Skip to content

Baldurs Gate Meme Thread II: Enhanced Edition (Careful, everyone, SPOILERS!)

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975

mlneveseBalrog99Montresor_SP
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309

I seriously don't understand how people pull these off.

On anything higher than Easy I'm liable to get wrecked by Tarnesh of all things and it always takes me at least 2 tries to beat Sarevok or Irenicus and a dozen to beat Belhefit
    Montresor_SPlolienwoogirlmashedtaters
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975

I seriously don't understand how people pull these off.

On anything higher than Easy I'm liable to get wrecked by Tarnesh of all things and it always takes me at least 2 tries to beat Sarevok or Irenicus and a dozen to beat Belhefit

Montresor_SPmlnevese
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    You're right... this time Aliens are involved...
    Montresor_SPsarevok57
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428

Blue.
    Montresor_SP
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    And that's why when I play these games I just get whatever default character is available and don't think about it anymore :)
    ThacoBellsarevok57Balrog99Blackraven

I posted this over in off-topic, but I think it fits here, too. It made me think of all the discussions we've had about stat-rolling on the character screen in BG.

I spend 2 hours reloading the stats.
    mlneveseBelgarathMTHThacoBellBlackraven
    sarevok57 said:

Power gaming for life. That's one of the reasons i like 3rd and 5th edition more than 2nd
    sarevok57
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903

Ironically, that last one was the dumbest decision I've ever made in Baldur's Gate. Easily the most stressful run I've ever had, and the least fun run I've ever completed.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMagemlneveseThacoBellMontresor_SP
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957

I'd kind of like to make or see a mod, call it "LoB Lite", that isn't quite as punishing as LoB.

I'm thinking straight double HP, +2 levels, saves, and THAC0, +1/2 APR, no extra damage or damage resistance, no immunity to morale failure.

And combine with Ascension+Tactics+SCS+more.

Basically, I'd like enemies that are TOUGHER physically punching bags without totally neutering save or else spells.

Ascension, and SCS make the boss fights tougher with triple HP, but not all of them. I have an install where Thax the shadow dragon (DRAGSHAD) has the vanilla 160 HP but Nizi the Black has triple HP, as do Adalon, Firkraag, and vanilla ToB dragons.

I'd like to see ALL the critters boosted uniformly, but not to the point in LoB where it breaks the game.
    semiticgoddessmlnevese

Every western RPG in a nutshell
    sarevok57mlneveseZaramMaldovar
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957

I'd kind of like to make or see a mod, call it "LoB Lite", that isn't quite as punishing as LoB.

I'm thinking straight double HP, +2 levels, saves, and THAC0, +1/2 APR, no extra damage or damage resistance, no immunity to morale failure.

And combine with Ascension+Tactics+SCS+more.

Basically, I'd like enemies that are TOUGHER physically punching bags without totally neutering save or else spells.

Ascension, and SCS make the boss fights tougher with triple HP, but not all of them. I have an install where Thax the shadow dragon (DRAGSHAD) has the vanilla 160 HP but Nizi the Black has triple HP, as do Adalon, Firkraag, and vanilla ToB dragons.

I'd like to see ALL the critters boosted uniformly, but not to the point in LoB where it breaks the game.
    Edit-And found a mod to do almost everything I want.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/62321/mod-tougherenemies-tweak-1-0#latest

Covers HP, saves, THAC0, AC, and APR (though if I'm reading it right, I think it's kind of buggy if the target has half attacks).

The only thing it doesn't have I'm after is +levels, and that's mostly for tilting dispel in the enemy's favor.

mlnevese
    edited November 2018
    When you're roleplaying a Half-orc with 1 Intelligence and Charisma:

Daevelonsarevok57

When you're roleplaying a Half-orc with 1 Intelligence and Charisma:

Barney is more half-orcish than Moe imo.
    sarevok57

''Sarevok tries to make an effective disguise.

Calls himself Koveras.''
    sarevok57mlneveseThacoBellMontresor_SP

Blood Wine? Do Klingons exist in the Forgotten Realms universe?
    Stupid? Nah I prefer to think Gorion is just that badass.

I mean look at how he handled Sarevok's ambush...Sarevok got a lucky hit.

He went toe to toe with Firkragg in his youth, that's not an easy task.

"Step aside and you and your lackeys will be...unhurt"

Proceeds to destroy all lackeys, subdue Tamoko and hit Sarevok with an onslaught of spells before a combination of his exhaustion, old age and Sarevok's lucky swing did him in.

If Sarevok fought Gorion in his prime, the old mage would wipe the floor with him.
    ThacoBellBlackravenSjerrieSardoCZ

Stupid? Nah I prefer to think Gorion is just that badass.

I mean look at how he handled Sarevok's ambush...Sarevok got a lucky hit.

He went toe to toe with Firkragg in his youth, that's not an easy task.

"Step aside and you and your lackeys will be...unhurt"

Proceeds to destroy all lackeys, subdue Tamoko and hit Sarevok with an onslaught of spells before a combination of his exhaustion, old age and Sarevok's lucky swing did him in.

If Sarevok fought Gorion in his prime, the old mage would wipe the floor with him.

Does Gorion have official stats?
    @ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
    I don't know. Let me check

According to the Wiki he is LG and Level 9

Str: 11 Dex: 15 Con: 12 Int: 18 Wis: 16 Char: 14

In other words, a passable party member for Baldur's Gate II or Siege of Dragonspear.

However I have a hard time believing that this is the case inside the canon of the game, because Baldur's Gate hints at Gorion's exploits when he was younger.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    In the EE version of the fight, Gorion falls because Tamoko casts a successful Dispel Magic against his Stoneskins. No-reloaders know any number of ways to avoid such a downfall, including Spell Immunity: Abjuration and various illusion spells such as Improved Invisibility, Mislead, and Project Image. All the necessary spells could have been instantly cast via sequencers and contingencies.

The sad fact is that Gorion dies because the plot demands that he die, and it makes him look like a bad mage any way you cut it. A mage as high level and experienced as Gorion is supposed to have been has at least a dozen different ways he could have won that encounter.
    mashedtatersleeux
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Except that Gorion is a high enough level that he seems to shrug off the dispel more often than not, the cutscene simply dispels his protections when Tamoko casts her spell. If it was done in game, I'd say Gorion would have above a 50% chance of winning the fight. Sadly in D&D, as well as real life, you can get unlucky. The ambush does a good job of showing that even being stronger or more prepared doesn't guarantee success.
    mashedtaters

@ShapiroKeatsDarkMage

In other words, a passable party member for Baldur's Gate II or Siege of Dragonspear.

However I have a hard time believing that this is the case inside the canon of the game, because Baldur's Gate hints at Gorion's exploits when he was younger.

Doesn't make much sense. How can a level 9 wizard give trouble to an adult Red Dragon like Firhkraaag?

@ShapiroKeatsDarkMage

Doesn't make much sense. How can a level 9 wizard give trouble to an adult Red Dragon like Firhkraaag?
    Gorion was with other Harpers, according to Firkraag, so he wasn't soloing the dragon. A level 9 party would be able to at least give Firkraag the "scars" he mentioned, even if the attack ultimately ended in failure.

If he was going solo, he'd have a small chance of actually winning the fight: pre-buff with Protection from Fire, Stoneskin, and Mirror Image, then cast Greater Malison and Feeblemind.
    ThacoBellShapiroKeatsDarkMagemashedtaters
    edited November 2018
    ThacoBell said:

The ambush does a good job of showing that even being stronger or more prepared doesn't guarantee success.

Oldschool AD&D in a nutshell.
    ThacoBell