Skip to content

Where did all the Black Talons go?

2»

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited August 2018
    swit said:

Spawn point mehanics explanation: https://gibberlings3.github.io/iesdp/file_formats/ie_formats/are_v1.htm#formAREAV1_0_Spawn
    party size is not present in this formula:

(Frequency * Average Party Level) / Creature Power
    If what @AstroBryGuy mentioned is true, IESDP info has to be updated. Maybe some Beamdog dev could share the correct formula?
    tagging @CamDawg , @Balquo and @Avenger_teambg for some clarification.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @CamDawg - Just curious, but how are the number of spawns calculated? The formula in the IESDP does appear to be incorrect. Party size certainly seems to be important, as I consistently got 1 Black Talon or 2 Bandits with just Abdel, but 6 of either with a full party.

The spawn point (AR2400 #1), does have a max of 6 spawns, so that must limit the max.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I just went back to Larswood and Pelvdale on a new run and this time Black Talons turned up in both places. I was soloing again and as @AstroBryGuy suggests it seems to be that when you are alone only one will spawn at a particular point.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    JuliusBorisov
  • WatchForWolvesWatchForWolves Member Posts: 183
    Shandyr said:

I have never played this game solo with only 1 character.

So that is my question to those of you who have done that. Is that "satisfying", fighting one single Black Talon? Is that "fun" when it even seems hard in the first place to get that one single Black Talon spawned?

No! But that's also not how it's supposed to work, as far as I remember*. Spawns should be based on the CHARNAME level only, but in Enhanced Edition I am 90% sure they are also based on party size.

In fact, I used to do a little trick when soloing in EE: accept an NPC into your party, level them up then kill them - but leave them in your party still dead. This way you get the party size and average level factors both up, which results in more difficult spawns, while still keeping the game solo.

There was also a mod someone made that makes spawns scale with just the CHARNAME level, but the execution was less than ideal - normally creatures spawn just out of your line of sight, but when using the mod they often spawned in your line of sight.

As far as difficulty goes, I think this only affects new content from Beamdog, because I think original games(especially BG1/2, less sure about ToB) did not scale spawns with difficulty.

* - admittely, most of what I remember about the BG is from TuTu, which was its own brand of craziness... Dread Wolves or 3x Black Bear spawns straight out of Candlekeep sure was something.