Skip to content

[mod] Skie - The Cost of One Girl's Soul

Comments

• LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,680
    Uhm, sure! Enjoy!
  • Dalmir_The_DarkDalmir_The_Dark Member Posts: 40
    edited November 2022
    This mod should seriously be considered canon. I was so mad at how we got screwed by Irenicus at the end of SoD. And obviously, since BG2 was made long before, there was nothing in the original game that could possibly plan for anything like that to happen, therefore no way to ever redeem yourself... until this mod was created.

I just can't even put into words how damn satisfying it is to rescue Skie and clear my conscience as well as my good name. What's funny though is that I always found Skie to be annoying in original BG1, but Siege of Dragonspear changed all of that for me. Even though she is reckless, haughty & an overall pain in the ass, I found myself starting to care about her and felt extremely satisfied coming to her rescue at Dragonspear Castle. Beamdog did a good job at developing her and actually making me get emotionally attached to her wellbeing. I really felt the sting when all of Entar Silvershield's trust that he had placed in me to take care of Skie and keep her safe turned to abject horror, disgust & hatred when he discovered her murdered body and thought that I was the one responsible.

Thank you so much for creating this wonderful mod, Lava. You know I am one of your biggest fans and enjoy all of your work, but this creation really holds a special place in my heart. All the proofreading that I do for you is the least I can do to pay you back for all of your amazing contributions to the Baldur's Gate universe.

Thank you for your kind words! Skie has a special place in my heart, too! :)
  • ShirakShirak Member Posts: 84
    I fully concur. I personally consider this mod homebrew canon for me as well, and I install it for every setup.

My only gripe is with the latest version and Eddard. I find his kit "nonsensically OP". I also struggle to reconcile how he can be enslaved when he is so OP, even if he was outnumbered. He really gave me the Mary Sue vibes of some of the older famous NPC mods.
    edited November 2022
    @Shirak - Remember though, that to join him you must complete 2 personal quests and succeed in Skie's friendship, so getting him isn't just going to district X and saying "hey, join me" so since this is a bit more time- and effort-consuming to get him, that should also be somehow rewarded.

However, you're not the first one to say that he is (too) powerful, so I've decided to nerf him a bit.
    - he no longer gets grand mastery (*****), instead, he may achieve high mastery (****)
    - he used to have -1 to caster's level, but now (in addition to the previous penalty) he also suffers from -2 casting speed
    - he may memorize 1 less spell per each spell level

Furthermore: there was a mistake in the description - he cannot cast "Protection from Fire and Cold" but he gains "Find Traps" which is a less powerful spell.

Outside the kit, to show that there is still some play for improvement (training), his strength was lowered from 18 to 17 and his Intelligence from 15 to 14.

So yes, he still gets some nice skills and greater fighting abilities (even with his proficiency now lowered), but the cost he's paying for it is way greater. And since the casting speed penalty is now there, the special abilities he gets are also cast more slowly.

The new version is up.
    Nice. I'll have to get round to trying Eddard again in my next installation, before giving you more feedback.

Just curious, what was the source for the kit? Or was it your personal homebrew?
    Yep, I came up with it (it's homebrew), I wanted to get a kit that would work well with his story AND create this "paladin-bard" vibe.
    @LavaDelVortel Just a small check. What's the criteria for Missini's 2nd appearance? Do we have to forge the Soultaker Dagger at Cromwell first or something? I'm trying something different for one of my runs and can't seen to get her to make the 2nd appearance........
  • DraikenWeAreDraikenWeAre Member Posts: 99
    Hey, @LavaDelVortel I don't know if you'd be willing to make an override for your mod with all the necessary components.

I'm playing BG2EE on Android and I can't mod my game since my laptop got busted.
    Sorry, I never even tried playing these games on android, I have no idea how they work, or how mods work with them. Plus, there is so much on my plate right now, that I have no idea how to properly deal with stuff I already somehow started.
    Shirak wrote: »
    @LavaDelVortel Just a small check. What's the criteria for Missini's 2nd appearance? Do we have to forge the Soultaker Dagger at Cromwell first or something? I'm trying something different for one of my runs and can't seen to get her to make the 2nd appearance........

@LavaDelVortel Able to help? I've rested in inns, and travelled in and out of Athkatla, but nothing seems to work...
    Check you "L#2SkieReturns","GLOBAL" variable -- if it's set to 3, it means she got was spawned, but something broke her script and she may be in one of the taverns. However, remember that she also won't appear if: a) you skipped "companion" the component; b) went to Spellhold (she can join you ONLY before Spellhold).
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    To clarify, is Eldoth in this mod? If so, where to find him?

Thankee!
    You encounter him in Brynnlaw.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    Thankee, Lava!

Your Skie mods taught me that Skie was a recruitable NPC in BG and not just an unused portrait like the blonde dwarf.

Thankee!
    Huh, you're welcome!
  • Shin0b1G6Shin0b1G6 Member Posts: 23
    Question here. Can Lava's Skie mod be used for BG2EE even if you modded BG1EE without SOD installed? I'm very interested in how the mod interacts with an imported BG1EE Without SOD save in BG2EE.
    There are no checks for SoD in the mod. It assumes you at least know what happened, Imoen will make a little reminder of SoD plot in the dungeon once you find the soultaker dagger.

