Skip to content

Faiths and Powers: Gods of the Realms (Kitpack and divine caster/spell tweaks)

Comments

• gohanf22gohanf22 Member Posts: 99
    gohanf22 wrote: »
    He has no kit. Its just fighter/priest unlike jaheira which is druid of silvanus. And i just added him to party so he hasnt got any new levels yet.

If he has not kit then he should have the "select deity" innate ability? Use that to make him a cleric of Helm (or whatever) and he will get spells.

If he doesn't have the select deity innate then you can give it to him in the console - I think it's called "b_dom00"

Is that used like the same ability icon that your character uses for him/her bhaalspawn abilities?
    edited February 2019
    Ok well I found out you were right it was a deity problem, however, the icon say invalid with a number at the end of them for the choices of deity. I have no idea why.

Edit: Found the problem and its working fine now. If anyone uses this mod, they must know not to use the multi class functions in gibberlings tweak mod cause what happens is it causes an Invalid thing to happen for when choosing a deity. Just for your information.
    Post edited by gohanf22 on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited February 2019
    gohanf22 wrote: »
    Edit: Found the problem and its working fine now. If anyone uses this mod, they must know not to use the multi class functions in gibberlings tweak mod cause what happens is it causes an Invalid thing to happen for when choosing a deity. Just for your information.

Wait, what? Which component are you talking about?

Oh, if it's the "humans can multiclass" component, you don't need that, FnP slready allows humans to multiclass.

Yeah I turned it off and uninstalled it but I just picked up Viconia and she has no diety available to her to get spells so she is ALSO blank with no spells. This one I am unsure how to fix.

Edit: What it says when trying to pick a deity for viconia it says "NO VALID REPLIES OR LINKS" to choose and then closes and can't use it anymore. Am I supposed to have something else installed for her to have a deity to choose?
    Post edited by gohanf22 on
    edited February 2019
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    I kind of think we need to force NPCs into a kit. And just forget the deity ability... it seems like it's causing more issues than it's solving.

We can do the obvious ones - Anomen = Helm, Viconia = Shar, Sirene = Ilmater, etc. And for any mod NPCs we don't know about, assign one of the three vanilla kits based on the character's alignment. If a player wants to customize it more than that, they can simply use Level 1 NPCs or NPC_EE.

... Wait.

Is there any reason to deny spells to unkitted priests anymore? We can just give unkitted clerics a simple sphere list. No spells for unkitted clerics is a relic of the pre-2.0 time when the deity dialogue was the only way to choose a multiclass kit. Right? Maybe we can re-think this...
    I'm hoping that it won't be hard to externalize the strings for the names of each sphere to variables that we can plug into the function...

I have this done locally. Yay! :smiley:

Also, it looks like we weren't patching the sphere designation in the spells themselves...? Should be able to plug that in as well. (Though, it will only work for those using English as their language.)

EDIT - also, now that Project Infinity is out there, and maybe close to displacing BWS, I think soon we can break up the main component from
    [install everything]

to separate
    [install clerics]
    [install druids]
    [install paladins]
    [install rangers]

components.

So how should I fix the no spells in book thing with viconia then? Just wait for an updated version of mod or what?
    edited February 2019
    edited February 2019
  • GawainBSGawainBS Member Posts: 523
    edited February 2019
    Hey guys. I wanted to chime in that this might be a good opportunity to document everything? It's pretty hard to decide on a kit if you barely know what a kit does or what sphere/proficiencies it grants.

You're doing an awesome job and these mods (I count F&P, T&B, SoB & M&G as one "set") make the IE games even more worth playing through.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Okay, I have this working pretty nicely so far. You can drop a .tpa file into the override folder that follows the pattern of the new 2E sphere system file, and FnP will use your alternate sphere system instead of ours.

