Skip to content

Did you know?

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited May 2019
    In the original BG1 (from what I can tell in Near Infinity) it has the bug. So its probably just a holdover from that.

As far as I know Flind's aren't in BG2 so there was no need to fix it.
    semiticgoddess
  • AasimAasim Member Posts: 591
    elminster wrote: »
    In the original BG1 (from what I can tell in Near Infinity) it has the bug. So its probably just a holdover from that.

As far as I know Flind's aren't in BG2 so there was no need to fix it.
    semiticgod wrote: »
    @Aasim: That's it! EET uses BG2 files whenever they conflict with BG1 files, and when I look up the flind's weapon, FLIND1.itm, it actually is different between BG1 and BG2: in BG1, it penalizes THAC0, but in BG2, it improves it! Don't know why the BG2 version is different, though. Maybe a Bioware developer thought they were fixing a bug and switched it from a negative to a positive, confusing the bonus with a penalty.

Hehe. No wonder I lived in this belief for so long - I never play BG1 as a standalone game, it was BGTrilogy and now EET.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    Imagine if you had a suit of leather armor +10 in Baldur's Gate. How would its AC compare to that of a nonmagical suit of full plate armor for a fighter?

Leather Armor +10
    vs. slashing: -2
    vs. piercing: 0
    vs. crushing: -2
    vs. missiles: 0

Full Plate
    vs. slashing: -3
    vs. piercing: -2
    vs. crushing: 1
    vs. missiles: -2

Overall, a regular suit of full plate actually provides better protection than even a super-enchanted suit of leather armor. Add this to the fact that the full plate could be worn with a Ring of Protection +2 and the leather armor can't.

Of course, a suit of leather armor +10 would probably weigh like 1 pound or so while the full plate is quite cumbersome, and thieves would prefer the leather armor. But when fighters are concerned, even if the fighter had a non-min-maxed Strength score (like Khalid), they would be better off with full plate.

Leather armors are just horrible in the game. Studded leather armors do a whole lot better, already! A mundane piece of studded leather armor is overall better than a +3 leather armor, the strongest that you can find in BG1.
    Wise_GrimwaldAerakarlolien
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    edited May 2019
    According to Volo's Guide Halbazzer Drin made most of his fortune by selling two spells. The first is a spell that banishes mildew (which he sells for 12 gold per casting). The second is a spell that removes moisture from a surface without causing harm (which he sells it for 10 gold per casting). He absolutely refuses to teach anyone else these spells (and won't sell scrolls of them either).

There is nothing like a monopoly for keeping prices up. Brazil tried to keep a monopoly on coffee, and the UK tried to keep a monopoly on opium, but smugglers eventually prevailed, as they do.
    StummvonBordwehrRaduziel
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    According to Volo's Guide Halbazzer Drin made most of his fortune by selling two spells. The first is a spell that banishes mildew (which he sells for 12 gold per casting). The second is a spell that removes moisture from a surface without causing harm (which he sells it for 10 gold per casting). He absolutely refuses to teach anyone else these spells (and won't sell scrolls of them either).

Horrid Wilting would do both. Just make sure everybody is standing back!
    RaduzielStummvonBordwehr
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @histamiini: Which apprentices are you talking about? I don't remember any mention of them recently in this thread.
  • histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,428
    @semiticgod The mage stronghold apprentices, who die if you make some of the better stuff.
    semiticgoddessWise_Grimwald
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    Wait, there's an option to give the farmer the hoard? As in like all the loot you find alongside his kid's corpse?
    In my installation there is the option to give him the hoard. I haven't tried doing it though. I think that I would drop most of it first if I were going for that option as a +1 cloak is hardly any recompense. I do have mods installed.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    In my installation there is the option to give him the hoard. I haven't tried doing it though. I think that I would drop most of it first if I were going for that option as a +1 cloak is hardly any recompense. I do have mods installed.

