Skip to content

Baldur's Gate Logic

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367

If you let Imoen join your party in Spellhold, the entire party will have to go through the Underdark, no matter which way you choose.

If you leave Imoen in the Spellhold dungeon, she finds her way back to Athkatla on her own with no problems.

Maybe she hid in Bodhi's back-up coffin...
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @Son_of_Imoen
    Garrick might be a good choice. I know NPC Project isn't canon, but in that mod she does think Garrick is cute.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    edited August 2018

If you let Imoen join your party in Spellhold, the entire party will have to go through the Underdark, no matter which way you choose.

If you leave Imoen in the Spellhold dungeon, she finds her way back to Athkatla on her own with no problems.

Didn't you know she was in a hurry because she was pregnant? She needed to give birth to a @Son_of_Imoen.

I still wonder who my dad is though :o
    It's probably someone who was locked up with her in Spellhold through those long, lonely nights. @Son_of_Tiax.
    Post edited by Permidion_Stark on
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806

Didn't you know she was in a hurry because she was pregnant? She needed to give birth to a @Son_of_Imoen.

I still wonder who my dad is though :o
    It's probably someone who was locked up with her in Spellhold through those long, lonely nights. @Son_of_Tiax.
    Eeks!
    @Permidion_Stark
    That is...troublesome.

I just saw that this board has now reach 25K views! That's really awesome, I'm just another guy in real life but I'm glad that I'm somebody important to you guys on this forum. It makes me feel special and I thank each and every one of you for it.
    Another logic problem just crossed my mind and I wanted to post it before I went to bed.

Sarevok clearly wants the party dead, right? So after his initial ambush failed, why didn't he send more elite people after the party to begin with? I get why he can't send his inner circle or handle it himself because he's got other important stuff to do, but think about it.

Can you imagine if the party was ambushed by Nimbul at the Friendly Arm instead of Tarnesh? Or perhaps one of those mid-level bounty hunter groups was hired to cut the party off on the roads instead of being scattered randomly about the map? Charname would then be a pile of ash long before Sarevok would ever have to worry about him/her.

At least the other villains have reasons for wanting to hold off on killing Charname, but Sarevok has NO excuse
    1. Caelar wants to convince Charname to join her cause
    2. Belhefit couldn't have predicted Charname coming to Avernus to fight him
    3. Irenicus needed Charname alive in order to get his/her soul
    4. Mellisan needed Charname to kill the other Bhaalspawn so she could steal Bhaal's power for herself
    5. Firkragg just wanted to torment Charname because of his petty hate-crush on Gorion and the Harpers

Even when we run into Sarevok again in TOB his motivation to manipulate the party into helping him give him a reason not to kill the party, but in BG he doesn't have any excuse for not axing Charname and Co. while he had the chance.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    At that time, Charname really was small fry, and with Gorion dead, it was quite presumable that Charname didn't stand much of a chance.

Also note that levels are quite arbitrary. While technically speaking, your character becomes a lot more powerful during the course of the campaign, storywise it wouldn't make sense to become so much stronger over such a relative short amount of time.

Narratively it would make more sense that Charname discovers the strength that he possesses, rather than literally gaining said strength. Thus, narratively speaking, he'd likely be able to deal with Nimbul already if he really tried, even if that's not properly represented by game stats.

Though I think there's surely folks out there that can defeat Nimbul solo at level 1. Some players do the craziest of stuff.

PS: I'm glad that you take so much joy out of seeing so many views and posts to the thread that you started, but not every single view of this thread or post in this thread is specifically dedicated towards you. I mean no disrespect, but me posting in this thread does not automatically mean you're someone important to me.
    @Thels
    You are correct, I wasn't attempting to over glorify myself and that may have come across wrong. I'm just thanking everyone for contributing to this thread and I feel like the people who have contributed to it are like family to me at this point.
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    I don't think Sarevok wants to kill you. In the prologue video he kills a weak pathetic bhaalspawn. He could have spared him, tortured him to learn about others, but he's so revolted by the weakness that he doesn't care. When Gorion dies he knows you're alone and can't go home, he knows you'll die if you're weak and does just enough to test you. In the final battle, I believe he genuinely wants you there. He wants to be a god and if he can't defeat you, he isn't worthy of godhood. I think that's why he can genuinely change in TOB. Defeating him destroyed everything he once was. Just my 2cents.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited September 2018
    Not all mercenaries like working together either and there are really a lot of bandits and mercenaries on the road from prologue to end game with paper pamflets in their hands upping the bounty with increasing numbers. Sarevok sends plenty.

