Skip to content

(Non top tier) favorite weapons

So, we all know about the power of off-hand Belm and how FoA or Foebane is really good or Staff of the Magi gamebreaking etc.
But what are the unsung weapons that you prefer? Any favorites or preferences? Any gear that tends to fly under the radar even though it's really good?

I'm putting one from BG1EE and BG2 for now.

BG1 I like the Stupefier and I think people are giving it way too much crap for being what it is now instead of being the completely broken mess it originally was. Fun fact, when I first installed EE I immediately made a guy with mace proficiency since knew about the weapon but I didn't know it was nerfed and I wanted to absolutely break the game with it. That didn't happen but it's still very, very good for BG1.

BG2 got to hand it to Short sword of the Mask. While it's technically a TOB weapon the non-upgraded version can be got very early BG2 and fact that it's an early pick +4 weapon with an additional effect. Entangle isn't very strong but it does indirectly cause damage whenever a roll that would miss ends up hitting because of its effect. If it's a melee only enemy it also means no one is getting harassed by them for 4 rounds if you move yourself a bit further. I'm surprised how rarely I see anyone mention this beautiful little thing.

I've yet to test the buffed Pixie Prick but I'd imagine it's going to be one of my BG2 favorites now as well. Trying that out soon.

OrlonKronsteenBlackravenStummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisovSkatan[Deleted User]Aerakarraelcari

Comments

• AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,295
    Tbh I think the community now has a pretty good understanding of which weapons are really good, so I don't think there are many hidden champions left. At least I can't think of any right away. I guess some people miss the Scarlet Ninja-To which is a superior alternative to Belm for Bards once they have Use Any Item.
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    Kiel's Morning Star. I like backstory of this weapon and I think that it fits barbarian type of characters pretty well.
    I also like Hallowed Redeemer - great weapon for veteran paladin with unique thorn-type effect. 
    JuliusBorisov[Deleted User]
  • LammasLammas Member Posts: 211
    Ammar said:
    Tbh I think the community now has a pretty good understanding of which weapons are really good, so I don't think there are many hidden champions left.
    I'm sure you guys do but I'm also positively sure that not everyone who visits here does. I'm sure I'm missing some great entries below top weapons. I'm also just curious if anyone has any favorites that come outside of the most common abusable broken weapons list. I guess I could extend this to all items now that I think about it.
  • Oswald81Oswald81 Member Posts: 63
    That axe +3 with ice and acid, I tag it onto Korgan ever since de'Arnisse keep.  Also that stupid talking sword rules hefty when I use two handers.
    ThacoBellJuliusBorisovDragonspear
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @Humanoid_Taifun

I like the idea that my Paladin tries to Redeem Sarevok's blade. Actually, I'd like to think that if BG2 were released at this point in time; there'd be a quest for paladins to cleanse Sarevok's blade for paladins.

I'm also partial to the Dragonslayer Longsword from BG2. I've played with a cavalier for the longest time, and I just love dragons. So, ya, makes sense.
    ThacoBell[Deleted User]
  • TraumaDramaTraumaDrama Member Posts: 56
    I've been a big fan of Bala's Axe, Wizard Slayer. Maybe not as a main hand, but it's been real hand to smash mages with FoA and that puppy and watch their spells fizzle.
    sarevok57SkatanRVNSAerakar
  • Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    Lilarcor: +3, two critically important immunities, available right at the start of chapter 2, and very easy to get.
    Oswald81RVNS
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    I've been a big fan of Bala's Axe, Wizard Slayer. Maybe not as a main hand, but it's been real hand to smash mages with FoA and that puppy and watch their spells fizzle.

Are the Bala's Axe and the Wizard Slayer's spell failure penalty cumulative?
    RVNS
  • TraumaDramaTraumaDrama Member Posts: 56
    Skatan wrote: »
    * Mana bow: not as cool as the above, since no damage, but looks epic and have an added buff.

Agreed. I always gave it to Valygar, since magic is icky.

sarevok57SkatanRVNSlolien
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    returning throwing daggers, they can be used while in mlee as main hand weapon while the +1 scimitar and short sword are used off hand giving to 2 toons a huge +2 apr bonus, if someone has uai also the scarlet ninja to can be added to give to the party 5 more attacks/round.
    they do the same damage of bastard swords and get the str bonus, and they are also good +1apr ranged weapons that need no ammo so the other party members can use freely the enchanted ammo without too much fear of depleting them. as ranged weapons they can be used with a shield in the oh hand so the 2 welders of them can easily suck all the damage of the ranged enemies if one uses the shiled that raflects bullets and the other stacks fortress shield and other items bonuses to reach a super low ac against ranged. proper placement of the party can easily make the ranged enemies focus on them.
    a hasted party, with spells and/or boots, can deal a ton of ranged damage to fighters that try to reach them being far too slow to do it, they can win just like this or at a certain point, when the enemy is properly softened, the party can switch to mlee and end the work with their improved apr.

