Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

10 bandit Waylay should be removed from chapter 1

1235»

Comments

• PingwinPingwin Member Posts: 137
    You're right, the bandit in question says there are no traps but I've always thought he didn't seem very convincing, a bit too eager to claim there are no traps. Which immediately made me suspect there are traps. An obvious liar trying to reassure you that there are no traps counts as a warning that there are traps in my book.

Not sure what the odds of the basilisk encounter are but I don't think I've ever encountered it. If you have a potion of mirror eyes in a quick slot, and auto-pause on hostile creatures being spotted, do you have chance to drink the potion before charname gets turned to stone?

Generally speaking, all encounters should have a reasonable chance of survival for a party of appropriate level to be wandering that part of the world who have a good grasp of tactics. The 10 bandit ambush and the basilisk ambush break those rules although they are rare events so it's not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.

• bretbret Member Posts: 24
    CamDawg said:

The ambush area in question is ar6100, which can spawn the 10-bandit ambush between 8pm and midnight. ar6100 is pretty much the ambush area for traveling along the main road and the area itself has a north-south cobbled path. It's used as the ambush area starting in the north with Wyrm's Crossing, the ankheg farm/Ajantis' area, FAI, area south of FAI, Lion's Way (where Gorion gets ambushed), Beregost, south of Beregost, and north of Nashkel. Ambushes occur roughly 5% for each area traveled.

Thanks, @CamDawg! This is precisely the kind of detailed meta-knowledge an SCS no-reloader like me needed! I can now avoid this encounter (until I know I'm ready to handle it) by timing my travel or altering my route. In that sense, it's not unlike any other trap or difficult encounter. As an added bonus, it's compatible with an RP mindset: "I better avoid traveling along this main road after dark!"

Although the no-reload playstyle requires a lot of meta-game knowledge to be successful, I've always liked how it forces me to play super conservatively and really "fear" death in the game. In that sense, no/minimal reload playthroughs give me better RP immersion (and make me more invested in CHARNAME) than when I rely on reloads. I.e. it's not just difficulty-for-difficulty's sake; it enhances the experience for me.

ConjurerDragon
  • PingwinPingwin Member Posts: 137
    If you are roleplaying, then you may well want to travel at night to remain unseen by those who are looking for you...

bob_veng
  • LammasLammas Member Posts: 109
    Pingwin said:

You're right, the bandit in question says there are no traps but I've always thought he didn't seem very convincing, a bit too eager to claim there are no traps. Which immediately made me suspect there are traps. An obvious liar trying to reassure you that there are no traps counts as a warning that there are traps in my book.

Not sure what the odds of the basilisk encounter are but I don't think I've ever encountered it. If you have a potion of mirror eyes in a quick slot, and auto-pause on hostile creatures being spotted, do you have chance to drink the potion before charname gets turned to stone?

I never thought him an obvious liar, just really nervous for his life because he's basically at daggerpoint of getting killed if he doesn't spill the beans.
    As for the basilisk, yeah you can look at your log to see who he is targetting, pause, quaff a potion (instant (hope the character is not following a script other than "attack")) and proceed to kill it for good EXP. It's just one of those things where you kinda have to know it can happen or it will 100 % kill you when it happens. I've seen it once in my last 4 playthroughts.

• KvotheRM8KvotheRM8 Member Posts: 24
    I just duck and after they shoot each other to death I pick up their hair pieces and say, “So I kicked him in the head until he was dead, hehehe”

Very_BigSwordthespaceDJKajuru
  • AaezilAaezil Member Posts: 114
    I only play with modded dragon models. My party cant fit in most areas because they are too narrow for my character models. Beamdog needs to change all areas to accomodate the way i play!

ChroniclerDJKajuruThacoBell
1235»