Skip to content

Icewind Dale 2: Enhanced Edition is released!

Comments

• BarazBaraz Member Posts: 42
    edited December 2023
    The proper or adapted editor / viewer software is Near Infinity. The intro/wiki link is:
    https://github.com/NearInfinityBrowser/NearInfinity/wiki

It requires you install Java first.
    EDIT: though OlvynChuru's version uses the same wiki page, use the version linked by Acrux2 below.
    Post edited by Baraz on
  • Acrux2Acrux2 Member Posts: 52
    I'm not sure that one is updated with the IWD2EE effects. This one (created by the dev) is: https://github.com/OlvynChuru/NearInfinity/archive/devel.zip
  • LemminkainenLemminkainen Member Posts: 9
    Can someone share a stable version of Dale keeper II or other tools that can be used to edit characters? I wish to change a feat in one of my team characeters.. :) Thanks!

Chill out with the duplicate posts!

In my experience, Dale Keeper II doesn't work or is not available anymore, I used an old tool called MPIWD2, which can be found here: https://sorcerers.net/Games/IWD2/index_editors.php ... MPIWD2 is limited in what it can edit and is a bit wonky to setup and use, but as far as I know its the only character editor for IWD2 that still works.

However, if you can learn how to use this (its much more complex), you can use the NearInfinity tool to edit literally anything in any Infinity Engine game, its available here: https://github.com/NearInfinityBrowser/NearInfinity/wiki#download-and-links
    edited December 2023
    Chill out with the duplicate posts!

In my experience, Dale Keeper II doesn't work or is not available anymore, I used an old tool called MPIWD2, which can be found here: https://sorcerers.net/Games/IWD2/index_editors.php ... MPIWD2 is limited in what it can edit and is a bit wonky to setup and use, but as far as I know its the only character editor for IWD2 that still works.

However, if you can learn how to use this (its much more complex), you can use the NearInfinity tool to edit literally anything in any Infinity Engine game, its available here: https://github.com/NearInfinityBrowser/NearInfinity/wiki#download-and-links
    Acrux2 and I already answered just above, and Acrux2 gave the link to the version updated for IWD2EE.

nb: Rahona's multipied posts is obviously a technical error and they cannot delete them.
  • TSHawkTSHawk Member Posts: 67
    Acrux2 wrote: »
    I'm not sure that one is updated with the IWD2EE effects. This one (created by the dev) is: https://github.com/OlvynChuru/NearInfinity/archive/devel.zip

Where do we extract too?
    I have asked on the NI thread how to use it but nobody has replied? How does NI actually work and how do you use it?
    TSHawk wrote: »

Where do we extract too?

It can go anywhere. Doesn't have to be in the game folder.

Can you be more specific in what you mean by "how do you use it?" It's a pretty powerful editing tool so it can do a lot of things - edit many game rules (2DA), edit characters and saves, change object or spell or creature files, etc.

Where do we extract too?

It can go anywhere. Doesn't have to be in the game folder.

Can you be more specific in what you mean by "how do you use it?" It's a pretty powerful editing tool so it can do a lot of things - edit many game rules (2DA), edit characters and saves, change object or spell or creature files, etc.

I have used both DaleKeeper and EEKeeper but when I have opened up NI I don't understand on how to use it to make any of the edits?

I guess I understand that part of it but it is the editing I am lost on? Like changing the feats or wanting to add an Item?
    edited December 2023

I guess I understand that part of it but it is the editing I am lost on? Like changing the feats or wanting to add an Item?
    It is not easy for sure. Here is a starting point:
    • Inside MPSave, open one of the save folders, and select its .gam file.
    • click on the View tab, then double-click one of the named Player characters.
    • There are many view options, but you should click Edit. At the bottom of that opened file for "Party member x", double-click the last line which is CRE Resource.
    • The CRE Resource page is the main place to edit a character stats: skills, feats, items, XP, etc. Adding an item is tricky though and I am not sure how to do it (I use the Console commands instead to add items).
  • RaojinnRaojinn Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2023
    Hi, anyone else have a problem with saved games on Windows 11?

