Skip to content

Baldur's Gate Logic

Comments

• ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    I'm not comfortable with the direction my thread is taking with the Golem discussion. Please stop

As far as the arrows go, I can confirm with 100% certainty that Hobgoblin Elites never carry any poison arrows and yet somehow still poison my party members.

And as backstab goes? Pff, I still go with my (albeit poorly adviced) strategy of simply hitting things until they die.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391

I'm not comfortable with the direction my thread is taking with the Golem discussion. Please stop

Fair enough.

Baldur's Gate Logic: A dude with no eyes named Gaal tells people they can solve their problems by following him into the sewers and then gouging out their eyes. People go along with it.
    I mean, I'm pretty sure there are stories of real life cults with similarly self destructive behaviors. Classically there's the one that drank the poison kool-aid in a suicide pact.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited October 2018
    Numerous ways of expressing ones beliefs and such historically as among different cultures.

Some of those ways look downright like self-mutilation as well.

People do weird things=p
    That being said, I think we can all agree Cult of the Eyeless is a good quest.

Speaking of poking fun at this quest:
    I can't remember his name, but he's supposed to be an inside guy who will help you if you say "The Eye is Blind"

However, if you attack the cult before hand, he will actually fight with you on the side of the cult instead of helping you or fleeing.

I guess that's some deep cover.
    @OlvynChuru
    Oh I'm well aware of that, it's still hilarious to poke fun at though.
    edited October 2018
    How about this one?

It's fun to think about how self-aware the characters can be sometimes.

"Dorn Il-Khan. The time has come for you to pay the price for your perfidy"

Neera: Yeesh who writes your dialogue, Baeloth?
  • MonoCanallaMonoCanalla Member Posts: 291

Keeping around a rabbit foot gives you some of the best bonuses of any item in the game, yet for some reason Alora is the only person who has thought to use one. Did you know that if Alora had multiple rabbit feet equipped, the effects would stack? So why doesn't everyone go on rabbit killing sprees for all the feet? I'm surprised rabbits haven't gone extinct in the Forgotten Realms.

It works in her because she believes in it. That’s how it works.

I don't think lucky charms work like that. Like obviously Alora's rabbit's foot is fantastically lucky but I don't think you could just grab any rabbit's foot and expect the same results. Some rabbit's feet are probably luckier than others.
    Balrog99 said:

I don't think lucky charms work like that. Like obviously Alora's rabbit's foot is fantastically lucky but I don't think you could just grab any rabbit's foot and expect the same results. Some rabbit's feet are probably luckier than others.

Wouldn't rabbit's feet be from the 'unlucky' rabbits? I mean, a 'lucky' rabbit would still HAVE all their feet...
    That's why it's so hard to find good ones. The luckiest rabbits tend to escape capture.
    The rabbit's foot is obviously enchanted.

That's how it works. Seriously, I think you're just missing that obvious point.
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    Or maybe all rabbits are enchanted and it's just difficult to remove their feet with the enchantment intact. And morbid to carry around the whole rabbit.
    Alora: Xzar...why do you have a dead rabbit hanging from your neck?
    Xzar: Why whatever do you mean, child?
    Alora: You have a dead rabbit hanging from your neck, it's starting to stink up the place.
    Tiax: TIAX TAKES OFFENSE TO YOUR ODOR, SLAVE!
    Alora: See...it's even bothering Tiax
    Xzar: I simply assumed that if a rabbit's foot is lucky, then perhaps the entire rabbit will make me quite fortunate indeed, though I may have kept some of the parts for...experimentation
    Alora: ....
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    In over 20 years, the debates have little changed
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    I had a save game right after finishing the circus tent in BG2EE so I thought I'd ctrl 'Q' Quayle into the party and check him out. He has the exact same stats he had in BG so there's no increase in wisdom over those months. You'd think that kind of change of personality for the better would be rewarded like Anomen with a boost to his pathetic wisdom score...
    I always got the impression that Quayle was just one of those guys who's a better father than a boyfriend. He'll perv on married women and such but he does good by his daughter.
  • WatchForWolvesWatchForWolves Member Posts: 183

Baldur's Gate Logic: A dude with no eyes named Gaal tells people they can solve their problems by following him into the sewers and then gouging out their eyes. People go along with it.

Even better, he does it by telling them to follow the One True God literally seconds after telling them all gods are fake because "what did they ever do to you".

He also says that clerics are not a proof because mages also cast spells. Come on! You can't cast arcane spells in full plate! Read a damn Dungeon Master's Handbook sometime!
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352

@WatchForWolves
    You are forgetting that regular commoners aren't exactly the most intelligent people.

Well, the average INT is said to be 10 and it takes 9 to read. Being intelligent and being enlightened is not always the same thing though. Perhaps this particular crowd have a low WIS score on average? :)
    @Skatan
    Possibly and just because you can read doesn't mean you're intelligent. Everyone I ever went to school with could read but not all of them were the smartest folks around.

On the other side of the coin I would consider myself fairly intelligent but I'm terrible at math and I'm not always a very insightful person.

My INT is probably somewhere around 10 or 11 but my Wisdom is probably more like 8 or 9 tops.
    I suspect that reading is a bit more of a specialized skill in the realms though, since there's no public education or anything. In our society everybody learns to read as a matter of course, barring exceptional circumstances, but I don't think that's how it is in the realms.

If I recall some of the forgotten realms novels will have a lot of signs use pictures and stuff. Like The Splurging Sturgeon would have a picture of a splurging sturgeon out front instead of the written words, because not everybody can read.
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    FORK
    Not usable by Priests

So... chopsticks?