Skip to content

Favorite and least favorite class/kit

So we have those couple of fun topics like this and I thought this might be another interesting question to ask around here. I'm honestly not sure what I'll be seeing here. I especially wonder what people dislike the most, honestly :smiley:

If you strongly favor dual / multiclass characters: honorable mentions are off course alright but let's try to keep the main event on the singles.

Worst (probably):
I've several kits I've never played with. Probably never will but damn if beast master doesn't sound like the personal worst experience for me. I know for sure that no matter how many hours I might have left with this game over lord knows how many years I'm never going to make one of those. 3 animal summoning spells, and they all come along a little too late and basically when they've lived their usefulness you've just a ranger who can't use any metal stuff left. Not that they'd be very useful in the first place since you get them all a little too late. Maybe I'm wrong and it's a total beast (pun intended) but I'm honestly never even going to touch that because rangers aren't really my thing to begin with either.

I wrote half a book on my favorite but I realized I need to make it smaller and unfortunately I've got some IRL interference right now to take my attention off of it for a while. I'll post that later but I wanted to get this out there to see what people post.
ThacoBellGusindaPermidion_StarkBlackravenJuliusBorisovOrlonKronsteen

Comments

• GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    The class I like most would have to be the Thief or anything with a thief flavour (would also inlcude the Stalker). FMT for solo.

For the worst class, I would have to say the Monk.
    ThacoBellJuliusBorisovOrlonKronsteen
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Something to keep in mind about Beastmasters: although they can't use a lot of good melee weapons, they can still use longbows, which are among the best weapons in BG1.

They're still really lame in BG1. Their main feature is to get special low-level versions of the Animal Summoning spells, but that doesn't matter in BG1 because they can't even start casting spells until so late in the game.

My favorite kit for BG1 is the Invoker. Being able to cast multiple -4 save Webs on a group of creatures and then cast multiple -2 save Fireballs on the paralyzed creatures is so great. I think I like Dynaheir more than Edwin now.
    GusindaJuliusBorisovOrlonKronsteen
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    Ok, my fav kit is Cavalier... even if i'm not a Cavalier in my heart, i'm more a fighter/thief.

Least fav is... Wild Mage. Ok, kill me, but i'm a square and i can't accept that if i'm doing everything right the bad luck can fuck up everything. Even if i never played "no reload" i usually accept the consequences of wrong planning without reloading, and i can't stand that cows can kill everybody just because.
    Don't misunderstand me, it's totally funny, but not if i play it myself
    JuliusBorisovGusindaLammasOrlonKronsteen
  • EanwulfEanwulf Member Posts: 1
    @ThacoBell What mod allows you to build a fighter/bard?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Eanwulf Might and Guile. It has 3 fighter/bard kits. That mod also changes some rules stuff around just as a warning. Bards get sorceror style spell casting, all single classed rogues get feats every few levels, etc. Its like a pseudo 2e-3e hybrid.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    I am not sure what my favorite would be. I like so many of the classes and kits. My least favorite, however, would be the Beastmaster kit for Ranger. All it really gets are a few spells that are pretty much "meh" once you get to the level where you can cast them, and a hugely crushing disadvantage in exchange that is in no way worth the "gains" of the kit. I honestly think that this is the one and only kit that has no purpose in life.
    Lammas[Deleted User]
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    Favourite:

1. Sorcerer (actually Paladin/Sorcerer, if it existed)
    2. Fighter/Mage
    3. Ranger/Cleric ("unfixed" one)

Least favourite:

Can't say yet, haven't tried many!
    ThacoBellGusindaOrlonKronsteen
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    My favorite kit would have to be the inquisitor. Being able to dispel magic at 2x his level turns a risky proposition (casting dispel magic) into a sure thing and marks him as one of the strongest characters in the game.

Least favorite would have to be the wild mage, solely because they can wipe away hard-earned gold in the blink of an eye.

OrlonKronsteenGusinda