I can see the saves are created in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\Icewind Dale II.

But when I go to load game there are no saved games listed at all. So I can create a save but can't load them afterwards, lol.

How can that be? Anyone know how do I fix this?

If that location is not where the saved games should be, then from where should they be loaded from,lol?

Edit: Hmm, ok I copied the folders named "cache", "Characters" and "mpsave" to the the install folder and now it seems to work.
    It's gonna be tedious to copy new saves everytime but at least it's a workaround for now. Hope you guys can fix it in the future, lol.
    Post edited by Raojinn on
  • lightningfurylightningfury Member Posts: 1
    Enjoying the EE. Not sure if this was in vanilla, but I killed Ondabo the genie in the ice temple on normal with a 5th level party of 5 characters and gained 576,000 exp. This is enough to basically level my whole party to 20. Have the option enabled for "CR equal to level", and did not install "enemies give exp regardless of party level". Is this intended?
    Baraz wrote: »

It is not easy for sure. Here is a starting point:
    • Inside MPSave, open one of the save folders, and select its .gam file.
    • click on the View tab, then double-click one of the named Player characters.
    • There are many view options, but you should click Edit. At the bottom of that opened file for "Party member x", double-click the last line which is CRE Resource.
    • The CRE Resource page is the main place to edit a character stats: skills, feats, items, XP, etc. Adding an item is tricky though and I am not sure how to do it (I use the Console commands instead to add items).

Yeah that forum has gone quiet. But thank you again for the help. I will try it even though I have that screen open its not allowing me to edit? I wanted to increase his XP

deasbvjng4xy.png
    Oh, if you only want to change XP, it's much easier to use the console.

Enable it using the Config file. then open the console using Ctrl+Tab and type ctrlaltdelete:setcurrentxp(#)
    Oh, if you only want to change XP, it's much easier to use the console.

Enable it using the Config file. then open the console using Ctrl+Tab and type ctrlaltdelete:setcurrentxp(#)

iriol4xdzczz.png

This is the only thing I am seeing for Config?
    edited December 2023
    iriol4xdzczz.png
    Eh, that is Config.exe : run it. What is the problem ? It opens a small app for choosing many settings for IWD2. What Acrux2 was saying is you can activate the console/cheats with an option set in Config.exe (in that little app, there are three tabs. Go to tab Game, tick the little box left of Enable Cheat Console). After that, in-game, press Ctrl+Tab at the same time. There are many codes you can use to either add a item, set current XP, etc. (Google it)

edited December 2023
    iriol4xdzczz.png
    Eh, that is Config.exe : run it. What is the problem ? It opens a small app for choosing many settings for IWD2. What Acrux2 was saying is you can activate the console/cheats with an option set in Config.exe (in that little app, there are three tabs. Go to tab Game, tick the little box left of Enable Cheat Console). After that, in-game, press Ctrl+Tab at the same time. There are many codes you can use to either add a item, set current XP, etc. (Google it)

Thank you. I am kinda ignorant to some of this stuff and just need a better explanation. Also can I use that for adding scrolls or other items?
    edited December 2023
    Thank you. I am kinda ignorant to some of this stuff and just need a better explanation. Also can I use that for adding scrolls or other items?
    Yes. I used it mostly to give my party starting gear and give my Wizard some basic scrolls.

To make your Google search simpler, here is an example of a command I used :
    ctrlaltdelete:CreateItem("SPWI407Z.ITM")
    In this case, SPWI407Z.ITM is for a scroll of Summon Monster IV.

Warning : some item codes on the Internet are not items the player is supposed to have, which will cause bugs. Most spell scrolls on this list should be fine.

