Skip to content

News about the 2.5 patch

Comments

• ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Since this seems to be ongoing for a while longer, any chance of the Beta version being updated in the meantime, so we can actively help test if the newer versions fix the issues that we had?
    AstroBryGuylefreut
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    While we are getting a few sneak peeks into the process... :)

Has there been a chance to run the code through tools like the various sanitizers that are part of the LLVM/Clang toolset, or is the code too old and crufty for a modern compiler that is stricter about the language standards?
    JuliusBorisov
  • Snowy2Snowy2 Member Posts: 7
    edited February 2018

Thels said:

Since this seems to be ongoing for a while longer, any chance of the Beta version being updated in the meantime, so we can actively help test if the newer versions fix the issues that we had?

http://blog.beamdog.com/2018/02/february-9-livestream-recap.html - there's an update on the beta, besides other things.

"The 2.5 open beta for Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition, Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition and Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition is getting a continuation, this time with additional languages. BG:EE will get Hungarian, while BGII:EE will receive Polish, original Polish VO, Russian, original Italian VO, and original German VO. Other languages may be added to the 2.5 open beta, so stay tuned"
    Julius, one question. For people like me who wants to play with English VO and text in his language like now, with these new VOs, can we choose?

Edit: Maybe change dialog.tlk from folders could work?

Thanks!
    Post edited by Snowy2 on
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437

Thels said:

http://blog.beamdog.com/2018/02/february-9-livestream-recap.html - there's an update on the beta, besides other things.

"The 2.5 open beta for Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition, Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition and Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition is getting a continuation, this time with additional languages. BG:EE will get Hungarian, while BGII:EE will receive Polish, original Polish VO, Russian, original Italian VO, and original German VO. Other languages may be added to the 2.5 open beta, so stay tuned"
    Any idea how soon the beta update is dropping?
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    Will the new beta just include languages / voice overs, or all the other fixes done since the last one as well?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    Again, I will know better next week. But I'd suppose that yes, not only localizations will be a part of this new beta build, but also fixes and features included after 2.5.10. I can explain this opinion by the fact all dialogue lines are in-game strings, and in order to have them they have to be present in the build. It would be natural to see them present in the latest build, not the one from 1-2 months ago.
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    Will all restored voice-overs be included in a single setup? Indeed this would increase the download time.
  • LuisProLuisPro Member Posts: 5
    @JuliusBorisov
    Hello JuliusBorisov, can i ask why things are not going this way:
    bug > fix > steam update
    Why gathering a lot bug fixes in one patch? Its not good to push mini update every one fix/addon?
    lefreut
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286

Bugs and features often push one another. Different fixes are connected to each other, while there are also unexpected consequences of this or that tweak.

I also assume that because of the underlying ancient engine, it is far from easy to push hotfixes out. The chance of breaking stuff is probably a lot bigger than under newer engines. Therefore, unfortunately, we have to wait for big patches to hit once in a while. Is my guess.

JuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehrThacoBellmlnevese
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    edited February 2018

I also assume that because of the underlying ancient engine, it is far from easy to push hotfixes out. The chance of breaking stuff is probably a lot bigger than under newer engines. Therefore, unfortunately, we have to wait for big patches to hit once in a while. Is my guess.

They rewrote a lot of things in the engine. I hope that in the process, they clean the design so that they don't break everything everytime they made a tiny change :)
    StummvonBordwehrGarvin77Proont
  • ParysParys Member Posts: 205
    @JuliusBorisov
    Any chance to fix #20702 (Clicking the Staff of the Magi should make the character invisible) bug in the upcoming patch?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    Parys said:

@JuliusBorisov
    Any chance to fix #20702 (Clicking the Staff of the Magi should make the character invisible) bug in the upcoming patch?

