Skip to content

Baldur's Gate III released into Early Access

Comments

• DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,567
    Could definitely see mindflayers used as some plot device to reset the PC to level one in some fashion. Just speculation of course. But could very much make it a direct sequel.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,295
    Also looks like they are going for epic from the start with Illithids as antagonists. I like low to middle level adventuring facing bandits and mortal conspiracies. By the end of BG 2 you had earned your high levels. Going straight to Mindflayer with a new protagonist? Not my preference. I liked the Black Hound concept of level 5 to 6 level cap.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    dac0152 wrote: »
    megamike15 wrote: »
    Why is this announcement so hidden on these forums??

because it just happened.

Doesn't really explain why it's sequestered into the Off-Topic forum along with all the non-BG games, and no mention made/stickied in the General Discussion forum.

Because it's not a Beamdog's game, it can't be in General Discussions. But we created a special subforum on this forum for BG3, a game from another developer, - which is an exclusion to how things are usually run here.

Sad that the site is more BeamDog than BG now when it's supposed to be about the games. I guess I'll just go back to Reddit...

it is about the games. but it's a beamdog forum first a baldurs gate forum 2nd.
    ThacoBell
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Ammar wrote: »
    do not see how they „ addressed a lot of concerns.“
    Just that it involves squid faces and that Larian did change a few things from the 5e ruleset, really.

They addressed: 5E, how much that can be tweaked, creative freedom, tone, "why BG3", "does it continue the original story", "will it have the same feeling of exploration", "party-based", "will solo play be possible", "similarly isometric?", how long the game has been in development, many more?

Yes, they didn't reply about TB/any other mode. But they did address a lot of questions. And yes, I understand, only the actual game will be able to answer pending questions, this is alright.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    KamigoroshiSjerrie
  • AnprionsaAnprionsa Member Posts: 106
    My (predictably?) negative first impression:

1) Illithids don't work like that.

2) No gameplay?? Come on.

I imagine there could be more at E3? Surely there is more than this and they will have more in the coming days. This was just for Google.
    My (predictably?) negative first impression:

1) Illithids don't work like that.

2) No gameplay?? Come on.

a friend of mine has a term for 2. no game no hype.
    ThacoBellleeux
  • the_sexteinthe_sextein Member Posts: 711
    edited June 2019
    I wonder what Misnc looks like 100 years later. They have a pretty massive dev team. 200 in house and 100 external contracted workers pouring hours into the game for years. Sounds like a massive undertaking. I would expect no less though, they are riding off of a previous success and the only way to move up is to put all of their chips in. Game engine is their own with upgrades performed internally since their last game.
    anastiel
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    @JuliusBorisov No, none of the interviews answered whenever it will be isometric or isometric-like. They were asked by the reporters, but evaded the question in its entirity. I stand by my post: we still know almost nothing of this project. Guess we'll have to wait and see if E3 can lift the Fog of War of information.
    kanisatha
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    Shockingly - people who expected this to be bad are disappointed in the reveal and people who expected it to be good are excited.

Also, water is wet.

300+ people developing it. Sounds like a crazy level of enthusiasm from Larian. Smart use of 5e (use what works. Tweak what doesn't). Self published. Authentic to the original without avoiding Larian's strengths and what made D:OS2 so well received.

My biggest concern is the ship. Some of the spelljammer-y stuff always rubbed me the wrong way.

For my money, it's passed the first test. Next I want to see gameplay.
    Ammar wrote: »
    Also looks like they are going for epic from the start with Illithids as antagonists. I like low to middle level adventuring facing bandits and mortal conspiracies. By the end of BG 2 you had earned your high levels. Going straight to Mindflayer with a new protagonist? Not my preference. I liked the Black Hound concept of level 5 to 6 level cap.

