Skip to content

Tales of the Harbingers: Throne of the Undying

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    edited September 2018
    Edit: Whoops, I’ll wait.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    "How long will you stay transformed Vaga? What of when Ixion notices your absense? I'm against this, and will be no part of it."
    *Fiora heads off to bed, more than a little surly. She will rise early to set out towards the sappers*
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    *Nanna watches Fiora go to bed.*

Even for a Paladin she really is a stickler picking who to save and what truth to follow... Lets sleep while the town burns...

*Nanna goes and finds Vaga to set off.*

ThacoBell said:

*Fiora heads off to bed, more than a little surly. She will rise early to set out towards the sappers*

I mean, it’s kinda morning still...
    And so, the party heads out, taking the fastest route to the location of the sappers. As night falls, they spot the group coming over the horizon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    Nimran said:

And so, the party heads out, taking the fastest route to the location of the sappers. As night falls, they spot the group coming over the horizon.

Ignatius, seeing the party's indecision (once again), casts Alter Self on himself and turns into an orc warrior. He then casts Invisibility on himself and hovers to where the group of sappers is. He goes amidst them, and tries to listen to anything they might be talking about. While there, he also looks around for Ixion. What does he see and hear?
    I miss @mashedtaters...
    Ignatius: Perception check: 8+4=12

Ignatius doesn’t see the scorpionman anywhere, but as he mingles with the orc sappers, he hears some of them speaking about their plan to reach the walls by midday tomorrow. They plan to sneak inside the walls earlier then planned because they cannot wait for the main force to arrive before they start. These orcs all seem to be young and impetuous, all too eager to start fighting.
    Ignatius (not having broken his Invisibility which he had cast earlier), seeing that the scorpionman is not anywhere with the group of sappers, hovers off to some nearby cover (bush or boulder) and transforms into Ixion. He then strides authoritatively some distance in front of the marching group of orcs, and orders them: "Halt! Plans have changed and we move to the other side of the town. Human town is too weak and has no need of sapping. We join main force now. March onwards!"
    @Shandyr This is the slowest the thread has been since starting, but some of us have said they will be absent for stretches of time going in. Hopefully everyone comes back soon. @Nimran Gotta get that rest before setting out, no matter the time!

*Fiora talks with the party while travelling*

"Okay, we need a plan. I don't really have any experience with large scale battles, sigh, if only Cyrus was here. Do any of you know anything of military tactics? No doubt Ignatius is already among the sappers."
    So Ignatius casts the spell... and sees that he now has a scorpion tail, but no other change. It seems that Alter Self is limited to adding limbs at the most, rather than changing an entire half of his body.
    Nimran said:

So Ignatius casts the spell... and sees that he now has a scorpion tail, but no other change. It seems that Alter Self is limited to adding limbs at the most, rather than changing an entire half of his body.

@Nimran From what I've read in the reference site page, this isn't how the spell is supposed to work. :/ The description doesn't state anything like that at all.

Quoting from the site which we are using as a reference:

You acquire the physical qualities of the new form while retaining your own mind. Physical qualities include natural size, mundane movement capabilities (such as burrowing, climbing, walking, swimming, and flight with wings, to a maximum speed of 120 feet for flying or 60 feet for nonflying movement), natural armor bonus, natural weapons (such as claws, bite, and so on), racial skill bonuses, racial bonus feats, and any gross physical qualities (presence or absence of wings, number of extremities, and so forth). A body with extra limbs does not allow you to make more attacks (or more advantageous two-weapon attacks) than normal.

The full description is here.
    And here we have an important distinction between 3e and 3.5e rules, which I said that I was using 3e rules for spells, rather than 3.5e.

The 3e spell description is as follows:
    3e SRD:Alter Self
    This material is published under the OGL
    Alter Self
    Transmutation
    Level: Sor/Wiz 2
    Components: V, S
    Casting time: 1 action
    Range: Personal
    Target: The character
    Duration: 10 minutes/level (D)
    The character can alter the character's appearance and form-including clothing and equipment-to appear taller or shorter, thin, fat, or in between. The assumed form must be corporeal. The character's body can undergo a limited physical transmutation, including adding or subtracting one or two limbs, and the character's weight can be changed up to one-half. If the form selected has wings, the character can fly at a speed of 30 feet with poor maneuverability. If the form has gills, the character can breathe underwater.
    The character's attack rolls, natural armor bonus, and saves do not change. The spell does not confer special abilities, attack forms, defenses, ability scores, or mannerisms of the chosen form. Once the new form is chosen, it remains for the duration of the spell. If the character is slain, the character automatically returns to the character's normal form.
    If the character uses this spell to create a disguise, the character gets a +10 bonus on the character's Disguise check.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Nimran said:

You’re not alone in thinking that, @Shandyr. I must admit, I am also quite surprised at how much slower this thread has been progressing lately. It looks like we’re down two people who would normally do a lot of posting themselves.
    [Spoiler]We always have a lull between quests. It gets exciting when the enemies arrive.[/spoiler]
    "As much as I hate to say it, Orcs usually aren't very receptive to diplomacy. I think our options are either to scare them away, or herd them away and pick at them in small skirmishes."
    "Ignatius! Any cover you can see? I don't relish the idea of fighting in the open."
    If you had looked at him directly, and committed his facial features to memory, then you can change your face to match his. Essentially, you’d need to know what the specific person or creature looks like if you wanted to take the form of someone specific. Otherwise, people who have seen him before would instantly know it isn’t him. The spell certainly allows you to do that if you have that knowledge.