@Wise_Grimwald The give hoard option does exist in the base game, but I can find no evidence for any bonus cloak. If you choose the option to give a portion of the hoard to Brun, it only takes the ruby ring from you.
    Wise_Grimwald
    Tresset wrote: »

@Wise_Grimwald The give hoard option does exist in the base game, but I can find no evidence for any bonus cloak. If you choose the option to give a portion of the hoard to Brun, it only takes the ruby ring from you.

The original post made me think that perhaps pickpocketting was in order. Perhaps worth a try as I do have a lot of mods installed except that I don't really need anymore equipment.
  • xizorxizor Member Posts: 89
    Sergio wrote: »
    Did you know that if you give the hoard to the farmer in the ankheg's place, if you enter the house in the right of the three fishermen you are gifted a cloak of protection +1 by the inhabitant there?

His name is Wilton, right? I think that's cut content, restored by Unfinished Business.

ThacoBellJuliusBorisov
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Tresset wrote: »
    Sergio wrote: »
    Some things I've discovered this playthrough:

1) How to find the ring of wizardry? Talk with a nobleman in the inn, of course :)

Nobleman: "Do you have an excuse for barging in here? Unless you are here to make the beds, I want you out. Why, you are as annoying as that decidedly loopy mage who made a nuisance of himself about this Inn recently... running about, bothering the guests for the location of some barmy magical treasure he said was buried on the south of the grounds, and digging up Bentley's foliage! Thankfully, he was thrown out for his behaviour, and I hope that you are next! Be off with you."

2) Did you know that if you give the hoard to the farmer in the ankheg's place, if you enter the house in the right of the three fishermen you are gifted a cloak of protection +1 by the inhabitant there?

This is either the result of a mod or it is just not true. I cannot find a string like that in existence in the game's data. There is also no inhabitant in that house, nor is there an existing area script that could create one.

I've seen the dialogue he's talking about, but I've never gotten it in an unmodded game. I think it's from NPC Project. That mod makes a lot of subtle changes all over the game other than just adding character dialogues to the NPC's. I think I might have had 18 charisma as well with the character who got the dialogue the time I saw it, so I don't know if that's a factor.
    ThacoBellWise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisov
    Wilton is the dude at the Fishing Village that gives you the Cloak of Protection +1, but only if UB is installed.

If you go there way before you can enter Baldur's Gate, it's a pretty useful item, as you can only find one more of these cloaks in the Farmlands, in Durlag's Tower, and at the Werewolf Island. However, there are literally a dozen (yes, exactly twelve) more of these cloaks in Baldur's Gate.
    Wise_GrimwaldAerakarlolien
    @Thels Didn't know that there were that many in the Gate. I know of the one in the house where Angel's ring is which I think that you can pickpocket, but by that time it isn't worth the risk of being caught.
    StummvonBordwehr
    Most certainly not when there are several that can be looted, and several that can be bought. They're not expensive, and you should be swimming in gold by then.
    edited May 2019
    Tormpujari, (Priest of Torm) is a Holy Redeemer Fighter/Cleric. I haven't played this kit before, but it looks fairly well balanced.

viiyjcppzzy3.jpg
    I got quite a good roll.

4f4ta65lczzs.jpg

The upgraded assassins in Candlekeep were no match when he used command.

Against Tarnesh he used sanctuaryand then when the guards had almost killed Tarnesh, he used command once more and moved in for the kill thus gaining the experience.

i03mqeuq80xx.jpg

So far so good.

There was a quarterstaff +1 on Gorion's body together with some containers which could prove useful.
    BelgarathMTHRaduziel
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Jiseed finished their run of Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition on RPGLB2019 by RPGLimitBreak in less than 30 minutes.

Watch the VoD on YouTube!

elminsterStummvonBordwehrRaduziel
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I participated in a streamer event (dk30.day9.tv, making a model of my under construction house) and came across this fellow contributor.

A tutorial for a bgee speedrun in 2.5.
    JuliusBorisovSkatan