as only 2 party members will use the throwing daggers the other ones can still use the most powerful weapons we all know, this works better if crom is not created so all the party can benefit of str enhancing weapons. the returning daggers in combination with oh +1 weapons give 4 apr, level and specialization before any level and specialization bonus, so for every toon with some fighter in is very easy to reach the cap of 5 apr quite early in soa, and as IH is learned by mages they will hit at a gww rate for a long time compared to the 1 round duration of the hla.

imho in the original game the returning ranged weapons was better balanced as adzuredge and firetooth did not get str bonus while the boomerang dagger, that had 1 less level of enchantment, and the other axe did. and it was not possible to use in mlee returning weapons while dw.
    in EE no returning axe gets str bonus and the daggers are just too powerful, not only in themselves but considering the whole party power.
    SkatanRVNSAerakarlolien
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited February 2019
    yep, dwarven thrower gets str bonus and is similar to the daggers as thac0 and dmg output, they all use 2d4 as base, with the plus of using crushing damage, the less resisted and the minus of only dwarf and toon with uai being able to weld it.
    but @sarevok57 the crazy damage you got from it was due to your toon being a dwarf kensai, probably with really high str, with the returning daggers he would have been as much effective.

other weapons that are overlooked by some are the slings, we have one that gets the str bonus using normal bullets, useful to hit minor foe, one with its own enchanted ones that hits as +5, useful to hit enemies that need high enchanted weapons like some golems and liches-demiliches, one that allow you to create some +4 bullets/day and few good others like the arvoreen one. every sling gets the str bonus if an enchanted bullet is used, they stack the bullet and launcher thac0 and damage bonus. their minus is the 1 base apr, but a fighter type can boost it and as he reaches hla a gww with sling + str enhancer is devastating. for toons that are not fighters the huge thac0 bonus got stacking sling and bullet enchantment and the str bonus can make them really worth as well. a nalia with her bow often misses against the foe that matters, so her 3 apr with tugian is pretty much theoretical, give her a good sling and enchanted bullets, let her cast on herself the cheap and long lasting spell that set her str to 18.50 and suddenly she hits much more often and when she does she does for some real damage. and if she drinks a haste potion or uses the haste spell on herself (and the summoned helpers) her apr is doubled, thing that is not true with less damaging weapons with better apr, she needs a much more costly improved haste to double her damage output with bow. aerie, that can easily bring her str at 25 and haste herself shines with a good sling and good bullets, at high level she can hit 2 times with 29 dmg/hit and -14 thac0 if upgraded erinne sling and +4 bullets are used, not the output of an archer or kensai, but those near to 60 dmg/round hitting often foe like demogorgon, done really fast so she has plenty of time to also cast her spell/round from a safe position, can be a plus in many tough high level battles.
    JLeeGrond0Aerakarlolien
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Raduziel wrote: »

Are the Bala's Axe and the Wizard Slayer's spell failure penalty cumulative?

@Raduziel They are cumulative, yes. The spell itself is cumulative as well. As far as I can tell ALL effects that apply a percent chance of spell failure are cumulative with both themselves and each other because they all use the same opcode, which just so happens to work cumulatively.

There is a caveat though: Sometimes various spells and effects can have the effect of removing specific other effects. It is possible that some specific spells will remove the effects of previous applications of spell failure effects. I did not look into this possibility, but I know it exists. I think it somewhat improbable that this applies to anything in the base games though.
    RaduzielStummvonBordwehrGrond0JuliusBorisov
  • LammasLammas Member Posts: 211
    Throwing axes get no STR bonus and slings don't get and STR bonus on regular bullets?
    I never knew this! Not exactly the kind of information gems I was originally intending for but gems of information nontheless.
    lolien
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Poisoned Throwing Daggers. My favorite all-series run was with a pure Shadowdancer and I scooped up every last set of these babies I could find in Athkatla. Useful against a wide array of enemies especially when you hide for most of combat.
    Grond0SkatanQuartzAngulimala
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Poisoned Throwing Daggers. My favorite all-series run was with a pure Shadowdancer and I scooped up every last set of these babies I could find in Athkatla. Useful against a wide array of enemies especially when you hide for most of combat.

Back before Poison Weapon was nerfed (back when it dealt 12 extra damage over 1 round per hit with no save and could be applied multiple times per round), I did a BG2 playthrough using an Assassin/Mage. Poisoned Throwing Daggers (and other poison missiles) were great because their poison damage stacked with the poison damage from Poison Weapon.
    Aerakarlolien