulet, Potion of Absorption and possibly couple Invisibility potions to not get damage to that point.
    Found which part of SCS is preventing the 1 hp exploit working. It's the No Difficulty Based Damage Changes option, if it's selected the exploit doesn't work. Unselecting it Elf Sorcerer can actually cast and kill Familiar, and rest five times to get 1 con, even without any MDR protection.
    Found which part of SCS is preventing the 1 hp exploit working. It's the No Difficulty Based Damage Changes option, if it's selected the exploit doesn't work. Unselecting it Elf Sorcerer can actually cast and kill Familiar, and rest five times to get 1 con, even without any MDR protection.

That's part of the core game rather than SCS. The reason it makes a difference is that if you're playing with double damage you never receive exactly 1 damage. In theory that should not affect this exploit, but there's currently a bug with the level 1 protection that means if you receive exactly the same amount of damage as your total HPs it will kill you - hence if you have 1 HP then damage of 1 HP will kill you, but damage of any amount more than 1 HP will not. Beamdog are aware of that bug and I would have thought it should be easy to fix, so might be rectified for the next update. In the meantime using double damage as standard in LoB should provide a workaround.
    edited August 2019
    @Grond0 Yeah. Why the option affects with SCS, is because I think it assumes it's selected and does it own changes to damage. The option selected any amount damage will kill you in SCS. I think I can squeeze a poverty Elf Sorcerer in before any changes are made. :D
    @Grond0 Yeah. Why the option affects with SCS, is because I think it assumes it's selected and does it own changes to damage. The option selected any amount damage will kill you in SCS. I think I can squeeze a poverty Elf Sorcerer in before any changes are made. :D

Won't this sort of poverty run be impossible? Can't use potions to survive if familiar is killed, so no way to get constitution down. In any case, how would you kill Belhifet without any use of items (or even survive the attack on the crusader camp)?

Won't this sort of poverty run be impossible? Can't use potions to survive if familiar is killed, so no way to get constitution down. In any case, how would you kill Belhifet without any use of items (or even survive the attack on the crusader camp)?

Yeah, soon after starting I realized I can't kill Bel without scrolls or weapons. The con reduction still works, if you rest after every Familiar kill, even without getting any MDR.

@jessejmc: I've added that to the Reform Party trick and added you as co-author.

I can't remember--does anyone happen to know who discovered that kicking someone out of the party removes their fatigue? I think it was me, but I don't know for sure and I have too many posts to find the original comment.