Skip to content

Did you know?

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited May 2019
    In this case it seems like the decision to set BG2 in 1369 was made later into that games development (after the in-game writing was done) and closer to when the BG2 SoA manual was finalized (because they got 1369 down there). Had Baldur's Gate 1 been set in 1370 and BG2 been set in 1371 I think these issues would have been avoided. I can't think of any issues doing so would cause (beyond a few later campaign setting books having the wrong dates) but they might exist.
    Post edited by elminster on
    Wise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    The proof that click bait was always a thing.
    mlneveseelminsterGenderNihilismGirdle
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    That is the first that I have heard of them. Of course, I have now looked up tarrasque on wiki. :)
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    Did you know that one of the boys in Baldur's Gate in Siege of Dragonspear had a stuffed tarrasque?

90w8sdh5m6e4.png

Does he mean a tarrasque corpse that's been stuffed in the style of taxidermy? Or just a little Tarrasque Plush Doll?
    semiticgoddesslolien
    semiticgod wrote: »
    You can get any character in the entire city of Baldur's Gate to fight for you against the Ducal Palace doppelgangers, Sarevok, or any other fight anywhere in Baldur's Gate. Just charm them with the Nymph Cloak or Algernon's Cloak (the latter is near-mandatory for Tamoko and other characters who speak to you and walk away if not charmed), then order them to attack you while you're going from one area to the next, and they will follow you.

Ordinarily, you can't bring anyone from one section of the city to another--you can't walk Duke Eltan over to the Blushing Mermaid for a guy's night out, for example, since the area transition from the southwest section to the southeast section will only transport party members and familiars. However, you can smuggle charmed characters through the sewers and the Undercellars to transport them to a different section of the city. For example, you can charm Larze, take him into the Undercellars, leave the Undercellars from the south entrance, and then emerge from the sewers up to the area with Sorcerous Sundries. Take him into the Thieves' Guild and you can take him through the maze (he doesn't need to walk through the maze; you can order him to attack you from across the map right before you leave) all the way to the final fight with Sarevok.

The possibilities are endless. Charm Ithtyl the sorcerer barmaid and have her cast Chaos on the Ducal Palace doppelgangers, charm Larze and use him as a tank against Slythe's awful backstabs, or charm Halbazzer Drin and have him join the fight against Sarevok--and in SCS v32, Halbazzer Drin has a random selection of level 9 spells! Just bear in mind that the charm is dispellable, and if you accidentally harm one of your charmed allies, they will turn hostile.

Given enough time, you can marshal an entire army to stomp Sarevok into the ground or flood the Ducal Palace with a herd of peasants to serve as human shields protecting the Grand Dukes. The only limit is your imagination!

This is ridiculous and I love it. This is the kind of thing I would have never thought of.
    Wise_GrimwaldPermidion_Stark
    edited June 2019
    elminster wrote: »
    You can get any character in the entire city of Baldur's Gate to fight for you against the Ducal Palace doppelgangers, Sarevok, or any other fight anywhere in Baldur's Gate. Just charm them with the Nymph Cloak or Algernon's Cloak (the latter is near-mandatory for Tamoko and other characters who speak to you and walk away if not charmed), then order them to attack you while you're going from one area to the next, and they will follow you.

Ordinarily, you can't bring anyone from one section of the city to another--you can't walk Duke Eltan over to the Blushing Mermaid for a guy's night out, for example, since the area transition from the southwest section to the southeast section will only transport party members and familiars. However, you can smuggle charmed characters through the sewers and the Undercellars to transport them to a different section of the city. For example, you can charm Larze, take him into the Undercellars, leave the Undercellars from the south entrance, and then emerge from the sewers up to the area with Sorcerous Sundries. Take him into the Thieves' Guild and you can take him through the maze (he doesn't need to walk through the maze; you can order him to attack you from across the map right before you leave) all the way to the final fight with Sarevok.

