Skip to content

Baldur's Gate Logic

Comments

• ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    Are spell components canon to Baldur's Gate? Obviously they were never implemented as a gameplay mechanic but are we still supposed to understand that wizards are collecting Manticore Tails and Ochre Jelly Concentrate offscreen to fuel their feats of arcane wonder?
    ZaramMaldovarMontresor_SPThacoBell
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @Chronicler
    I'm unsure about that, but I suppose it would make sense, wouldn't it?
    Montresor_SP
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367

Are spell components canon to Baldur's Gate? Obviously they were never implemented as a gameplay mechanic but are we still supposed to understand that wizards are collecting Manticore Tails and Ochre Jelly Concentrate offscreen to fuel their feats of arcane wonder?

Can you imagine if that mechanic had been implemented? I can't think of a single reason to play wizard over sorcerer if you had to do umpteen fetch quests just to cast your spells. I guess maybe if you wanted to dual class, but who duals OUT of wizard?
    ChroniclerThacoBell
    @Balrog99
    Also you can't dual with Sorcerer in the first place, you can only dual into a viable multi-class option. But who duels out of Wizard indeed, my friend. Who duels out of Wizard indeed.
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12923726/2/Baldur-s-Gate

Chapter 1 of my Baldur's Gate story is finally up. Between this and the prologue I think I have a pretty epic opening.

Please read and leave a review if you can. Chapter 2 should be up in a couple of weeks if all goes well.
    Balrog99 said:

Can you imagine if that mechanic had been implemented? I can't think of a single reason to play wizard over sorcerer if you had to do umpteen fetch quests just to cast your spells. I guess maybe if you wanted to dual class, but who duals OUT of wizard?
    I've never played Pen and Paper, so I'm only sort of loosely familiar with this stuff, but can sorcerers cast spells without spell components, even if the spell would otherwise require them?
  • ProontProont Member Posts: 141

Balrog99 said:

I've never played Pen and Paper, so I'm only sort of loosely familiar with this stuff, but can sorcerers cast spells without spell components, even if the spell would otherwise require them?
    I don't think sorcerers existed in 2e. In 3e they require spell components just like wizards.
    Chronicler
    @Proont
    Sorcerers definitely existed in 2E because they were an option in the copy of Baldur's Gate II that my parents owned. The only class added with TOB was Wild Mage.

Since 3E and BG2 were both released around 2000 and BG2 required programming time, I believe that Sorcerers must have existed in some capacity in 2E.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited June 2018
    I play PnP AD&D since 1998 and I never heard of Sorcerer on that edition.

Edit: same goes for the version of the monk presented in BG2.
    ZaramMaldovar
    @Raduziel
    Well, I guess BG2 did add a few things that weren't supposed to exist yet. Adjustments for preview perhaps?
    Silly @Contemplative_Hamster

Infravision isn't useful
    ChroniclerThacoBellProont
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    Infravision can be very, very useful. Especially when combined with invisibility.
    Montresor_SPZaghoulProont
    Throne of Bhaal Logic:
    Illasera is supposed to be one of the five most powerful Bhaalspawn; despite this she is a pushover.
    Montresor_SPThacoBellProont
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Rapidly right-clicking people is a very good idea to do.
    ZaramMaldovarProontThacoBell
    I mean, I would imagine murder would be weighted much heavier than helping an old lady across the street, dark magic or no...
    Montresor_SP
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    edited June 2018
    what happens when you use dark magic to help an old lady cross the street?
    ZaramMaldovarProontMontresor_SPSanctifer
    @SethDavis
    Xzar, is that you?
    SethDavisProontBalrog99Montresor_SP