The file begins with the ability to name your spheres, and tell the code which FnP sphere corresponds to each of yours, for back-end processing. In the 2E file, it looks like this:
    ACTION_DEFINE_ASSOCIATIVE_ARRAY sphere_name_changes BEGIN
    	Life 			=> Healing
    	Death 			=> Necromancy
    	Benediction 		=> All
    	Destruction 		=> Combat
    	Protection 		=> Protection
    	War 			=> War
    	Exploration 		=> Travelers
    	Knowledge 		=> Divination
    	Deception 		=> Wards
    	Thought 		=> Thought
    	Dread 			=> Charm
    	Vigor 			=> Law
    	Affliction 		=> Chaos
    	Animal 			=> Animal
    	Plant 			=> Plant
    	Earth 			=> Earth
    	Air 			=> Air
    	Water 			=> Water
    	Fire 			=> Fire
    	Light 			=> Sun
    	Shadow 			=> Shadow
    	Magic 			=> Weather
    	Perdition 		=> Summoning
    END

Then you can define which spells go into your spheres, and thanks to the definitions you just made, you can use your new sphere names instead of the FnP names. So instead of this:
    //  LIFE 
    CLERIC_CURE_LIGHT_WOUNDS               , 1 => Life 
    CLERIC_CURE_MODERATE_WOUNDS            , 2 => Life
    CLERIC_CURE_MEDIUM_WOUNDS              , 3 => Life
    CLERIC_CURE_SERIOUS_WOUNDS             , 4 => Life

You can have this:
    //  "Healing"
    CLERIC_CURE_LIGHT_WOUNDS               , 1 => Healing 
    CLERIC_CAUSE_LIGHT_WOUNDS              , 1 => Healing
    CLERIC_CURE_MODERATE_WOUNDS            , 2 => Healing
    CLERIC_CAUSE_MODERATE_WOUNDS           , 2 => Healing
    CLERIC_SLOW_POISON                     , 1 => Healing 
    CLERIC_CURE_MEDIUM_WOUNDS              , 3 => Healing
    CLERIC_CAUSE_MEDIUM_WOUNDS             , 3 => Healing
    CLERIC_EXALTATION                      , 3 => Healing
    CLERIC_CURE_SERIOUS_WOUNDS             , 4 => Healing
    CLERIC_CAUSE_SERIOUS_WOUNDS            , 4 => Healing
    CLERIC_NEUTRALIZE_POISON               , 4 => Healing 
    CLERIC_POISON                          , 4 => Healing

(The Healing sphere in 2E PnP is deeper than the FnP sphere of Life. It gets all the Cause Wounds spells. Of course this is of dubious value since, I've never once cast any of those spells...)

This is great! The next step, which is going to be SUPER tedious, is cutting and pasting all of the kit sphere access assignments into this file. There's a wrinkle there, because they look like this:
    LAF ~DEFINE_FNP_KIT_INFO~
      INT_VAR
    	u_leather_armor 	= 1
    	u_chain_armor 		= 0
    	u_plate_armor 		= 0
    	u_club_staff	 	= 1
    	u_hammers	 	= 0
    	u_maces 	 	= 0
    	u_flails 		= 0
    	u_axes 			= 0
    	u_daggers 		= 1
    	u_short_swords		= 0
    	u_long_swords		= 0
    	u_scimitars 		= 0
    	u_katanas 		= 0
    	u_bastard_swords 	= 0
    	u_2hand_swords 		= 0
    	u_halberds 		= 0
    	u_spears 	 	= 1
    	u_darts 		= 1
    	u_slings	 	= 1
    	u_bows 			= 1
    	u_crossbows 		= 0
      STR_VAR
        clab_name 		= ~d5dlost~
    	class 			= ~druid~
    	s_Life 			= ~minor~
    	s_Death 		= ~major~
    	s_Benediction 		= ~x~
    	s_Destruction 		= ~x~
    	s_Protection 		= ~x~
    	s_War 			= ~x~
    	s_Exploration   	= ~minor~
    	s_Knowledge 		= ~minor~
    	s_Deception 		= ~x~
    	s_Thought 		= ~minor~
    	s_Dread 		= ~x~
    	s_Vigor 		= ~major~
    	s_Affliction 		= ~minor~
    	s_Animal 		= ~major~
    	s_Plant 		= ~major~
    	s_Earth 		= ~major~
    	s_Water 		= ~major~
    	s_Air 			= ~major~
    	s_Fire 			= ~minor~
    	s_Light 		= ~x~
    	s_Shadow 		= ~minor~
    	s_Magic 		= ~x~
    	s_Perdition     	= ~x~
     END

All those lines with "s_Life" etc. use the base FnP sphere names. It would be nice, for aesthetic and ease-of-editing reasons, if alternate sphere systems could use their own sphere names there instead. But that might be tricky because those variables are passed directly into the backend code. I'll look into whether I can add a little function to convert the sphere names in between.