A safer code is (read: so you buy stuff from merchants instead of importing dubious items) :
    ctrlaltdelete:addgold(#)
    Of course, replace # with an amount of Gold.

Acrux2 shared the command: ctrlaltdelete:setcurrentxp(#)
    ( select the right character first and do not save unless you are certain all is correct )
    Yes. I used it mostly to give my party starting gear and give my Wizard some basic scrolls.

To make your Google search simpler, here is an example of a command I used :
    ctrlaltdelete:CreateItem("SPWI407Z.ITM")
    In this case, SPWI407Z.ITM is for a scroll of Summon Monster IV.

Warning : some item codes on the Internet are not items the player is supposed to have, which will cause bugs. Most spell scrolls on this list should be fine.

A safer code is (read: so you buy stuff from merchants instead of importing dubious items) :
    ctrlaltdelete:addgold(#)
    Of course, replace # with an amount of Gold.

Acrux2 shared the command: ctrlaltdelete:setcurrentxp(#)
    ( select the right character first and do not save unless you are certain all is correct )

Thank you. I gave myself a reboot starting at 5th level and just added the gold to make purchases in targos without going overboard
    edited December 2023
    duplicate comment
    Post edited by TSHawk on
    edited December 2023
    duplicate comment
    Post edited by TSHawk on
    The game doesn't send us to the underdark if I remember correctly so there won't be any underdark items like Drow plate or drow chain mail or Umber Hulks? Is there a place that will sell good magical Elven chain and not plus 1 maybe like a plus 2?
    You do go to the underdark briefly. There are no umberhulks, but the EE version of IWD2 has an option to significantly change itemization. some of which would include armor that reduces casting penalties. (Casters can wear armor in IWD2, but will have penalties to casting failure. There are feats and items that mitigate that.)
  • tyson_dougtyson_doug Member Posts: 3
    I'm right-clicking the Inventory to Quickloot and it's causing the game to crash. The error message is "An Assertion failed in ChVideo.cpp at line number 8425". Can anyone help? I'd really like to quickloot...
    Thanks in advance.
    I'm right-clicking the Inventory to Quickloot and it's causing the game to crash. The error message is "An Assertion failed in ChVideo.cpp at line number 8425". Can anyone help? I'd really like to quickloot...
    Thanks in advance.
    Thanks in advance.
    You do go to the underdark briefly. There are no umberhulks, but the EE version of IWD2 has an option to significantly change itemization. some of which would include armor that reduces casting penalties. (Casters can wear armor in IWD2, but will have penalties to casting failure. There are feats and items that mitigate that.)

Ok cool
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 1,001
    @tyson_doug: Three things:

1) Make sure you're using a recent version of IWD2:EE.

2) When you start the game, the resolution select popup should have some text on the right, (if you don't see this you're running an old version and need to update). The status of cnc-ddraw is reported at the bottom of this text; if it says cnc-ddraw is "Not Present" you need to reinstall IWD2:EE. Alternately, you can navigate to iwd2ee/ddrawfix and copy its contents into your game's base folder.

3) If you are selecting a low resolution when starting the game, try picking one ≥ 1024x768.

Here's a blurb from the FAQ if you need to update / reinstall the mod:
    Q: When a new update is released, how do I install the updated version when I already have an old version of the mod installed?
    A: Do these steps in this order:
    1. Uninstall the old version of the mod (with setup-IWD2EE.exe).
    2. Delete the folder called "iwd2ee" from your Icewind Dale 2 folder (make SURE you uninstall IWD2EE BEFORE you do this).
    3. Download the new version into your Icewind Dale 2 folder.
    4. Install the new version of the mod.

If none of that works try the master version of IWD2:EE, which includes a major engine fix that might be related.
  • RoberRober Member Posts: 1
    Please,help!!
    When I install the Spanish translation of the game, everything appears in my language except what has been modified in the EE, which appears blank, without any text. Do you have a solution?
    Thanks and superb work!!