Irenicus I do not understand. He can get what he wants from someone else. Why wait weeks or months for you to arrive?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    lroumen said:

Not all mercenaries like working together either and there are really a lot of bandits and mercenaries on the road from prologue to end game with paper pamflets in their hands upping the bounty with increasing numbers. Sarevok sends plenty.

Irenicus I do not understand. He can get what he wants from someone else. Why wait weeks or months for you to arrive?

He may be able to get it from someone else, but he implies that you are the first he's found that will work. In SoD, he is clearly watching those with divine blood to find the right one. He found Caelar lacking, and gave Imoen's soul to Bohdi. The existence of others doesn't mean much if you haven't found them yet.
    Really?
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited September 2018
    The merceneries in BG1 leave notes behind and if you can read them you can see that Sarevok thought you weak first. The phrasing is kinda like "Oh crap, this dude is getting more and more annoying so I need better and better mercs to deal with him". I think that explains a bit why the mercs are getting increasingly stronger and better, ie the Tarnesh vs Nimbul vs the merc groups encountered in tough areas.

edit: I mean if you read between the lines, to make things more clear.
    Post edited by Skatan on
    @Skatan
    I'm really going to have to up the ante on that paranoia in my version of the story (speaking of which Chapter 2 is in the editing phase and it should be up in a couple days)
    lroumen said:

Really?

Yup.
    Is that SoD canon or bg2 canon? Because I played SoD only one and recall little, while I don't recall this at all from bg2.
    lroumen said:

Is that SoD canon or bg2 canon? Because I played SoD only one and recall little, while I don't recall this at all from bg2.

They are the same canon, so not sure what you are asking.
    lroumen said:

What?

Well, the question is whether the canon that Irenicus deems imoen unfit for personal usage originates from SoD or bg2 and whether someone can link me a dialogue entry / file.
    lroumen said:

Well, the question is whether the canon that Irenicus deems imoen unfit for personal usage originates from SoD or bg2 and whether someone can link me a dialogue entry / file.

It wouldn't matter, because its the same canon, still not sure what you are saying. I was inferring Imoen's uselessness to Irenicus though. He never states, but he never uses her soul the entire time he has her in spellhold, which would greatly speed up his revenge, which is states is all he cares about anymore. So it makes sense that Imoen wouldn't have worked for him.
    edited September 2018
    I always thought he was stupid and unless there is dialogue to prove she is unfit for use I cannot really change that...

About canon, it could be canon since 20 (?) years ago or only just since 2 (?) years, which makes a difference because that means the canon got rewritten and I did not notice or I simply never noticed at all.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    In the novel, for all that's worth, Irenicus actually tries to use both Abdel and Imoen. I'm not exactly sure why Jaheira was kept around, except perhaps for leverage over Abdel?
    lroumen said:

I always thought he was stupid and unless there is dialogue to prove she is unfit for use I cannot really change that...

About canon, it could be canon since 20 (?) years ago or only just since 2 (?) years, which makes a difference because that means the canon got rewritten and I did not notice or I simply never noticed at all.

He's not stupid, but he is super focused on a specific goal, so he does go tunnel vision on things he sees as beneath him or unneccessary. Nothing in SoD's characterization contradicts anything in BG2, so nothing was "changed" about Irenicus. Him not using Imoen's soul for himself is evidence in favor of the "Couldn't find a compatible soul" theory, and I don't recall of anything that would contradict it.
    But then to each their own interpretation I think.
    Thels said:

In the novel

(Intense Glare of Disapproval)

I personally agree with @ThacoBell on this one. I once heard someone say Skie could have also been a Bhaalspawn due to how things turned out for her, but Irenicus discovered he couldn't use her either.

And as far as going after charname specifically? It just makes sense. You don't want someone weak like the guard at the start of BG1 but you also don't want to get yourself killed going after one of The Five.