Finally, on the subject of the 2E spheres... you can see in the spoilered code above that the FnP sphere of Perdition is being replaced by the old 2E sphere of Summoning. But, the sphere of Summoning is kind of stupid. It's just a bunch of summon spells that already belong to other spheres. I'm kind of inclined to instead change it to the sphere of Astral, but with a very broad definition of "Astral." Basically, a sphere for spells dealing with extraplanar effects and spirits. In other words, the BGEE special Shaman spells plus a couple others. In other other words, more or less very similar to the FnP sphere of Perdition. Thoughts?

I'm also going to make a few changes to the other spheres, pulling some spells out of Combat and Protection and other overstuffed spheres, and adding some spells to All, Wards, Law, Chaos, Travelers, etc. I might use a wizard spell here and there, though not as much as the FnP spheres use.

This is great! Just beautiful! I'll actually use this for the 'conservative' version by copying over the relevant files early in the install.
    GawainBS wrote: »
    Hey guys. I wanted to chime in that this might be a good opportunity to document everything? It's pretty hard to decide on a kit if you barely know what a kit does or what sphere/proficiencies it grants.

You're doing an awesome job and these mods (I count F&P, T&B, SoB & M&G as one "set") make the IE games even more worth playing through.

Agreed. I'll be able to do just that when creating the conservative version as I'll be using the new system.

I'll write up a thing describing exactly how to use it. And, I'll make a point to do the same with the kits. I've been working on the readme for newly added spells, so new spell descriptions will also be included. I'll be extracting the spell descriptions from this:

https://github.com/UnearthedArcana/B_Spells/issues/155

Note that not all of these spells will be automatically included in fnp (especially the wizard ones), but I'll now have a nice way to integrate them into fnp in a nice smooth way
    edited February 2019
    So, the "s_Life" variables etc. cannot be changed in the .tpa file, they are variables used by one of the back-end functions and I'm not aware of any way to perform text-modification stuff on the names of variables.

What I'm tinkering with, is to entirely change the way each kit defines its access. Maybe they can define an array instead; the function can automatically compare the array keys with the particular sphere system's name-changing array, and then set a variable to the value of each key; and then those variables can be fed into the back-end function.

EDIT - or maybe create combine name-change array and the sphere-assignment arrays on the fly into a third array, and evaluate the sphere assignment values from that.

I think it can work... the only thing is, it will make this even more tedious - instead of "only" cutting and pasting the sphere assignments for every kit into the .tpa file, I'll now need to cut and paste them and then re-type each one in an array. For about 100 different kits. And then do it again for the alternate version... :fearful:

Sigh. It will be pretty awesome, at least.

Does the variable name really matter that much?

e.g. if you have 'Life => Healing', well then you just have to remember that "s_Life" just means 'healing' rather than 'life'.
    edited February 2019
    edited February 2019
    edited February 2019
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited February 2019
    I'll probably have more questions once I've had a chance to tinker with it for a while.

One question: does this system allow one to change which spells are 'universal'. I know that in vanilla, for instance, that is what the 'all' sphere was supposed to represent.

We would, of course, have to warn that all 'universal' spheres should have at least one spell for each level...

I ask because this would truly allow for a completely modder-defined custom sphere system.
    edited February 2019
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited February 2019
    One question: does this system allow one to change which spells are 'universal'. I know that in vanilla, for instance, that is what the 'all' sphere was supposed to represent.

Hi!

If by "vanilla" you mean PnP, be aware that there are some deities that don't allow any sort of access to the All sphere.

It is absurdly rare, but exists.

Good luck with the new system!
    Post edited by Raduziel on
    edited February 2019
    edited February 2019
    Raduziel wrote: »
    be aware that there are some deities that doesn't allow any sort of access to the All sphere.

Yes but here, we are constrained by the game engine rather than an imaginative DM. We have to keep one spell per level accessible to everyone, outside the sphere system, or else you can get stuck in the character generation menus, unable to start the game.

