Skip to content

The thread for happiness/spreading your joy

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,364
    BillyYank wrote: »
    Today is my 32nd wedding anniversary. The wife and I spent the afternoon doing our history nerd thing at Mt. Vernon

xjea0e6m3llx.jpg

You must mean Mount 'Should Have been Mount Washington'. ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist...
    Arvia wrote: »
    @Balrog99 I know, as I said, I had been suspecting it for some time, but Germany is kind of underdeveloped when it comes to mental health. Takes ages to get an appointment. And they were afraid to stigmatize him with a diagnosis. Which is ridiculous in my opinion, how can understanding yourself or your child have anything to do with stigma. But perhaps that's because I know a few adults on the autism spectrum and know it's not what people think after watching Rain Man...

@semiticgod thank you.

You have no idea what a relief it was to share this. Well, maybe you do.

Wow, the US is ahead of Europe in some social issues? That's a bit of a surprise to me to say the least! We should be learning best practices from each other rather than focusing on differences. I guess it's human nature to focus on competing rather than cooperating but it's sure frustrating...
    ArviamlneveseThacoBell
    edited April 2019
    semiticgod wrote: »
    On an unrelated note: a recent happiness in my life is that I've had buttered toast recently. And I like buttered toast.

I am pretty lucky that I didn't grow up materialistic. Who needs a sports car when you can have a toaster?

Rye, wheat or white? Buttered rye with honey is on my gifts from God list (along with Costa Rican coffee)!
    ThacoBellBelgarathMTH
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Balrog99: Whole grain wheat with "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter." Dunno about rye bread, but white bread doesn't have enough (any) fiber or protein for me.
    Balrog99BelgarathMTH
    semiticgod wrote: »
    @Balrog99: Whole grain wheat with "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter." Dunno about rye bread, but white bread doesn't have enough (any) fiber or protein for me.

Rye has the best texture and flavor to my palette. Agreed about white bread though. White bread is for kids!
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Was given some spending money recently, might be time to check out Tyranny...
    StummvonBordwehrBelgarathMTHSkatan
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Was given some spending money recently, might be time to check out Tyranny...

If only the whole premise of that game weren't to be Evil, it might be a game I would enjoy. Sadly, I will *never* play evil in a game, and will thus never play Tyranny, because it makes me feel evil in real life. It also makes me feel sick to my stomach, makes me make all kinds of faces, makes me roll my eyes, makes me sigh, makes me twist my face up into contortions you wouldn't believe that express my disgust, etc.

Sometimes I think that we real life "paladins" need a mechanic that gives us -1 penalties for simply being in the presence of Evil. It makes us violently ill. Of course, since the Evil ones should logically be getting the same reaction from our Aura of Goodness and Light, I guess the effects cancel each other out. ;)
    ArviaSkatanThacoBell
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Even if your actions are good, less good things might come out of it, but that doesn't make your actions less good nonetheless. It might not be a game for you anyways @BelgarathMTH, but you don't have to run around being some "murdering hobo" in Tyranny. I tried my best being Good in the game. It was a very enjoyable game IMHO. I'm not here to try and persuade you to play, just to offer some perspective on the whole "you have to be evil" part. if you are actually interested in the game, perhaps try to find a Lets PLay on Youtube and watch a few episodes to get an understanding of the game?
    mlneveseBelgarathMTHThacoBell
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @BelgarathMTH Until recently, I felt EXACTLY the same way you did. I can never play evil in any game. Someone told me that while you work for the evil overlord, you don't have to be evil yourself. I think it may have been @Skatan actually. I think it would be very interesting to play a character that tries to be good, while living under an evil regime. Supposedly, there is a secret "good" path (or at least "rebel against the overlord" one).
    mlneveseBelgarathMTHSkatan
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    @BelgarathMTH Until recently, I felt EXACTLY the same way you did. I can never play evil in any game. Someone told me that while you work for the evil overlord, you don't have to be evil yourself. I think it may have been @Skatan actually. I think it would be very interesting to play a character that tries to be good, while living under an evil regime. Supposedly, there is a secret "good" path (or at least "rebel against the overlord" one).

Varys and Tyrion in Game of Thrones are sort of like that. They both try hard to steer the powers-that-be away from megalomania towards more good, or at least neutral, ground.
    BelgarathMTH