Skie's talks will also assume you know what happened in SoD, the story, the characters. After all, it's a continuation of a plot introduced by Siege.

But there is no technical checks, you may as well just start a new BG2EE game without playing BG1EE or SoD or use your BG1EE character.
  • IecerintIecerint Member Posts: 431
    edited May 2023
    Eddard seems to be glitched a bit when using mods that extend HP bonuses to level 20, change CON HP bonuses, and allow for releveling/proficiency-placing. I noticed that after using a tome to reset his proficiencies, he ended up with ~40 points fewer HP than before using the tome. In particular, he ends up with about the same HP as Phahl, even though Phahl is a few levels behind. I think it may be that his extra hit-dice aren't taken into account when he gets a bunch of levels at one time and/or that his post-10 HP isn't taken into account, since otherwise he should be a few HP-levels ahead of Phahl in HP. Subsequent post-10 level ups do give correct hit die HP.

I can reset another post-10 character and rule out that it's the post-10 HP and confirm that it's the special hit dice.
    edited May 2023
    Sorry, but I cannot assure that everything is going to work properly after you reset a mod character with another mod and add a bunch of other things/tweaks/rule changes to the mix.

I checked and he uses hpclass "HPPRS" which is like priests, not like rogues which use "HPROG".

On a side note, I am generally against resetting characters that way while their classes, and proficiencies, as I consider them part of that character, even if they are not a perfect combo for max efficiency. The exception to the rule is when the author provides such an alternative and it works with their character. There is only one character for which I provide a real tweak and it's Viconia (and even there it's not a reset, but a change to a specific class/kit combination), and even then I have mixed feelings about it, even though I am the co-author of that mod.

Anyway, you do such stuff as resetting a character at your own risk.
    Post edited by LavaDelVortel on
  • Shin0b1G6Shin0b1G6 Member Posts: 23
    Thanks for the insight Lava. That helps me out very well. Guess it'd be like a "Hey, remeber this event?" Even if it didn't happen onscreen situations. Kinda like the trope "Remember the new guy" but with the trope applying to a plotline, not an individual character.
  • n2nw2n2nw2 Member Posts: 4
    Hello! I've been playing the old BG before I get the new BG next month and I had not yet played SoD. Once I finished it, I saw your mod and had to add it to my many, many romance mods (which I view like Pokemon - gotta catch 'em all...lol). Anyway, I know that modders work hard and use their spare time, so please know that this is just a suggestion! My favorite information that I find most useful for romance mods is a listing of talks and variables - not the whole talk, just the first couple words (or just the talk #) and whether or not there's a special condition (night, in a tavern, outside). This information is particularly useful when you have multiple romance options (to see if you've broken anything) and is especially nice when a character's romance variable isn't initially listed, which seems to be the case for Eddard.

Eddard joined my party so much later (it took me a bit to figure out how to bring back Skie) that I'm going to have to drop the others in the party because I don't have the Eddard romance active variable yet. Although others aren't yet committed, I noticed that if I give a certain response at a conflict point between he and Anomen, that Anomen's variable can either go to 3 or stay at 1. I'm assuming that if it stays at 1, then I'm locking out Eddard? Could you tell me whether or not he stays an active candidate so long as other romances aren't yet committed?

Anyway, as I said, I know this is a spare time thing and I don't want to over-burden. But IF you had the time and inclination, knowing variables and talks are great for keeping the romance on track. Knowing when you're in danger of keeping the romance from sprouting is also always a good thing. Too bad we don't have those for real life! :D

On another note, I obviously haven't finished Eddard's romance yet (or even begun it), but I really like the friendship with Skie. Besides Imoen, you really don't get any girl friends. I love Jaheira and always make room for her once the eligible bachelors are slimmed down, but she's more like a mother figure. It was nice to get an option for another girl friend that you can pal around with before you get Imoen back.
    As I'm on vacation right now, I will keep it short: I'm not interested in making such lists for any of my romance mods. I know you asked only for Eddard now, but there are also over 15 other romance mods I released, I don't want to even imagine listing all those romance talks and their variables. If you must, use NearInfinity to browse talks and their triggers, I however think that spoils the fun, so excuse my lack of interest in this.

As for a talk with Anomen: yes, it sounds like you are speaking of the romance conflict. So yes, there are conflict. Futhermore, if you enter a commited stage of a romance with any other NPC (original or from any mod) that will kill the romance with my NPC (or rather NPCs, because that's true for most of my mods). And I'm not really interesting in changing that.

I hope you'll find mods and stories you'll enjoy.

Cheers!
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    @n2nw2 Anomen romance is a tricky one. The devs obviously relied on him being the only romance interest for female PCs, therefore the setting of the tracking variable ("AnomenRomanceActive") isn't at definite places where the player would expect it. More info on that here, unfortunately not very player friendly.) (I don't know whether the mod considers this, some do.).
    Best if you don't let Anomen pick you flowers, and check the variable after his lovetalks.
    edited July 2023
    As I'm on vacation right now, I will keep it short: I'm not interested in making such lists for any of my romance mods. I know you asked only for Eddard now, but there are also over 15 other romance mods I released, I don't want to even imagine listing all those romance talks and their variables. If you must, use NearInfinity to browse talks and their triggers, I however think that spoils the fun, so excuse my lack of interest in this.

