Skip to content

I don't get why . . . ? (Share things about the games that perplex you)

A thread for you to share the things about BG, IWD, PST or NWN that you just don't get.

I'll start us off:

I don't get why Cavaliers have got resistance to acid?

Comments

• Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Zaghoul wrote: »
    As they get bonuses vs dragons I assume it is because the standard PnP black dragon has an acidic breath weapon.

I guess that makes sense. Cavaliers have got resistance to fire and acid and immunity to poison - so does that mean they have in fact got resistances to all the possible kinds of breath weapon of evil-aligned dragons?
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Cavaliers have got resistance to fire and acid and immunity to poison - so does that mean they have in fact got resistances to all the possible kinds of breath weapon of evil-aligned dragons?
    Level drain is not covered, shadow dragon in the temple ruin, but also that would have been op and make undead hunter obsolete.

• ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    edited October 2019
    Hmm, come to think of it, he is also missing resistance to cold for the evil white dragons as well. Resistance to lightning for the blue dragons would help also.
    edited October 2019
    Hmm, come to think of it, he is also missing resistance to cold for the evil white dragons as well. Resistance to lightning for the blue dragons would help also.

In that case I am back to wondering why they get resistance to acid? Come to that I don't really get why they are immune to poison either. Immunity to fear and charm makes sense because they are noble knights, unswerving in their devotion to their duty. And I guess a bit of fire resistance sort of makes sense because at some point they may have to harrow hell. But the other stuff I just don't get.
    Post edited by Permidion_Stark on
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367

In that case I am back to wondering why they get resistance to acid? Come to that I don't really get why they are immune to poison either. Immunity to fear and charm makes sense because they are noble knights, unswerving in their devotion to their duty. And I guess a bit of fire resistance sort of makes sense because and some point they may have to harrow hell. But the other stuff I just don't get.

Poison immunity so they can more easily battle driders and Llolth? Just a thought.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Probably because they're not "elegant" enough. (Completely ignoring the fact that Longbows themselves are usually 6ft long and bigger than the actual archer!)
    Actually, I don't really get why bards don't have the same weapon restrictions as thieves. I mean how do you pick someone's pocket when you are holding a halberd?
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Actually, I don't really get why bards don't have the same weapon restrictions as thieves. I mean how do you pick someone's pocket when you are holding a halberd?

Bards can use almost any weapon because they are jacks of all trades. And big two-handed weapons are fitting for some bards like skalds.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

In that case I am back to wondering why they get resistance to acid? Come to that I don't really get why they are immune to poison either. Immunity to fear and charm makes sense because they are noble knights, unswerving in their devotion to their duty. And I guess a bit of fire resistance sort of makes sense because at some point they may have to harrow hell. But the other stuff I just don't get.

Don't several types of fiends use poison and acid? Cavaliers get bonuses against fiends as well.
    mlnevese wrote: »
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    I don't get why...?

Dungeon engineers would have a wardrobe chock full of normal weapons right next to the room they stocked with magic golems. Did they just want the fight to be fair? Seems like they could have created a cool challenge by including a few fission slimes in there with the golems.

Do we use those normal weapons on the golems, or our magic weapons on the slimes? Oh, the dilemma! Damn, maybe I should have designed Watcher's Keep...

If some players in this forum had designed the game's dungeons they would be nearly impossible to complete even on easy difficulty mode :)

I think I'd try to come up with a way to make it next to impossible in STORY mode!
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    when you stand behind someone and pretend to lean on the halberd you have an easy free hand for that quick movement.
    OlvynChuru wrote: »

Bards can use almost any weapon because they are jacks of all trades. And big two-handed weapons are fitting for some bards like skalds.

I don't mind skalds using them (they are after all rubbish at picking pockets) but your common-or-garden bard of the traveling minstrel variety doesn't seem likely to be wandering around with a great big axe over his shoulder.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,355
    I don't get why...?

Dungeon engineers would have a wardrobe chock full of normal weapons right next to the room they stocked with magic golems. Did they just want the fight to be fair? Seems like they could have created a cool challenge by including a few fission slimes in there with the golems.

Do we use those normal weapons on the golems, or our magic weapons on the slimes? Oh, the dilemma! Damn, maybe I should have designed Watcher's Keep...

It’s commonly known that a time traveler can travel back in time, help out the slaves that build the dungeon, and then have a weakness implanted in the structure or guardian creature...
    but only one weakness off course.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875

I don't mind skalds using them (they are after all rubbish at picking pockets) but your common-or-garden bard of the traveling minstrel variety doesn't seem likely to be wandering around with a great big axe over his shoulder.

It doubles as a lute.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    edited October 2019
    I don't get why bards can't use composite longbows? They can use every other weapon in the game so what is so un-bardic about a composite longbow?

maybe because its composite?

which for some us ( perhaps ) didnt know is actually pronouced; COM-pause-it and not COMP-PO-sit ( i always thought it was the 2nd one )

so i guess bards just dont like using weapons that are composite
    I don't get why...?

It’s commonly known that a time traveler can travel back in time, help out the slaves that build the dungeon, and then have a weakness implanted in the structure or guardian creature...
    but only one weakness off course.

Why can't they travel back a bit further, set a few traps for the slaveholders and start the Revolution? An illogical variant of the Prime Directive perhaps???
    edited October 2019
    Verticor wrote: »

Easy enough. The resistance helps them cope with the excessive amounts of stomach acid, which is usually the result of Paladins having that stick up their ass.

Who put the sticks up their asses? That's just cruel...
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Easy enough. The resistance helps them cope with the excessive amounts of stomach acid, which is usually the result of Paladins having that stick up their ass.
    Who put the sticks up their asses? That's just cruel...
    Technically by the time you're a paladin the stick is already there. That's how you graduate from squire to paladin--your mentor performs the procedure.

So, the answer is "bigger paladins with seniority."
  • VerticorVerticor Member Posts: 119
    semiticgod wrote: »
    Technically by the time you're a paladin the stick is already there. That's how you graduate from squire to paladin--your mentor performs the procedure.

Wrong. It's a class feature. It appears level-wise just as automatically as immunity to diseases, spellcasting or whatever. It's a bone... errh, BOON from their god.

It's how they determine rank as well. The Paladin with the stick lodged up his ass the longest is the highest ranking Paladin of the order. Compare Keldorn to Ajantis for confirmation. Helm hasn't poked Ajantis with a stick yet, so he's young, righteous and has yet to have any illusions about the world broken.

Keldorn? The stick has been up his ass so long, that the number of year rings in it are at least two-digit. And his mood? "Salty" doesn't even begin to describe it.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903

Wrong. It's a class feature. It appears level-wise just as automatically as immunity to diseases, spellcasting or whatever.
    My mentor told me it was standard procedure for him to administer the stick personally. I remember it very clearly because he said it had to be on his birthday.

Why would my mentor lie to me about something like that?
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Nimran wrote: »

It doubles as a lute.

How does a big axe function as a lute? By playing air lute?
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    What about the trope where adventurers use halberd, poleaxes, spears and staves to put their knapsack on?

Wrong. It's a class feature. It appears level-wise just as automatically as immunity to diseases, spellcasting or whatever.
    My mentor told me it was standard procedure for him to administer the stick personally. I remember it very clearly because he said it had to be on his birthday.

Why would my mentor lie to me about something like that?

Guys, I am afraid the stick-up-the-ass theory doesn't provide an answer. All paladins have a stick up their ass but only cavaliers get resistance to acid. So I'm still in the dark here.