Skip to content

Baldur's Gate Logic

Comments

• Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    SethDavis said:

what happens when you use dark magic to help an old lady cross the street?

I imagine most of her parts make it across the street.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited June 2018

SethDavis said:

I imagine most of her parts make it across the street.
    And for those parts that don't, Xzar has a jar to put them in.
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910

Rapidly right-clicking people is a very good idea to do.

It's better than rapidly wrong-clicking them.

....why did I find that even remotely amusing?
    edited June 2018
    JoenSo said:

No sense left? :tongue:

(Sorry, I'll see myself out!)
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    SethDavis said:

This happens... https://youtu.be/S4eGp5t6I34

:o

JoenSo said:

No sense left? :tongue:

(Sorry, I'll see myself out!)
    That's right!
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    Sideways!
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Balrog99 said:

Household resident calls for help that he's being robbed. The guards show up. It never occurs to any of them to check out the upstairs, even though the occupant could clearly see the culprit running up the stairs!

"Sorry, sir. It's against Union regulations for us to climb stairs."

Nor do they run outside to capture the thief if the thief exits through the front door in plain sight.
    @Son_of_Imoen
    Depends on the outside. If it requires you to gather your party then they can't follow you, but if it's possible to only send one person outside then they absolutely can.

Ex:
    The Spiders in the Beregost House can follow you outside (as of BG:EE) but the Spiders in the Graveyard District Tombs can't follow you to the surface.

While we are on the subject of thievery however, what about the Watchers of Candlekeep who are willing to kill Gorion's child for the crime of petty theft. Even though it's obvious not everyone in Candlekeep likes you, I don't think Gorion is someone they would want to piss off.

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367

@Son_of_Imoen

While we are on the subject of thievery however, what about the Watchers of Candlekeep who are willing to kill Gorion's child for the crime of petty theft. Even though it's obvious not everyone in Candlekeep likes you, I don't think Gorion is someone they would want to piss off.

Other than Hull, the Watchers are all armed with staffs too. I've heard of people being caned for petty crimes but bludgeoning them to death with sticks? That's like Biblically hardcore!

Balrog99 said:

Household resident calls for help that he's being robbed. The guards show up. It never occurs to any of them to check out the upstairs, even though the occupant could clearly see the culprit running up the stairs!

"Sorry, sir. It's against Union regulations for us to climb stairs."

Nor do they run outside to capture the thief if the thief exits through the front door in plain sight.
    Too much paperwork probably. Plus they'd have to chase you while wearing splintmail. If the cops here in the US are any indication of how they are in Faerùn, I doubt they'd be able to catch anybody without suffering a major heart attack!
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    edited July 2018
    @semiticgod

Funny, I was just thinking about the cop from Simpsons.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

If you kill the Innkeeper you can't sleep in the Inn anymore. The beds are useless without him.

Have YOU tried to sleep at an inn after killing the owner?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    ThacoBell said:

If you kill the Innkeeper you can't sleep in the Inn anymore. The beds are useless without him.

Have YOU tried to sleep at an inn after killing the owner?
    Well, when the maid looted the register and made a break for it, I had a perfect scapegoat.
    @semiticgod
    And thus you unknowingly help me complete my plan of faking my death and framing that horrid maid for murder. And I would've gotten away with it too if it weren't for...Oh wait, I DID get away with it.
    Game naming logic: The game series Baldur's Gate is named for a city in which two of seven chapters of the first game take place. SoA takes place in Amn and ToB in Tethyr, hundreds of kilometers to the south.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited July 2018
    I still think the city makes sense as a title. The game starts there and at some point you get a nod to it too. All the intrigue is aimed at the city too. It is the most integral part of the story without giving away the full story.

With respect to the sequels. Fair enough. Those were named to match continuation.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416

@Proont
    Sorcerers definitely existed in 2E because they were an option in the copy of Baldur's Gate II that my parents owned. The only class added with TOB was Wild Mage.

Since 3E and BG2 were both released around 2000 and BG2 required programming time, I believe that Sorcerers must have existed in some capacity in 2E.

New Base Classes in 3rd edition that weren't in 2nd edition: Barbarian, Monk, Sorcerer.