Of course one alternative is to make seven dummy spells solely for the purpose of getting through character generation... it would be effective, but it's a bit clunky. Better, I think, to simply create an "All" sphere that really is universally available to every divine caster. These spells are chosen either because they don't particularly fit the theme of any sphere, or because they are so useful/necessary in this particular adventure that we don't want anyone to go without them. At the moment, they are:
    - Cure Light Wounds
    - Resist Fire & Cold
    - Remove Curse EDIT - Dispel Magic
    - Lesser Restoration
    - Cure Critical Wounds
    - Wondrous Recall
    - Holy Word

On another note: maybe we should try to do something interesting with Wondrous Recall. It's such a dumb spell in vanilla, but let's face it, at this point we have the skills to do something super cool with it.

The only thing about holy word is that it is barred to evil clerics (which makes sense). On the other hand, that level is bare. There really aren't many spells at that level that scream 'universal'. We should probably also have Unholy Word as a universal so evil clerics don't stall in character creation in ToB.
  • MythalarMythalar Member Posts: 68
    The only thing about holy word is that it is barred to evil clerics (which makes sense). On the other hand, that level is bare. There really aren't many spells at that level that scream 'universal'. We should probably also have Unholy Word as a universal so evil clerics don't stall in character creation in ToB.

Let's call it "Divine Word" or something and make it have both holy/unholy word effects effects, according to to the cleric alignment... no? Well just an idea^^

For one I like the current spheres, even with wizard spells, since they are still relevant in the long run if not quite 2E-accurate.

But even "just" for the kits/spheres/spells editing simplification I am so excited byt his 'o'
    Mythalar wrote: »

Let's call it "Divine Word" or something and make it have both holy/unholy word effects effects, according to to the cleric alignment... no? Well just an idea^^

Yeah, that's totally doable
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MythalarMythalar Member Posts: 68
    edited February 2019
    Also ever wondered why they are were (otherwise stricly) identical spells...

Merge them into one would give a little extra to neutral clerics, if the same spell would affect both good and evil (that would be at least a strike for balance, different for the - boring in my mind - "neutral cleric can choose what to do")
    edited February 2019
    I once had an idea to mod the 'unholy'-like spells* to affect just enemies, because evil don't care about evil--you ain't with me, you're against me and all that (also, very few enemies are good, so the spell isn't really that useful).

I'm also not too keen on the actual effects of either the 'holy' or 'unholy' word, tbh, even the sr version.

* E.g. Same with unholy blight
    edited February 2019
    edited February 2019
    I once had an idea to mod the 'unholy'-like spells* to affect just enemies, because evil don't care about evil--you ain't with me, you're against me and all that (also, very few enemies are good, so the spell isn't really that useful).

I'm also not too keen on the actual effects of either the 'holy' or 'unholy' word, tbh, even the sr version.

* E.g. Same with unholy blight

I think SR combines them into a single spell that simply affects enemies, right? And improves the effects, though maybe not enough. I think they are basically anti-caster spells - no-save deafness is great, and not easy to cure. But the spell is nearly useless against fighters.

I might do something like
    - Deafness
    - 3-point Luck penalty
    - reduced movement speed
    ...for like 3-4 rounds. And maybe a chance for knockdown when the spell is cast.

The Luck penalty would simulate weakness, since it would penalize to-hit rolls and reduce average melee damage.

Does it? As of version v4 Beta 16, they are two separate spells, but that do their damage based on target vs. caster level (rather than just based on target level).

I like the luck penalty better. (though I was considering implementing 'Ancient Curse' as a HLA that imposes a -6 to luck)
    edited February 2019
    edited February 2019
    Cool cool. I'll check it out asap (I probably won't be able to really dive in until Thursday as tomorrow is a bit nuts).

1) heh, yeah

2) should be doable

3) yup

4) We should just assign kits to npcs where reasonable. Otherwise, I've been thinking about what you said about 'standard' clerics. There is no reason why we can't have them alongside 'specialist' kits. They can be described as worshippers of a particular Pantheon, revering multiple deities, rather than focused on a single deity. They should have great spell access, which specialists trade for more focused abilities.

5) yeah, definitely. There is an issue where some NPCs actually drop the scroll