Skip to content

The thread for happiness/spreading your joy

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Sounds rough, @DragonKing. I guess it really depends on the whims of the audience.

For what it's worth, I think exhibitions just for arts sales are also important. The last time I went to an art show, it was a downtown crawl with a mix of different shows at different places, from a fancy show in a clean building filled with rich-looking white people to a dusty warehouse to a handful of market stalls by the railroad, and some of the folks making money there were just people selling food to the looky-loos. That didn't make it any less rich of an experience for my friends and me. I'm glad there are local artists displaying and selling their work in my hometown.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    @semiticgod
    It ultimately boils down to a crap ton of factors, the fame of your name on top of the Audience and such, if you can sign with a gallery that can push your name world wide, you can sell a ton of crap, but they may screw you over with with money.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Arvia wrote: »
    It's 30°C (86°F) and I'm so happy that I change into scrubs at work and can therefore dress however I want in the morning. I pity all those people who have to dress up in formal clothes. I would dislike that anyway, but especially in this heat.

Thank you for being so considerate of us backwards Americans and providing conversions to our measurements when you write things like this. "30 degrees celsius" means basically nothing to me. :)
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    It's 30°C (86°F) and I'm so happy that I change into scrubs at work and can therefore dress however I want in the morning. I pity all those people who have to dress up in formal clothes. I would dislike that anyway, but especially in this heat.

Thank you for being so considerate of us backwards Americans and providing conversions to our measurements when you write things like this. "30 degrees celsius" means basically nothing to me. :)

For a moment I was wondering if you were being sarcastic and to convert the measurement came across as condescending. :)

Degrees Fahrenheit don't mean anything to me, either. I know many people here are Americans (I never said "backwards", those were your own words ;) ), so when I write something like temperature, length or whatever, I look up the conversion and write it in both measurements.
    I moved the cartoon-related posts over to a new thread.
    I was hanging out with my brother and a friend at Target and we cracked a joke about gluten-free bottled water that made a nearby customer smile to himself.
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    @Arvia, it's a good idea to have them arrive before they're needed. My wife ran out if her thyroid med once. WOW! I thought it was rough getting her levels balanced in the first place, but watching her go through that was worse. She gets her refills at least a week ahead of time now.
    Woot woot, my phone stand is here, i can now record my drawing.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    That's one massive tree @DragonKing, it would have been beautiful I imagine, all those years when it was still standing upright.
    @Son_of_Imoen
    It was, I use to love to try and climb it since it towered over everything and expanded a nice amount of the land.

But a lot of things are gone now... There's no more sweet grass anywhere. But that maybe for the best because I know when my cousins and myself were kids, we wouldn't listen when people kept telling us to stop picking the grass off the ground and chewing it. I swear it's juice was freaking addictive lol.

The pear tree is gone, the raspberry and black berry bushes are gone. The kiwi bush is gone... I want to go back in time because all the fun stuff isn't around anymore.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    My daughter's/our sick little rabbit, who looked like he was dying yesterday evening when I took him to the vet (and it was a 50/50 chance), is running around and eating hay and grass as if nothing had happened. ?
    It was beautiful to watch, and to wake the kids with the good news.

That's good news. Strangely I can relate more to news about rabbits than feline/canine pets. I'm not much into cats and dogs, and never know how to reply to the grief of people losing a pet, but I'm glad your daughter's rabbit is healthy again.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    typo_tilly wrote: »
    It's been three months since I got a mattress. It was one of the cheapest in the store at a store-opening sale, but it was still expensive for me. I'd been on a mouldy, thin futon cushion for years, and the difference between sleeping on that and a real mattress is amazing! I'm so grateful for it.

I was so amused watching the mattress unfurl. It came in this small box and expanded when unpacked. I had no idea the technology moved forward that much. It's like a gel-foam combination. :)

i remember buying a mattress online last year or so, and i was wondering how something so big was going to get shipped to me

and then it came it a very strange looking box ( or at least a strange box for a mattress to be in )

i even remember asking what was in the box when i was told there was a package for me, and was told this was my mattress and i had questions, because i've never seen a mattress like this before

so out of curiosity, i took it out of the box and saw that it was all rolled up and wrapped in plastic

so i started cutting through the plastic and like magic, REAL LIFE MAGIC, this burrito of a mattress was coming to life before my very eyes and unrolled and somehow "aired/filled?" up and became the mattress that i have ordered, and apparently it was quite comfortable as well

technology these days, just crazy
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @sarevok57 You just lost an opportunity to prove magic exists :)
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @sarevok57 , Are there any organized teams for adults to continue competing in track and field where you live? Is that your goal, or do you just want to work out and improve the skills for yourself? I've always been interested in track and field, but I was never fast enough to compete in any kind of running, and I would have been afraid to try to jump a hurdle. (But what if fail to clear and I *land* on that thing? Ouch! Sprains and broken limbs!)
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    @sarevok57 , Are there any organized teams for adults to continue competing in track and field where you live? Is that your goal, or do you just want to work out and improve the skills for yourself? I've always been interested in track and field, but I was never fast enough to compete in any kind of running, and I would have been afraid to try to jump a hurdle. (But what if fail to clear and I *land* on that thing? Ouch! Sprains and broken limbs!)

yup, i was actually quite surprised that track and field is alive and well where i live, and in fact one of the best throw coaches in the world only lives just under a couple of hours away from me

although this year im not going to be doing any competing because the membership is 95 bucks, so im going to be doing lots of practice this year to see where im at and hopefully by next year i will at least be able to compete either in the zones, valleys or provincially

and if you arent fast you could always do the throw events, despite the fact the only events i will ever be able to compete in are the throw events, i still like doing long jump ( because that was a favourite of mine in high school ) and i like doing the 100 M because that event really helps you get into shape
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,350
    edited July 2019
    @Arvia
    Archery is fun - its been too long since I tried it.

If you got a little time on your hand, then this book about archery and zen might be of interest
    https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/176/17610/zen-in-the-art-of-archery/9780140190748.html