Skip to content

The thread for happiness/spreading your joy

Comments

• BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    There's a conversation in the politics thread about the costs of eating healthy and how many people don't have the time to cook healthy meals. Reading it has reminded me (as I'm constantly reminded by other things) just how awesome my wife is. Even though she works a full time job, volunteers with the HOA, and takes occasional sewing commissions, she still cooks full, balanced meals everyday. I can count the pre-packaged foods we eat regularly on one hand. She cooks most of the meat on the weekends, so we just have to heat it up in the evenings. Even things like pizza (my Italian grandmother taught her) and hamburger buns are made from scratch. She never uses recipes, she just knows how things should look and smell and taste.
    JLeelolien
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    edited February 2019
    So, yeah, Emma the Cat lost her place at the firehouse, but she was adopted, and is now in a "Furrever" home. I am sad that the Firehouse lost her, but I am glad that a first reponder adopted her. As I now have no cat. I am glad that she has a happy ending to her story.

Also, another heartwarming story in the papers was that a mosque in Texas burned, and the local Synagogue handed the keys to the local Imam. It's wonderful to see how, even with the hate and division in our society, that people can still step forward and do things like this. (The Mosque had been previously buglarized and is being investigated as a crime).
    Post edited by LadyRhian on
    JLeeBalrog99ThacoBell
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Our dog Ollie just got a bath, and I have given him about 15,000% more cuddling than yesterday. That's based on an actual calculation.
    [Deleted User]ZaghoulBelgarathMTHThacoBell
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited March 2019
    @ThacoBell , the only Blind Guardian I know is the "Sacred 2" song. It's a really good song, though. They had an in-game cut scene performance of the song with computer generated animated versions of all the musicians, and they appeared in the game as NPC's who would give you their instruments after the concert, which could be wielded as some really good legendary quality weapons. (The bass player's "axe" was guitar shaped but useable as an actual, literal axe.)

In every town, there was a a bard singing lines from the song. "I'm bleeding, I'm fading, here in my final hour, when long lost memories return, and a voice keeps calling, 'All dead and gone.' "

"Oh, it's now or never, we shall stand together, one by one, this land is sacred."

Good times. :)
    FinneousPJThacoBellSkatan
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @BelgarathMTH I think I need to play Sacred 2 now.
    BelgarathMTH
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited March 2019
    @ThacoBell , The game is huge, but really fun. I highly recommend it. The Blind Guardian quest is referenced in the first major city you get to, Thylisium, and then the quest chain is given by Hansi, who is standing outside of a town northeast of Thylisium, called Clearview. (Hansi accompanies you as an unkillable companion from then on, until you finish the quest chain. He shoots lightning out of his microphone. :) )

However, here's the cutscene for you if you'd like to watch and hear the song without having to play your way to it, in case you don't have the time.

ThacoBell
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @BelgarathMTH I got Sacred 2 years ago in what I think was a GoG giveaway. Not a fan of hack and slash, but you have me curious.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    How far away do you sit that 43" works for you
  • TakisMegasTakisMegas Member Posts: 835
    FinneousPJ wrote: »

I would like to know as well. I have a 27" 2k, want to upgrade to 4k.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    for a 43 inch screen you shoulld be at least 1,8m (6ft) away

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship
    TakisMegas
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    mlnevese wrote: »
    for a 43 inch screen you shoulld be at least 1,8m (6ft) away

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship

Depends on the font-size. For a computer I don't think you could be 6' away and still read everything even if the screen is 43".
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I use mine for mirroring my notebook screen I'm around 6' away... get too close and you just can't see the entire screen. Of course I never tried anything with a really tiny font :)
    FinneousPJ wrote: »

2.75 to 3.5 ft. I lean back for games and lean forward for text. I'm usually not trying to see the whole screen at once. Just like using multiple monitors, I focus on each area at a time. Those recommendations that @mlnevese posted are for TV's. When you watch TV, you want to see the whole image at once.

Of course, I've only had the monitor a few days, so I'm still getting used to it and adjusting. At the moment, I've got app scaling set to 150%, but I might bump it up to 175%. Thursday's my first telecommute day since I got it, so I'll see how it goes to use the thing for 8 hours straight.
    Balrog99lolien
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    That doesn't sound very ergonomic... I think I'll stick to 24 inches.
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    After failed attempts in the past, and a 3-hour visit to the office today, my family has officially be approved for food assistance. Our benefits start tomorrow. I get to start cooking again!

Ugh! Ain't no bureaucracy like welfare bureaucracy. I remember having to reapply after every month with 5 Fridays in it. How efficient!
    ZaghoulThacoBellTakisMegas
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @BillyYank: After every month with 5 Fridays in it? That seems extremely specific and arbitrary and hard for anyone to keep track of. I'm guessing it was designed that way to trip people up and give the bureaucracy an excuse to cut people off.
    Balrog99ThacoBell
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    edited April 2019
    Maybe i will emigrate to a better place.

I an in a process of selection and maybe my next home will be in a city in southern part of Argentina, where snows 8 months/year. In my current city that is considered "cold" for Brazilian standards, only snowed on time 4 years ago if i remember correctly.

Is very unlikely that i will be selected. There are people with better qualifications and spanish than me but if by i miracle i an selected :
    • No more hellfire sun-ray incinerating my skin(photo bellow)
    • Much less trash on streets and graffiti, something that is each time more common in my city
    • Much more beautiful woman. The first waitress that i saw when i visited as an tourist was an gorgeous redhead woman
    • High culture. Tango > Funk. Seriously.
    • Much more firearms freedom, i mean, firearms in ARG still strict but at least is not an Mexican style draconian gun law strict. Is possible to own .30-06, .45-70 and .308 win rifles in ARG
    • No neighbors with loud annoying music
    • Cheaper products
    • Educated people
    • Much less crime

My skin after sun. This was in one of the "coldest"(or less hot) beaches of my country. Hell de Janeiro is much hotter than SC
    7Qf2WNK.jpg

And photos when i visited Patagonia during June of last year https://imgur.com/a/oy0ngie

The city that i maybe will live is colder than Bariloche.

And being very honest, this :

02.jpg
    source : https://www.cerrobayo.com.ar/montana/galeria/

Is much better than the "favela" that my city is becoming. No, Argentina is not an Switzerland like developed country, but is certain better than my country; and only be free from this hot as hell weather worth the try.
    mlneveseStummvonBordwehrlolienBalrog99