New Base Classes in BG2 that weren't in BG1: Barbarian, Monk, Sorcerer.

You're wrong, Zaram. Those three classes were implemented as a nod towards the upcoming 3rd edition. There's no Sorcerers in 2nd edition.

As for spell components, in 3rd edition, Sorcerers and Wizards need them alike. Sorcerers more often pick up the Eschew Materials feat, which ignores material components up to 1gp. That means if they get robbed blind, they're still almost fully capable of casting their spells. Wizards could technically pick up the same feat, but it's not as useful to them. If they get robbed, they're without their spellbook.

Pathfinder (which is based on 3rd edition) gives Sorcerers Eschew Materials as a free bonus feat.
    Thels said:

@Proont
    Sorcerers definitely existed in 2E because they were an option in the copy of Baldur's Gate II that my parents owned. The only class added with TOB was Wild Mage.

Since 3E and BG2 were both released around 2000 and BG2 required programming time, I believe that Sorcerers must have existed in some capacity in 2E.

New Base Classes in 3rd edition that weren't in 2nd edition: Barbarian, Monk, Sorcerer.

New Base Classes in BG2 that weren't in BG1: Barbarian, Monk, Sorcerer.

You're wrong, Zaram. Those three classes were implemented as a nod towards the upcoming 3rd edition. There's no Sorcerers in 2nd edition.

As for spell components, in 3rd edition, Sorcerers and Wizards need them alike. Sorcerers more often pick up the Eschew Materials feat, which ignores material components up to 1gp. That means if they get robbed blind, they're still almost fully capable of casting their spells. Wizards could technically pick up the same feat, but it's not as useful to them. If they get robbed, they're without their spellbook.

Pathfinder (which is based on 3rd edition) gives Sorcerers Eschew Materials as a free bonus feat.
    The material components part of D&D explains why mages and sorcerers can't wear armour or use shields. You need all those little pockets in your robe to tuck away all the knick-knacks you need for casting spells. Imagine trying to find your pinch of ground snailshells under your full platemail.

"Damn! I thought I tucked that in my sock but I must have stuck it under my visor..."

Hmmm, now that I think about it, one could probably stick little pouches on the backside of your shield. Maybe that's why bards and fighter/mages can use them.
    @Thels
    Fair enough, I stand (or rather in this case, I sit) corrected.
    Balrog99 said:

The material components part of D&D explains why mages and sorcerers can't wear armour or use shields. You need all those little pockets in your robe to tuck away all the knick-knacks you need for casting spells. Imagine trying to find your pinch of ground snailshells under your full platemail.

"Damn! I thought I tucked that in my sock but I must have stuck it under my visor..."

Hmmm, now that I think about it, one could probably stick little pouches on the backside of your shield. Maybe that's why bards and fighter/mages can use them.

Actually, oddly enough, if you buy a spell component pouch, this pouch is considered to hold all material components you ever need that do not cost more than 1gp. This includes a variety of livng creatures, such as spiders. It also includes excrements from multiple creatures. I wonder how much casters would smell in D&D. It's another good reason for Sorcerers to pick up Eschew Materials. Otherwise, what good would that high charisma do them on social interactions?
    What's with all the poo in D&D magic?
    Thels said:

Balrog99 said:

Actually, oddly enough, if you buy a spell component pouch, this pouch is considered to hold all material components you ever need that do not cost more than 1gp. This includes a variety of livng creatures, such as spiders. It also includes excrements from multiple creatures. I wonder how much casters would smell in D&D. It's another good reason for Sorcerers to pick up Eschew Materials. Otherwise, what good would that high charisma do them on social interactions?
    'Eschew Materials' sounds like stuff that makes you sneeze. I imagine a little pouch holding black pepper, fiberglass dust, asbestos and a tiny little sun (bright sunlight makes me sneeze).
    Eschew Materials is actually a Feat. Eschew means something akin to "abstain". Effectively, the feat allows you to ignore materials costing up to 1gp (which includes the vast majority of material components).
    JoenSo said:

What's with all the poo in D&D magic?

Blood Sugar Sex Magic - why not Poo Magic?