The possibilities are endless. Charm Ithtyl the sorcerer barmaid and have her cast Chaos on the Ducal Palace doppelgangers, charm Larze and use him as a tank against Slythe's awful backstabs, or charm Halbazzer Drin and have him join the fight against Sarevok--and in SCS v32, Halbazzer Drin has a random selection of level 9 spells! Just bear in mind that the charm is dispellable, and if you accidentally harm one of your charmed allies, they will turn hostile.

Given enough time, you can marshal an entire army to stomp Sarevok into the ground or flood the Ducal Palace with a herd of peasants to serve as human shields protecting the Grand Dukes. The only limit is your imagination!

This is ridiculous and I love it. This is the kind of thing I would have never thought of.

Whilst not in the same league, this is what I have been doing in Candlekeep with an Enchanter named Xan:

cz8ulp09la4m.jpg

aupka69lip2t.jpg

I lured those two outside, but Mendas won't follow you outside.

I therefore used charm on a Watcher as per your idea, and got him to attack Mendas. When it became clear that the Watcher was losing the battle, Xan joined in, but it was the Watcher that landed the final blow. Perhaps I should have allowed the death of the Watcher in order to get his armour and used my second charm spell to bring another Watcher into the fray. The problem is getting the Watcher into the room without the Enchanter getting killed. Quite a dangerous procedure.

4bgek549ztln.jpg

In my set-up an Enchanter wouldn't stand little chance against Mendas due to the fact that I have given the Candlekeep Assassins better weapons and armour.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Wise_Grimwald: Does Charm Person turn the target hostile? I thought the charm cloaks were the only charm effects that didn't leave the target hostile after wearing off or if the target saved.
    ThacoBellJuliusBorisov
    @Wise_Grimwald: Does Charm Person turn the target hostile? I thought the charm cloaks were the only charm effects that didn't leave the target hostile after wearing off or if the target saved.

Certainly charm person also makes the target hostile after the spell wears off in my set-up as can be seen in my third image. I don't know if a mod might have affected this.
    [It wears off far too quickly for comfort when trying this out]
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    jmerry wrote: »
    The cats in Candlekeep may have turned traitor and refused to hunt the rats - but the tavern cat in Saradush is still doing his job.
    zwfpj6hqu5az.png

Hmmmm, maybe they only attack rats when tavern wenches are around...
    Montresor_SP
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Did you know that it's possible to play a paladin that doesn't use two-handed swords?

nd4pvm0tvb5y.jpg
    BelgarathMTHPokotaSanctifer
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Did you know that it's possible to play a paladin that doesn't use two-handed swords?

nd4pvm0tvb5y.jpg

Of course! You could play the Icewind Dale games, where the holy avengers are long swords rather than two-handed swords.
    semiticgoddessThacoBellDaevelon
    Rarely do I play them with 2-handed swords.
    BelgarathMTHThacoBellCrevsDaak
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214

nd4pvm0tvb5y.jpg

Blasphemy!
    elminstersemiticgoddess
    edited June 2019

nd4pvm0tvb5y.jpg

Uhh yea. A paladin can use Shield of Egons (especially an undead hunter). :)

Edit: Apparently this is one of the SoD introduced items that isn't available in BG2 :(
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367

nd4pvm0tvb5y.jpg

Is that a giant turkey leg she's wielding there? Go two-weapon fighting with her and she could be a giant turkey leg drummer in a rock band. She may fall (or more likely die early) if she goes that route but think of the RP potential!
    semiticgoddessmlneveseThacoBell
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    In the Iron Throne in Chapter 5, before you fight Zhalimar's team, Destus Gurn tells you there is a seventh person up on the top floor: "Mr. Lyle Espejo." Espejo is Spanish for mirror, and doppelgangers are sometimes referred to as mirrorkin, so it's possible they're talking about the doppelganger you meet on the top floor (who was taking the form of Emissary Tar).

How insightful!