Skip to content

Famous Quotes and laws of reality...

Comments

• LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Montresor_SPmlneveseBalrog99Proont
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214

The absent are never without fault. Nor the present without excuse.
    -- Benjamin Franklin

ProontStummvonBordwehr

mlneveseProont
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    That's kind of a gloomy message when you think about it. If people don't appreciate it when you do the right thing and only care when you screw up, there's little reason to take risks.
    mlneveseProontArvia
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    It’s flawed a different way as well.

If let’s say it said 9x6 = 53 it might have taken the students awhile to grasp that it was wrong.

It’s a laughable mistake because it is an obvious one and one where a person who is teaching the subject should not make.

So the moral of the story is don’t make an obvious mistake that can be easily critiqued even if you can demonstrate more complex problems
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367

I think the real lesson here is that the school teacher was wrong for trying to teach students a lesson.

I thought that was what teachers do?
    mashedtaters
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Most people wouldn't know subtlety if it came up and hit them in the face with a wet kipper
     - Joe Strummer
    mlneveseThacoBellProont

We've arranged a global civilization in which most crucial elementsm profoundly depend on science and technology. We have arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology.

This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.

-- Carl Sagan, in The Demon Haunted World; Science as a Candle in the Dark

ProontAmmarArvia
    Not quite a law of reality. Maybe a reality Check.

Rent/Mortgage is supposed to be equal to 1/4 of your income per month. The average rent across the US is $1419 a month (in December of last year). This means $5676 a month at roughly 4 times that in income. If a "normal" workweek is 40 hours per weeks, that's near $36 an hour.

However, the Federal Minimum wage is still $7.25 an hour for non-tipped workers and $2.13 for tipped workers like waiters and waitresses. How do you pay for a house/apartment on that?

ProontAmmar
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    mlnevese said:

We've arranged a global civilization in which most crucial elementsm
    profoundly depend on science and technology. We have arranged things so
    that almost no one understands science and technology.

This is a
    prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but
    sooner or later this mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up
    in our faces.

-- Carl Sagan, in The Demon Haunted World; Science as a Candle in the Dark

That's interesting but "We have arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology." Isn't really true. Anyone can study basic technology and science online. For free.
    LadyRhian said:

Not quite a law of reality. Maybe a reality Check.

Rent/Mortgage is supposed to be equal to 1/4 of your income per month. The average rent across the US is $1419 a month (in December of last year). This means $5676 a month at roughly 4 times that in income. If a "normal" workweek is 40 hours per weeks, that's near $36 an hour.

However, the Federal Minimum wage is still $7.25 an hour for non-tipped workers and $2.13 for tipped workers like waiters and waitresses. How do you pay for a house/apartment on that?

Why should the minimum wage pay for an average rent??
    Because people are trying to survive on that. Witness the Morgan Spurlock series "30 days" and the episode "Minimum Wage".
    ThacoBell
    edited February 2019
    LadyRhian said:

Because people are trying to survive on that. Witness the Morgan Spurlock series "30 days" and the episode "Minimum Wage".

Right, but if you're making minimum wage you should probably be looking for a place with minimum rent.

As a curiosity do you happen to know if the 1/4 is "supposed" to be before or after tax? I'm on the wrong side of that after tax.
    mlnevese said:

The problem is that science teaching was made boring. Ask any kid what are the most disliked subjects in school. Chemistry, physics and math will be at the top.

Now show me a child that does not want to know why the sky is blue or why fire is hot. Something is deeply wrong in the way science is being taught if this natural curiosity is dead by the time that young child starts being taught science in school.
    Actually my kids found history to be the most boring class. How is that even possible?
    mlnevese
    What can I say... to me it borders insanity when I see someone trying to discredit science using a phone and the internet to do it...
    FinneousPJProontArvia
    mlnevese said:

The problem is that science teaching was made boring. Ask any kid what are the most disliked subjects in school. Chemistry, physics and math will be at the top.

Now show me a child that does not want to know why the sky is blue or why fire is hot. Something is deeply wrong in the way science is being taught if this natural curiosity is dead by the time that young child starts being taught science in school.
    They only want to know the answers until you start explaining the science, however. After a few minutes their eyes start glazing over and they're like , "Oh, nevermind."
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Science was always my favorite subject, I could never get enough of biology. I even took two separate biology classes in high school because I wanted more of it. But even then, teaching style and curriculum play HEAVILY in something being interesting or not. It was possible to even bore me if the subject was handled poorly.
    Balrog99Proont
    edited February 2019
    Right, but if you're making minimum wage you should probably be looking for a place with minimum rent. As a curiosity do you happen to know if the 1/4 is "supposed" to be before or after tax? I'm on the wrong side of that after tax.
    "Rent generally should not be more than 25 percent of your gross monthly salary," says Andy Solari, Realtor Associate at Re/Max Carrier Realtors in Brigantine, New Jersey. "If an individual's income is $4,000 a month, then the rent should be no higher than $1,000."

So I am assuming before. Sometimes, you can't even afford minimum rent. You also have to buy food, And getting sick can wipe out any savings you might have had. That happens to Morgan and his girlfriend in the episode.

Edited to add this quote...
    "I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops."- Stephen Jay Gould
    Post edited by LadyRhian on
    ProontFinneousPJThacoBell
    Oh yeah thanks. Guess I have to scrounge up some more income!
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    edited February 2019
    mlnevese said:
    Something is deeply wrong in the way science is being taught if this natural curiosity is dead by the time that young child starts being taught science in school.
    A lot of it is the teachers. A lot of college students majoring in history, social science, etc, want to teach it in schools. In math and science, they want to do it, not teach it.

mlneveseThacoBell
    Sometimes, once you begin to hate, it's hard to stop again.
    Proont