As for a talk with Anomen: yes, it sounds like you are speaking of the romance conflict. So yes, there are conflict. Futhermore, if you enter a commited stage of a romance with any other NPC (original or from any mod) that will kill the romance with my NPC (or rather NPCs, because that's true for most of my mods). And I'm not really interesting in changing that.

I hope you'll find mods and stories you'll enjoy.

Cheers!

No worries, it was just a suggestion. The information is nice to have, but not essential. I use EEKeeper and check variables to see where things may have gone awry. The LT variables are great for seeing what isn't firing or what got missed. I understand not wanting to take the time to write them all down. I've written some mods for other games (for my own use only) and I know how incredibly long and painstaking the process can be - and I don't work with scripting and dialogue.

For the record, I wasn't asking to keep romance conflicts from happening. I was just making sure that Eddard was still good so long as you *weren't* committed, which you answered. It doesn't make sense that most romances would tolerate two-timing. ***SPOILER FOR HAER'DALIS MOD AHEAD*** Even Haer'Dalis will make you choose at some point (which is an excellently written mod and one of my all time favs, btw).

I'll have a look for your other mods. I love going through new stories. And thank you for answering, especially since you're on vacation. Hope you have a great one.
    Post edited by n2nw2 on
    edited July 2023
    jastey wrote: »
    @n2nw2 Anomen romance is a tricky one. The devs obviously relied on him being the only romance interest for female PCs, therefore the setting of the tracking variable ("AnomenRomanceActive") isn't at definite places where the player would expect it. More info on that here, unfortunately not very player friendly.) (I don't know whether the mod considers this, some do.).
    Best if you don't let Anomen pick you flowers, and check the variable after his lovetalks.

Well hello, Jastey! We've never conversed, but I know you quite well from the Gibberlings forum. I have pretty much all of their male romance mods and I have used your all's forums quite extensively! And as you know, you are one of their main contributors, so your name is very familiar to me. And just as on that forum, you are being very helpful here as well.
    :)

I'm more of a lurker because I can usually fix my own issues. Usually. And I've learned that most people don't think you're bugging them just by asking a simple question, so I'm more prone to asking things now. Unfortunately, I started using the internet when people weren't so kind. It was easier to lurk and figure it out myself until I got a little more thick skinned (though the people at Gibberlings always seemed to play nice with others).

Thank you for the information about Anomen. Yes, I knew he can be tricky. I was just curious if I didn't break Anomen's relationship at that particular talk with Eddard if it would break Eddard's romance (by leaving Anomen's open, even though it was as of yet uncommitted). I'm guessing from what you said (and the posted link) that it was probably best to just terminate Anomen's romance at that point because Anomen can quickly go to committed and lock out other romances. I love the romances that start with friendship first, but without the actual "(npcname)RomanceActive" variable, it's hard to tell whether or not you will actually get to the romance or if you've accidentally terminated it. The first time I played with Kivan, I got burned after playing through most of the game with him because I had somehow locked him out and never knew. That's a lot of time for a let down. :D
    n2nw2 wrote: »
    I use EEKeeper and check variables to see where things may have gone awry. The LT variables are great for seeing what isn't firing or what got missed.
    NearInfinity may be even better, because it allows you to both browse savegames and the actual dialogues of all existing characters. They may be seen in a tree mode so you will see "where you are" once you know the variable. It's basically a list of first lines and variables that trigger them, that is why o suggested you may want to give it a try.
    I'll have a look for your other mods. I love going through new stories. And thank you for answering, especially since you're on vacation. Hope you have a great one.
    Thank you. You may be interested in Lhannd. It's a new one and I am pretty happy with his main quest. The only thing I forgot about are romance conflicts, but I may add them once I have some time.

Cheers
    n2nw2 wrote: »
    I use EEKeeper and check variables to see where things may have gone awry. The LT variables are great for seeing what isn't firing or what got missed.
    NearInfinity may be even better, because it allows you to both browse savegames and the actual dialogues of all existing characters. They may be seen in a tree mode so you will see "where you are" once you know the variable. It's basically a list of first lines and variables that trigger them, that is why o suggested you may want to give it a try.

Ah. I didn't realize the difference in the utilities. I'll keep that in mind.
    Thank you. You may be interested in Lhannd. It's a new one and I am pretty happy with his main quest. The only thing I forgot about are romance conflicts, but I may add them once I have some time.

[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll give him a look.
  • DracleathDracleath Member Posts: 9
    edited August 2023
    A small bug I noticed. When I offer my bhaalspawn essence to Nem to make a conduit she tells me to enjoy my friends and family in my last days. I think this is a miscall to a dialogue with Pyll, because it is a dialogue response for him and makes more sense in that context.
    Good catch. I made a numbering mistake when I was updating the mod last time.
    It's fixed.