Currently under triage.
  • fortysevenfortyseven Member Posts: 96
    Does anyone know if the limitations in assigning different keys to spells for wizard and priest spells have been resolved? I have not been involved in the beta and have not read anything on the forum about this. In the original you had much more options to assign keys by combining letters with shift effectvily doubling the amount of customised bindings. Also the spell list for keybindings has been woefully incomplete in BG1&2 in EE. Has anything been done about this? Thanks!
    Are We There Yet?
    Are We There Yet?
    Are We There Yet?

:p
    SkatanLoldrup
  • LuisProLuisPro Member Posts: 5
    i guess devs focus more on NW:EE and push 2.5 patch on second plan ;s
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    LuisPro said:

i guess devs focus more on NW:EE and push 2.5 patch on second plan ;s

two different teams are working on the two games in parallel so efforts on nwn are not to the detriment of 2.5. There's still a lot of bugfixing to do so it takes some time.
    ronaldoThacoBell
    Yes, don't worry about it. The beta updates will start rolling out very soon. The teams working on NWN:EE and IE EEs (+SoD) are different.
    edited March 2018
    So, 2.5 Siege will be released on tablets next week and the second part of 2.5 beta for PC is still not here. Sometimes I really don't understand Beamdog :p

Either 2.5 is ready (hence the release on tablet), in that case why not a global release ? (for multiplayer compatibility).
    Or 2.5 is not ready (hence the second beta), in that case it's strange to release an unfinished product on tablets.
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    edited March 2018
    lefreut said:

So, 2.5 Siege will be released on tablets next week and the second part of 2.5 beta for PC is still not here. Sometimes I really don't understand Beamdog :p

Either 2.5 is ready (hence the release on tablet), in that case why not a global release ? (for multiplayer compatibility).
    Or 2.5 is not ready (hence the second beta), in that case it's strange to release an unfinished product on tablets.

Phil said the second part of 2.5 beta for PC requires WEEKS because they want to restore as many vanilla voice overs as possible thereby they will be tested all together by players before the official release.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Yeah, but that still makes no sense in that SoD is coming to Tablets on the 8th of March, when it barely has any proper testing. I agree with lefreut here.

Does anyone know if the limitations in assigning different keys to spells for wizard and priest spells have been resolved? I have not been involved in the beta and have not read anything on the forum about this. In the original you had much more options to assign keys by combining letters with shift effectvily doubling the amount of customised bindings. Also the spell list for keybindings has been woefully incomplete in BG1&2 in EE. Has anything been done about this? Thanks!

Going by the lack of response I assume the answer is not known or the issue is not directly addressed in this patch. I have tried to wade through the redmine bug report page and haven't seen an entry for this, although I know it has been reported in the past. Could that possibly mean it has been acted upon in some way?
    @fortyseven I think not many people use keybindings, this is the reason you don't get responses. Also, your question seems to be a very wide one. Is it possible for you to check 2.5 or at least 2.3 to narrow things down. In what way exactly do the EEs not follow the original game behaviour?

@fortyseven I think not many people use keybindings, this is the reason you don't get responses. Also, your question seems to be a very wide one. Is it possible for you to check 2.5 or at least 2.3 to narrow things down. In what way exactly do the EEs not follow the original game behaviour?

In the originals you could combine most letter keys with shift or have the letters by themselves to assign to almost any spell that could be memorised. In EE the combination with shift is not possible, significantly decreasing the amount of spells that can be bound to the keyboard at anyone time. As a result I have often found I needed to unbind vital basic functions like map and inventory etc. to free-up keys for spells (and this was still not enough). The second issue is that numerous spells are missing from the list in the menu that lets you assign keys to them making it impossible to have keyboard shortcuts for some spells. In BG1 there is also the minor annoyance of not being able to bind spells that occur only in BG2. I understand this will not be an issue for many players but for someone like me who plays almost only spellcaster exclusive groups it does hamper a streamlined experience and seems a real step back from the original system.
    GreenWarlock
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Well, mixed news. The missing BG2 spells are now available for BGEE keybinding, but it doesn't look like we support shift-X keybindings yet.
    GreenWarlockJuliusBorisovProontlolien