In BG2 I think mind flayers can be as low as level 8... so it doesn't guarantee any kind of epicness if they're the final antagonist. Also come on, they're not going to launch a full BG game that isn't epic in this day and age. If you read the news stories, the studios had to pitch ideas to WotC. People aren't going to fork over $60 or whatever for a level 1-6 adventure.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    How in the world can they not know if it will be isometric or turn-based?? You'd think that would be the absolute first thing to determine.
    KamigoroshiThacoBellkanisatha
    because the game is in at best pre production and not even started. don't expect real news for another year.
    DinoDin
    Also key to note, but Sarevok is freaking level 15 in the original game. You can have a high level antagonist beat by a lesser leveled party. It's been like that since Pool of Radiance.
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    Quite surprised about the gore. Other than that - I am lukewarm. I'll wait until we know more.
    I wouldn't mind turn-based combat, but I really wish there will be some kind of isometric view.
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    @subtledoctor Yep, very predictable.
    [Deleted User]
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    How in the world can they not know if it will be isometric or turn-based?? You'd think that would be the absolute first thing to determine.

Probably to evade any backlash, should the answer rub potential customers the wrong way. A pretty standard technique in the marketing field as a whole.
  • the_sexteinthe_sextein Member Posts: 711
    lefreut wrote: »
    jjstraka34 wrote: »

Maybe it's just that they don't want to say it yet.

They have to choose a path and no matter what they choose some will be disappointed. It's best to keep negativity to a minimum when it comes to first impressions so I can see why they don't want to talk about it yet. I would think a hybrid camera system could be used to make everyone happy but gameplay is gonna have to be one or the other I would think.
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,270
    Yep, time to tell family and friends that I will be unreachable when it comes out :D
    byrne20BallpointMan
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Says Larian in a press release:

Baldur’s Gate III will push the boundaries of the RPG genre and offer a rich narrative with unparalleled player freedom, high-stakes decisions, unique companion characters and memorable combat. It is Larian Studios’ biggest production ever and will be playable together with friends or as a single-player adventure.[/quote]

I’m at work, so I can’t dive into most of these articles or even watch the trailer atm but this here seems like someone’s talking out of their ass.

How can a game have a “rich narrative” while also giving the player “unparalleled freedom.”

This reads, Baldur’s Gate III will be an open world adventure where we attempt to tell gripping story but the player will be too busy crafting daggers themselves at the blacksmith shop to notice it.

One or the other is going to suffer. You cannot have both IMO.

The “unique combat” is also worrisome. Is it just unique because it is 5e, or is it unique in another way?

But wait and see... wait and see...
    MERLANCEThacoBell
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited June 2019
    deltago wrote: »

I’m at work, so I can’t dive into most of these articles or even watch the trailer atm but this here seems like someone’s talking out of their ass.

How can a game have a “rich narrative” while also giving the player “unparalleled freedom.”

This reads, Baldur’s Gate III will be an open world adventure where we attempt to tell gripping story but the player will be too busy crafting daggers themselves at the blacksmith shop to notice it.

One or the other is going to suffer. You cannot have both IMO.

The “unique combat” is also worrisome. Is it just unique because it is 5e, or is it unique in another way?

But wait and see... wait and see...

This is addressed in those interviews. The narrative part, the "open-world", the battles.
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    @JuliusBorisov I fear you are wasting your time trying with that one but I admire your commitment.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited June 2019
    If anyone is interesting the cinematics accurately shows how Illithids reproduce. From the Dungeons & Dragons Wikia:

https://dungeons.fandom.com/wiki/Illithid

Physical Qualities
    Mind flayers, or illithids as they call themselves, are the embodiment of mortals' worst fears. They dwell in darkness and order monsters on foul errands. They slaughter or enslave multitudes of peaceful creatures and exert total dominance over prisoners. Mind flayers have spent centuries on selective breeding and magical manipulation experiments in an attempt to create the perfect slave race.

Perhaps the most horrifying and repulsive attribute of the illithids is their physical form, a grisly mockery of the humanoid victims from which they were birthed. Mind flayers use other creatures to reproduce. They implant a juvenile illithid inside a victim's skull, where the tadpole shaped offspring eats the creature's brain. The progeny's Far Realm essence irrevocably alters the creature's form, turning it into an adult illithid with features that hint at its former occupant. Some mind flayer cabals search out specific vessels for their young, believing that a powerful host body makes for a strong illithid.
    JuliusBorisov
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2019