Skip to content

Baldur's Gate Logic

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I guess if you kill the dryad, then no one will hear about how you helped her first.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    How high was your reputation before killing her? If you kill an innocent, I believe your reputation always drops to 9, so a reputation loss of 3 would fit if you had a reputation of 12 before killing her.
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @semiticgod
    Maybe it has something to do with the fact that those weapons were actually used by Balduran whereas the city was just named after him.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391

Baldur's Gate Logic:

A sword named after Balduran is named the Sword of Balduran.

A shield named after Balduran is named the Shield of Balduran.

A helm named after Balduran is named the Helm of Balduran.

A butter knife named after Balduran is named the Butter Knife of Balduran.

But a city named after Balduran is named Baldur's Gate instead of Balduran's Gate.

Is that really what the city was named after?

Has nothing to do with any kind of Forgotten Realms counterpart to the Norse God Baldur?
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12923726/1/Baldur-s-Gate

Just dropped the Prologue for my adaption of Baldur's Gate if anyone is interested.
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    edited May 2018

Baldur's Gate Logic:

A sword named after Balduran is named the Sword of Balduran.

A shield named after Balduran is named the Shield of Balduran.

A helm named after Balduran is named the Helm of Balduran.

A butter knife named after Balduran is named the Butter Knife of Balduran.

But a city named after Balduran is named Baldur's Gate instead of Balduran's Gate.

Ha! Awesome!

I’m sure it wasn’t intentionally done this way by the creators of Faerun when they thought up Baldur’s Gate, but you do see language corruption in commonly said names in the US, especially for cities. For example, the inhabitants of Baltimore often pronounce it “Bal’mur” and New Orleans is famous for being pronounced “Norlens” by its native population.

I know I made the connection before, but it never seemed to strike me as weird until you just pointed it out. Maybe that’s because I’m used to people shortening and corrupting city names.
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947

How high was your reputation before killing her? If you kill an innocent, I believe your reputation always drops to 9, so a reputation loss of 3 would fit if you had a reputation of 12 before killing her.

Oh you are right. And I thought naively the game was smart.
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    So killing an innocent automatically drops your reputation to 9? Makes you wonder what an evil-aligned Charname has done in their youth to start the game with their reputation already on a slaughters-innocents-level.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    You know how these school shooters and such are often outcasts. Like they haven't committed any crimes yet, but their classmates are clearly getting some bad vibes off of them. It's probably like that.

Heck, since you're the spawn of murder it can be magic too. Maybe you've got a Murder Aura, and everybody who sees you has an itch in the back of their brain telling them that something's up with you, though they're not quite sure what.
    edited May 2018
    JoenSo said:

So killing an innocent automatically drops your reputation to 9? Makes you wonder what an evil-aligned Charname has done in their youth to start the game with their reputation already on a slaughters-innocents-level.

9 is average. You have go below 9 for anyone to have a problem with you. Basically think of it as kill one innocent and no matter how much you've saved the world, it almost kills your reputation.

Think of it like this:

In Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Captain America is replaced a Skrull for the entire first half of Season 2. When the real Captain America returns, he has to rebuild the reputation that the fake Captain America destroyed while he was gone.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    rede9 said:

I recruit Dorn.
    Shar-Teel and Ludrug challenge my best warrior.
    They attack Garrick.

They know the true power of Bards.
    @ThacoBell
    I've heard really great things about Bards, but I've never really played one. The opinions seem to be either
    1. Bards are terrible or
    2. Bards are Gods.

There doesn't seem to be an in-between.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    “Well, when a man and woman both love each other VERY much, ...”, as the old joke goes.
    Possible explanations
    1. The man is family. It's never specified that she's the only person who lives there.
    2. The man bought a room, it wasn't uncommon for people to rent out their homes as makeshift Inns during the medieval times
    3. The man is a Flaming Fist solider quartering in their home.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Possibly a teenaged son.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    My explanation is that he was feeling sleepy.
    edited May 2018

2. The man bought a room, it wasn't uncommon for people to rent out their homes as makeshift Inns during the medieval times.

Like German people in the Simpson house.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS9ifJx3bso
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    tbone1 said:

Balrog99 said:

Well, with the way I can walk in and out of houses without any of the occupants batting an eyelash, my conclusion is that there is no ownership of houses in Faerún. Society is one big autonomous collective...

You’re fooling yourself! They’re living in a dictatorship, a self-perpetuating autocracy where the peasant classes ...
    Oh, there you go, bringing class into it again.
    If you use Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity to have two romances with two heterosexual they do not care.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    rede9 said:

If you use Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity to have two romances with two heterosexual they do not care.

That's because 'charname' is HOT!
    :p
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    Balrog99 said:

rede9 said:

That's because 'charname' is HOT!
    :p
    Also because traps aren't gay. :tongue: