Skip to content

Baldur's Gate Logic

Comments

• ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391

Monks can't use the staff, despite the staff being the one weapon most consistently shown in the hands of a monk. They can use darts though! We are all familiar with the age-old connection between Monks and darts, i'm sure.

Bit of interesting background behind that.

In order to create the monk's special barefisted attack animations, they had to overwrite one of the existing animations.

They chose the two handed weapon attack animation, which is why monks can't use two handed weapons.

In this case there is no real in lore logic or even gameplay sense to the decision. Just coding limitations.
    Could that be undone or changed? Say, changed to the weapon-and-shield animation? Because I'd love me some staff-wielding monk love. (Yes, ok, this time I get why Freud keeps giving me funny looks).

No idea. I'd imagine it would be pretty difficult, otherwise somebody would've already done it.
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    Wow, this is all really compelling and insightful.

Also a note for everyone:
    Your Wizard has now been thrown by an angry Zhentarim Halfling Assassin.

Roll for intitative.

Proontmashedtaters
    edited April 2018
    Half Orcs can be the evil paladins, but not the good ones.

Half orcs aren't an inherently evil race or anything. That's just how it is, okay.

Edit: for clarification

There have been NPC's with illegal class/race combinations before. I'm pretty sure they've all had some in fiction justification for it though. Aerie for example is a Winged Elf, so you just kind of have to assume that winged elves can be cleric/mages.

Dorn doesn't really seem to have any particular reason he can be a Blackguard though. Despite the option not being available to the player, Dorn seems to be evidence that Half Orcs in general can be blackguards.

Half Orcs still can't be any kind of good paladin though, player character or otherwise. Not sure what that's supposed to say about a race that isn't otherwise inherently evil.
    mashedtatersProont
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Chronicler One of the reasons I mod race restricions out of my games.
    mashedtaters
    @ThacoBell
    How? I want to do that.
    ThacoBell
    @Chronicler
    Thanks, but the mod doesn't seem to want to install in my SOD folder where all my other mods are.
    Most class-race options are pretty easy to edit yourself with Nearinfinity if you wanna try it.

Mage specializations and monks require a little extra doing, but outside of that.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited April 2018
    @ZaramMaldovar

Use this instead. It's far better.
    http://www.gibberlings3.net/tweaks/

The component you're looking for is Remove Racial Restrictions for Kits in the Rule Changes subcomponent.
    mashedtaters
    @Artemius_I

Thanks, I appreciate it.

I'm one step closer now to absurd character combos like Bork the CN Dwarven Fighter/Mage
    mashedtaters
    @Skatan
    I think you're confusing Dwarves for Gnomes but yes.
    "Your kneecaps at me mercy!" lol.
    Okay, updated my tweaks and everything seems to be in order.

But Monk is still only accessible to Human, this is the only exception to the changes I made. Is something wrong or was Monk just not included?
    Monk has its own special attack animations that have only been programmed in for the human model. That's probably why.

You can make monks of other races possible, but it's a whole ordeal, and their attack animations will still look stupid.
    ThacoBell
    @Chronicler
    Fair enough.

Anyway, to be on back on subject.

Map Logic:
    Gullykin is built over Firewine Ruins, despite the fact that Firewine is clearly it's own map a sizable distance away from Gullykin. To be fair though, maybe the labrinyth of insanely narrow trap filled, kobold infested, cob-webbed filled architecturally questionable hallways are actually that long.

In which case the creator has a level of broken sanity that is only topped by the inhabitants of Ice Island in 2nd place and the creators of Spellhold holding 1st place by a wide margin.

ThacoBellProont
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    D&D Logic: A wooden club can damage someone in full plate mail without breaking.
    ArtonaThacoBellmashedtatersProont
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

@Chronicler
    Fair enough.

Anyway, to be on back on subject.

Map Logic:
    Gullykin is built over Firewine Ruins, despite the fact that Firewine is clearly it's own map a sizable distance away from Gullykin. To be fair though, maybe the labrinyth of insanely narrow trap filled, kobold infested, cob-webbed filled architecturally questionable hallways are actually that long.

In which case the creator has a level of broken sanity that is only topped by the inhabitants of Ice Island in 2nd place and the creators of Spellhold holding 1st place by a wide margin.

Firewine was built on a tesseract. Which might explain the respawning, come to think of it.
    ThacoBellmashedtatersProont
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

D&D Logic: A wooden club can damage someone in full plate mail without breaking.

Aim for the seams, Boo!
    ThacoBellBalrog99mashedtatersProont
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I always heard that full metal plate was only used as momentum increase for horse riding knights and was otherwise delibitating. Once fallen on the ground the weight prevented them from getting up, making it easy for small kids to finish the knight off with small daggers or farmers to bludgeon in the helmet with wooden clubs.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Yeah, armor wouldn't be worth much if it prevented you from defending yourself.
    mashedtatersProont
    If I remember correctly, chain mail was actually a lot more limiting than full-plate armor. Don't remember where I heard it though.
    semiticgoddess

If I remember correctly, chain mail was actually a lot more limiting than full-plate armor. Don't remember where I heard it though.

Used to have a teacher who did a bit of that stuff. Handcrafted stuff for stage plays and ren fairs and such.

Interesting thing about Chain Armor is that if you just wear it alone, blades will cause the chain links to bite into your flesh. Still quire painful and not quite harmless.

You typically want to wear chain over leather armor, or at the very least some very thick wools.
    semiticgoddessThacoBellProont
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited April 2018
    My aim was full plate metal armor. I can accept that chain mail was sort of mobile due to its flexible nature (though still heavy).

While I agree with all arguments, I find it hard to believe that an armor almost 50% my weight would allow me to move easily let alone acrobatically.
    Knights must have been seriously buffed. And people were 10-20 cm shorter than we are today. So that affects some power to body ratio I suppose. It all just does not add up somehow.

Though maybe legend, there must be some truth to the claims?